"Walk Now For Autism"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Andrew2382, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Hi Everyone,

Did you know that every 20 minutes another child is diagnosed with autism? This has occurred in my family.

My son Rian was diagnosed with Autism last year and we have been taking it a day at a time. He has his good days and bad, and he has trouble overcoming the obstacles that sometimes stand in his way. However, he is making fantastic progress!

I am walking in the fight against autism at Walk Now for Autism, joining tens of thousands of other people united by a single cause and dedicated to raising money to find a cure and build awareness for autism. The money raised at Walk Now for Autism supports Autism Speaks mission to finding the causes, effective treatments and a cure for autism through funding essential biomedical research. One in every 150 children is diagnosed with autism. Autism Speaks directs 75¢ out of every dollar raised to autism research, awareness and outreach.

I am well on my way to reaching my goal. Please help me reach my goal by making a donation. You can make a donation online using the link below or visit Home - :: Walk Now for Autism Speaks :: and search for my name. You can also use the donation form located on my page to mail a check; please make checks payable Autism Speaks and mail to:

Autism Speaks/Walk Now for Autism
    5455 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 2250
    Los Angeles, CA 90036

Thank you for taking an important step in the fight against autism.

Donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
    Autism Speaks 501 (C)(3) Tax Id #: 20-2329938

Matching gift program: Many companies provide their employees with matching gifts. Please consult your employer on its matching gift guidelines and attach matching gift forms accordingly.

Follow This Link to visit my personal web page and help me in my efforts to support Autism Speaks, you can see a new picture of my son and what a cute kid he is.

2009 Walk Now for Autism Broward County - General Donation.

It really is for a great cause, many people don't know much about Autistic children and tend to treat them differently then others. My son loves to play and roughhouse like any other 2 and a half year old. The only difference is he has a speech delay and sensory issues.

If you are financially able I ask you to donate what you can so maybe we can find a cure.

Thanks to Gunny for letting me post this and everyone else who took the time to read it.

Sincerely,

Andrew Carrillo

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Still Goes. -Intense

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Bravo, Andrew. My cousin is Autistic and it's a struggle to see someone battle through it... his mother is AMAZING and is an absolute super hero for being able to raise him and another son and being single and balancing a job... etc. etc.

I would love to one day finally see a cure to this plague.

4. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    You're right David, its a huge struggle for both the parent and the child.

The divorce rate for parents with kids on the Autism Spectrum is near 90%. I was ignorant of Autism obviously before my son was born but now that I see him and others likes him, they really are beautiful children and are just as normal as the next child.

Some are more severe then others. We can only hope one day they find a cure. 1 out of 150 isn't just a problem, its an epidemic.

5. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    I have a son who has Aspergers Syndrome.

Please feel free to PM me.

6. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    Kudos to the thread starter. Nobody asks to be born. Whatever congenital condition they may have makes them no less valuable than the perfectly healthy. Whether it is a family member, a friend or a stranger, help is the order of the day.

I support and applaud any contribution by way of financial help or blood, sweat and tears toward making the lives of challenged children and families less burdensome.:thup::thup:

7. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Autism Speaks, Press Updates, Autism Speaks Responds to New Pediatrics Autism Study Putting Prevalence at 1 in 91 American Children, Including 1 in 58 Boys

NEW YORK, N.Y. (October 5, 2009) – Autism Speaks, the nation's largest autism science and advocacy organization, today responded to a new study published in the American Academy of Pediatrics' journal Pediatrics that found a parent-reported autism prevalence rate of one in every 91 American children, including one in 58 boys. The most recent ASD prevalence estimate reported by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in 2007 was approximately one in 150 (including one in 94 boys), making autism the most prevalent childhood developmental disorder. Autism Speaks said the new findings reinforced the fact that autism is an urgent and growing public health crisis that affects most individuals across their lifespan and demands a commensurate level of action from both the public and private sectors.

It's very awesome to see how much more aware we are becoming scientifically and as a society of Autism. 1 out of 58 boys is really an astonishing number if you really think about it.

20 years ago they would have incorrectly diagnosed my son with retardation...thats how far we have come in awareness anyway. Let's hope we can find the reason this happens and the cure!

8. jimbetty123

jimbetty123 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    autism is a medical problem where a person or child cant remember the things properly or cant understand the things as a normal one understands,in this case both family and person suffers.family should be very co-operative in these kind of situation and have some patience.it has a solution no need to panic about it

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Didn't know there was an autism problem in Vietnam...
    :eusa_eh:
    Grassroots Push for Vietnam Policy on Autism
    April 01, 2013 — Many countries around the world mark April 2 as World Autism Awareness Day, an event adopted by the United Nations in 2007 to bring global attention to autism spectrum disorder [ASD] and autism. Vietnam held its first symposium on autism last month, which many hope will lead to improved government policy on education and health guidelines for mental health disorders. It's part of the effort by parents of autistic children to push for improved care.
    See also:

Study: Autism Risk Not Increased by Early Vaccines
    March 29, 2013 — There is no link between receiving a number of vaccines early in life and autism, researchers said on Friday.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  10. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBQJIqagkQ]The Truth Series: Dangers of Vaccines Autism Mercury HPV MMR Thimerosal Aluminium Vaccinations p2 - YouTube[/ame]