Walk a Mile...

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Lots of people post on the education forum seemingly eager to criticize urban schools and the students who study in them. The comparisons with schools and students in wealthy suburbs are obvious and frequent.

However, if one considers the conditions under which each type of student is striving, it puts a lot of things in perspective.

I work with some kids who attend public schools with great, new facilities and who (most importantly) have tremendously supportive families at home. Their lives are structured, they eat nutritious foods at regular times, participate in sports and get regular additional exercise, and have the benefit of parents who can provide them with rather pricey private tutors; parents who literally structure their own lives around the education of their kids.

Then I get up and go work in a (very) urban school district where some very bright students have the deck stacked heavily against them. Some students work full-time overnight shift jobs because they have to make their own rent and/or that of other family members. Some students live with family or other guardians who pressure them to miss school (if not drop out entirely) in order to work instead. I see very intelligent young people struggling with a 'support' system at home that actively works against their education. These kids still show up as often as they can and work as hard as they can against all odds. At least a few days a week I end up without lunch because a student hasn't eaten in a few days and can't concentrate. Then consider that these young people have to go to and from school through some of the most dangerous streets and neighborhoods in the country. The effort some kids put into getting an education despite it all is downright inspiring.

So, the next time you shake your head at some statistics or put up the windows quickly while sweat rolls down your back because you turned into the 'wrong' street, take a minute to consider...

I chamber a round if I find I've turned down the wrong street. I'm still alive, too.

I do get your point. I had a friend that was very smart and funny and got good

grades.

Problem is he lived in the projects and caught a stray 9mm bullet in the elbow at

the bus stop one day.

That's not right that that happened.

I chamber a round if I find I've turned down the wrong street. I'm still alive, too.

grades.

Problem is he lived in the projects and caught a stray 9mm bullet in the elbow at

the bus stop one day.

I have seen almost the same from the street level as a Deputy Sheriff in a blk area of the country. Its not only the schools but family back ground. Mother in some cases work two jobs just to get through the week and have very little time for the kids. I don't think there are any easy "fixes" for the problem. Being Black is hard and just as hard for white in the same conditions so I don't think its a race issue but a local one and needs to be taken on by local people willing to work with the problem

grades.

the bus stop one day.

tare, post: 17191648, member: 31918"]Lots of people post on the education forum seemingly eager to criticize urban schools and the students who study in them. The comparisons with schools and students in wealthy suburbs are obvious and frequent.

However, if one considers the conditions under which each type of student is striving, it puts a lot of things in perspective.

I work with some kids who attend public schools with great, new facilities and who (most importantly) have tremendously supportive families at home. Their lives are structured, they eat nutritious foods at regular times, participate in sports and get regular additional exercise, and have the benefit of parents who can provide them with rather pricey private tutors; parents who literally structure their own lives around the education of their kids.

Then I get up and go work in a (very) urban school district where some very bright students have the deck stacked heavily against them. Some students work full-time overnight shift jobs because they have to make their own rent and/or that of other family members. Some students live with family or other guardians who pressure them to miss school (if not drop out entirely) in order to work instead. I see very intelligent young people struggling with a 'support' system at home that actively works against their education. These kids still show up as often as they can and work as hard as they can against all odds. At least a few days a week I end up without lunch because a student hasn't eaten in a few days and can't concentrate. Then consider that these young people have to go to and from school through some of the most dangerous streets and neighborhoods in the country. The effort some kids put into getting an education despite it all is downright inspiring.

So, the next time you shake your head at some statistics or put up the windows quickly while sweat rolls down your back because you turned into the 'wrong' street, take a minute to consider...[/QUOTE]

Lots of people post on the education forum seemingly eager to criticize urban schools and the students who study in them. The comparisons with schools and students in wealthy suburbs are obvious and frequent.

So, the next time you shake your head at some statistics or put up the windows quickly while sweat rolls down your back because you turned into the 'wrong' street, take a minute to consider...

Well certainly then -- you would not DENY these at risk ENGAGED students (or their parents -- if any) school choice or vouchers to move them OUT of danger --- would ya? :badgrin:

I understand the economic challenge. That's a failure of a different govt system or systems. And should be addressed if there is a flood of stranded struggling high schoolers that need full time employment to survive.

One issue at a time. Not ALL the responsibility of the schools. I've had several family members teaching and principaling in some of the worst schools in the country. I've "sat in" on classes there. Seen pictures of their 5 stripped cars and knife scars. So I understand what you're saying. And I'd rather not deal with the ones who DON'T have the intention of graduating. My first priority is the ones who are VICTIMS ant TRAPPED in those conditions..

I think it is a Lincoln quote "no man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child". You're doing good work and what a world it would be if everyone were capable of enough empathy to walk in someone else's place for a day.

I think it is a Lincoln quote "no man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child". You're doing good work and what a world it would be if everyone were capable of enough empathy to walk in someone else's place for a day.

Thanks.

So, are you doing your due diligence and reporting these student's employers for violating the law?

I am betting no!

So, are you doing your due diligence and reporting these student's employers for violating the law?

I am betting no!

Who are their employers?

You don’t know? Yeah, I don’t either, stupid. You were never a teacher.

Last edited:

I am betting no!

Who are their employers?

Man, you are sometimes so stupid!

You ask them in casual conversation! That would also be assuming you actually can communicate with your students.

They don't want to consider this, of course. It's easier to blame the teachers, the schools, the system.

**shrug**

Forum List

Back