"WALK AWAY FROM YOUR MORTGAGE." people are told

Zander, I suspect that we are going to see some deflation for the next few years as the economy continues to collapse. If my guess is right (and it is a guess as there are too many variables to know anything with certainty in this modern world of ours), those housing prices will fall a lot lower. I have an adopted son (one of many) who bought a condo with his new wife right after they were married. Like most property in San Diego, it has fallen tremendously in value and is worth about half of what he owes. He is paying $3000 a month on the mortgage, yet he could buy another similar condo and only pay 1500 a month.

Now, tell me with a straight face that you would tell him to continue paying that $3000 a month for the next twenty years when for the same money he could buy a full sized house. It is a business decision just like any other. He had no way of knowing that housing values would tank so seriously in San Diego. I tried to warn him before he bought, but that is water over the dam, now.

Fact remains that if treated like any other business decision, he should walk away. The bank took a risk in financing the loan. It was a business decision for them, too. they have made fifty thousand in interest, so up to now it has been very lucrative to them. It is time for them to take some of the loss, too.

A lot of other people feel the same way I do. It is not a question of morals or ethics, but just business. IF the banks were stupid enough to put too much of their money in real estate, then they did not diversify enough. Shame on them.

I have to disagree with you.

To walk away only because it makes "business" sense is dishonest. Sometimes people do not have a choice. They bought a home expecting their income to last and then through no fault of their own, they lose their income and they have no choice. But, if the reasoning is that... well, they can get a better deal on the other side of the tracks, is dishonest and immoral in my humble opinion.

The value of my house has plummeted. I could do better if I walked away from this one and bought at the bottom of the market, but that would be wrong. I borrowed the money for this house and I agreed to pay it back with interest. I took a risk just as the bank did and right now, it appears that I lost. That does not mean that the bank should take the loss for my decision.

Immie
I'm going to agree and disagree with what you wrote. I'm one of those that because of job may end up in trouble. I'm lucky in the sense of having bought in '95, so my house is still worth more than I paid, even with re-fi. Fixed mortgage, under 5% interest rate. Of course if I lose my job, likely, that won't matter.

Of course, I could declare bankruptcy, but unlikely to do so. I'll sell and probably come out slightly ahead in these times.

Now if I'd bought when this same home was selling for over twice I'd pay for? Should that warrant me walking away? Numbers: I bought in '95, $130k. In 2004 was valued at $380k. Does that make sense? It didn't to me. Since I had 3 kids and my elderly parents living with me, I wasn't about to sell and uproot all.

But what if I had? The same unit it now selling for @$200k. Lots of folks bought when it was much higher. Should they be able 'to walk away?' Regardless of circumstances of employment?

I'm not sure where you disagree with me.

For one thing, I said that sometimes people don't have a choice. They lose their income and there is nothing that they can do about it.

On the other hand, walking away simply because I can find a much better deal now that the market has collapsed is wrong.

Where do you disagree with me.

Immie

Yeah!! Those people were forced to sign mortgage papers!! Evil dirty corporations.....

Zander, I suspect that we are going to see some deflation for the next few years as the economy continues to collapse. If my guess is right (and it is a guess as there are too many variables to know anything with certainty in this modern world of ours), those housing prices will fall a lot lower. I have an adopted son (one of many) who bought a condo with his new wife right after they were married. Like most property in San Diego, it has fallen tremendously in value and is worth about half of what he owes. He is paying $3000 a month on the mortgage, yet he could buy another similar condo and only pay 1500 a month.

Now, tell me with a straight face that you would tell him to continue paying that $3000 a month for the next twenty years when for the same money he could buy a full sized house. It is a business decision just like any other. He had no way of knowing that housing values would tank so seriously in San Diego. I tried to warn him before he bought, but that is water over the dam, now.

Fact remains that if treated like any other business decision, he should walk away. The bank took a risk in financing the loan. It was a business decision for them, too. they have made fifty thousand in interest, so up to now it has been very lucrative to them. It is time for them to take some of the loss, too.

A lot of other people feel the same way I do. It is not a question of morals or ethics, but just business. IF the banks were stupid enough to put too much of their money in real estate, then they did not diversify enough. Shame on them.

He should do what he thinks is right. He can walk away, we have non-recourse loans in California. But to blame the bank is just silly.

So the answer to making a stupid business decision is to dump it on the rest of us? That's what they are doing. What happened to doing the right thing?

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you.

To walk away only because it makes "business" sense is dishonest. Sometimes people do not have a choice. They bought a home expecting their income to last and then through no fault of their own, they lose their income and they have no choice. But, if the reasoning is that... well, they can get a better deal on the other side of the tracks, is dishonest and immoral in my humble opinion.

The value of my house has plummeted. I could do better if I walked away from this one and bought at the bottom of the market, but that would be wrong. I borrowed the money for this house and I agreed to pay it back with interest. I took a risk just as the bank did and right now, it appears that I lost. That does not mean that the bank should take the loss for my decision.

Immie
I'm going to agree and disagree with what you wrote. I'm one of those that because of job may end up in trouble. I'm lucky in the sense of having bought in '95, so my house is still worth more than I paid, even with re-fi. Fixed mortgage, under 5% interest rate. Of course if I lose my job, likely, that won't matter.

Of course, I could declare bankruptcy, but unlikely to do so. I'll sell and probably come out slightly ahead in these times.

Now if I'd bought when this same home was selling for over twice I'd pay for? Should that warrant me walking away? Numbers: I bought in '95, $130k. In 2004 was valued at $380k. Does that make sense? It didn't to me. Since I had 3 kids and my elderly parents living with me, I wasn't about to sell and uproot all.

But what if I had? The same unit it now selling for @$200k. Lots of folks bought when it was much higher. Should they be able 'to walk away?' Regardless of circumstances of employment?

For one thing, I said that sometimes people don't have a choice. They lose their income and there is nothing that they can do about it.

On the other hand, walking away simply because I can find a much better deal now that the market has collapsed is wrong.

Immie
I would say that while it's lamentable that someone loses their home because of job loss, don't think there should be a government bailout on keeping it. Whether because of cost of mortgage or inability to sell at 'need price'. Indeed, if I can't get what I owe, I'll pay back the balance or file bankruptcy.

Immie
I would say that while it's lamentable that someone loses their home because of job loss, don't think there should be a government bailout on keeping it. Whether because of cost of mortgage or inability to sell at 'need price'. Indeed, if I can't get what I owe, I'll pay back the balance or file bankruptcy.

Sorry, maybe I am paying too much attention to the game, but I don't understand where we disagree.

For one thing, when I said that some people lose their home because of loss of income, I am not saying they should up and leave it. What I mean is that the banks will foreclose on them and then they lose the home. I am not saying they should just dump it in the bank's lap.

Immie

Immie

Sorry, maybe I am paying too much attention to the game, but I don't understand where we disagree.

For one thing, when I said that some people lose their home because of loss of income, I am not saying they should up and leave it. What I mean is that the banks will foreclose on them and then they lose the home. I am not saying they should just dump it in the bank's lap.

Immie

Whew, not often, but seems we're taking past each other. You are probably correct in that we agree. I don't think the government should be bailing out those who lose jobs or that paid too much for their homes. As for the later, if they try to 'walk away' the penalties should be so severe as to make it impossible for their future of home ownership.

Immie

Whew, not often, but seems we're taking past each other. You are probably correct in that we agree. I don't think the government should be bailing out those who lose jobs or that paid too much for their homes. As for the later, if they try to 'walk away' the penalties should be so severe as to make it impossible for their future of home ownership.

I don't think we disagree at all. :)

Immie

Immie

Immie

I'll trust you! ;) Truth is, I think we are and will be in tough times for a long time, Obama or not. Way too many paid way too much for their housing. Now they need to step back and say, "We're in this for the long haul, we'll not be 'moving up' until the grandkids are raised." Not happening. They are attempting to walk away, hoping to buy into the lower market.

Indeed, some of them are also dealing with job lose and subsequent double calamity. Yes, my heart goes out to them and if food, shelter, medicine is needed, should be there. But profit? No. Protection against loss? No.

Immie

I'll trust you! ;) Truth is, I think we are and will be in tough times for a long time, Obama or not. Way too many paid way too much for their housing. Now they need to step back and say, "We're in this for the long haul, we'll not be 'moving up' until the grandkids are raised." Not happening. They are attempting to walk away, hoping to buy into the lower market.

Indeed, some of them are also dealing with job lose and subsequent double calamity. Yes, my heart goes out to them and if food, shelter, medicine is needed, should be there. But profit? No. Protection against loss? No.

Like I said, I don't think we disagree, but I keep hoping that developer will come knocking on my door. I think my street would be a prime location for a condo. :eek:

Immie

Immie

Like I said, I don't think we disagree, but I keep hoping that developer will come knocking on my door. I think my street would be a prime location for a condo. :eek:

Immie

I wish you well and hope that developer comes knocking. Thankfully I'm living in an area where there wasn't 'too much' change. As my previous post illuminated, that's a relative thing. However, I'll probably be able to sell and see a profit, modest as it may be.

Immie

I wish you well and hope that developer comes knocking. Thankfully I'm living in an area where there wasn't 'too much' change. As my previous post illuminated, that's a relative thing. However, I'll probably be able to sell and see a profit, modest as it may be.

I am well and in no hurry to sell. The only reason I would even think about leaving this place (barring an offer I could not refuse from a contractor) would be the loss of income and forced removal by the bank. At this point, despite the fact that I could not sell my home for what I owe on it right now, I contracted with the bank to pay back what I borrowed from them and Lord willing, I'm going to do that.

Immie

Millions of people are now being advised to just walk away. Quit paying your mortgage and when they come to evict you five or six months later, just walk away. At least that way you get five or six months of rent free living. It will be another 20 years before those houses see their former valuation.
People who can afford their mortgage and understood fully the terms of the loan but who are now walking away from it because it's a bad investment are scum. Lots of these people doing this were speculators who helped create the housing crises in the first place.
So big deal, people who have no regard for personal property rights are scum.

I guess it's ok for a man's word to be no good any more - like his signature on a loan. That's one of the biggest problems in America today - nobody's word means anything any more.

He should do what he thinks is right. He can walk away, we have non-recourse loans in California. But to blame the bank is just silly.

So the answer to making a stupid business decision is to dump it on the rest of us? That's what they are doing. What happened to doing the right thing?

Personally, I would pay the mortgage as agreed while I pursued every legal option to modify the loan etc, refinance, etc.. I would not walk away unless I was financially unable to make the payment. I have to live somewhere, so why not do it in the home I agreed to buy? I can pay down the mortgage and with time, maybe even make some money. Either way, I'd honor my commitment unless it was financially impossible.

PS - if you walk away from a home your credit is DESTROYED for at least 10 years. You will be a renter for a long time.

The adopted son, a Korean, has stayed with the program and is still paying the three thousand a month. He too, feels that he agreed to the contract. He remembers what I told him several years ago and feels obligated to fulfill his contract.

Bye the way, the bank refuses to modify the contract.

With that in mind, I favor his walking away. What do you think?

Personally since the bank is being so insensitive I have told him to fuck the bank. He is considering it. Personally, I would throw a brick through the window of the bank but he won't.

I guess it's ok for a man's word to be no good any more - like his signature on a loan. That's one of the biggest problems in America today - nobody's word means anything any more.
A contract is a contract and is a legal document and as such is a legal document that is negotiable. If the bottom falls out on property valuation, then the contract under law is negotiable. That is a reality.

Personally since the bank is being so insensitive I have told him to fuck the bank. He is considering it. Personally, I would throw a brick through the window of the bank but he won't.

The bank is under no obligation to modify the contract.

I think your adopted son is doing the right thing. It may end up in the long run that he loses the home, but for now he is doing the right thing.

Immie

Are you advising him to file personal bankruptcy as well? Because that will be the result of walking away.

Millions of people are now being advised to just walk away. Quit paying your mortgage and when they come to evict you five or six months later, just walk away. At least that way you get five or six months of rent free living. It will be another 20 years before those houses see their former valuation.

In some cases that certainly does make sense.

It all depends on the numbers of each individual case, and if the RE prices stabilize and if the economy recovers.

RE prices climbed for decades even as real incomes did not even remotely keep up with those market value increases.

The average RE price MUST eventually reflect the proper relationship to the average family income.

I believe that that means that the median home price must eventually be somewhere between one and two years median family income.

In today's economy, that means that the median home price should be somewhere in the range of $100,000 to $200,000.

All of that is, of course, regionally dependent, so differt parts of the nation will certainly have diffent numbers, but the ratios of home prices to incomes will be in that range

Forum List

Back