Wal Mart Wins In Maryland

red states rule

May 30, 2006
This is the under reported story of the week. Of course it is a win for Wal Amrt and a huge loss for the Democrats

So that may be by the liberal media ignored it

Bottom line is, the Dems were taught a valuable lesson - they cannot order any company how much money to spend on healthcare and try to blackmail them into spending what they deem the correct amount

Because of the stupidity of the Dems in Md, Wal Mart will NOT build a distribution center in Baltimore

That is a huge loss of jobs and taxes for the state

April 17, 2007
Maryland Abandons ‘Fair Share’ Health Care Fight
Maryland is giving up on its effort to require Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to spend more money on employees’ health insurance benefits.

Maryland Attorney General Douglas Gansler said Monday, April 16, that the state will not seek U.S. Supreme Court review of an appeals court decision earlier this year—upholding a lower court ruling—that the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act pre-empted the Maryland law.

“The reason we are not seeking review is not because we think the law is unconstitutional. What the courts found was that the law was pre-empted by a very broad federal law called ERISA. We believe that seeking further review would not be successful,” Gansler said in a statement.

The decision by Gansler puts to an end a controversy that began in 2005 when the Maryland Legislature passed a bill, dubbed “Fair Share” by backer the AFL-CIO, to require employers with at least 10,000 employees in the state to spend at least 8 percent of payroll to provide health insurance benefits or to pay the difference into a state fund covering the low-income uninsured.

The way the bill was written, though, it would have only applied to Wal-Mart, the giant Bentonville, Arkansas-based retailer.

The measure became a model for similar bills that were introduced in about two dozen states last year.

But the Maryland measure, challenged by the Retail Industry Leaders Association, an Arlington, Virginia-based trade group of which Wal-Mart is a member, received its first blow when U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz said in July that the law was pre-empted by ERISA. Motz said the law violated the fundamental purpose of ERISA pre-emption: to permit multistate employers to maintain nationwide health care plans with uniform benefits.

That ruling chilled the interest of other states in enacting similar bills, with most of those proposals never moving past the committee stage. California legislators passed a Fair Share bill, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed it.

The second and last legal blow came in January when the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed Motz’s decision. The appeals court said Congress made pre-emption a part of ERISA to minimize the administrative and financial burden of employers in complying with varying state benefit laws and rules.

“Were we to approve Maryland’s enactment solely for its noble purpose, we would be leading a charge against the fundamental policy of ERISA and surely other states and local governments would follow,” the appeals court ruled.

Filed by Jerry Geisel of Business Insurance, a sister publication of Workforce Management. To comment, e-mail [email protected].

http://www.workforce.com/section/00/article/24/86/71.html

Yes it is a huge loss, but for some odd reason the liberals are and have ben against wal-mart and it slapped them in the face.
:eusa_boohoo:

Wal Mart does more for the working class daily, then any government program ever has

Yeah but the liberals have been against them for a long time. I do have my reservations on how they can crowd out the little guy in business by mass quantities and lower prices, but I'm saving a buck and it is convenient. And you know those tight asses are going in those stores as well and yet they have the balls to make a fuss over benefits. If it weren’t for Wal-mart a lot of folks would have never had decent careers in retail.

Im against walmart, and im a conservative. I dont want chiniese products in america. Even if it costs less. I will gladly pay more for everything if it is from america, and made by an american, NOT by illegals, or slave labor in china.

I'm just so relieved for Wal*Mart. The world's biggest retailer has finally been cut a break. I mean they must have been mighty humiliated when a town in Quebec booted them out because they wouldn't comply with provincial law. I suppose they've been recovering but it must have been a huge hit for them. But this certainly brightens up my day. I can walk with just that more of a spring in my step knowing the world's biggest retailer has once again fucked over its workers.

Im against walmart, and im a conservative. I dont want chiniese products in america. Even if it costs less. I will gladly pay more for everything if it is from america, and made by an american, NOT by illegals, or slave labor in china.

Where's Diogenes? Diogenes! I've finally found an honest man!

Damnit, Diogenes is apparently dead. Pity he couldn't wait.

I've found few of your posts 'conservative.' What do you base that on?

Wal Mart does more for the working class daily, then any government program ever has

yeah buying all those products produced by slave labor in China does wonders for manufacturing jobs here in America.

Have you SEEN "The High Cost of Low Prices"?

of course not... I would be surprised if you watched anything other than Hannity and Spongebob Squarepants

I'm just so relieved for Wal*Mart. The world's biggest retailer has finally been cut a break. I mean they must have been mighty humiliated when a town in Quebec booted them out because they wouldn't comply with provincial law. I suppose they've been recovering but it must have been a huge hit for them. But this certainly brightens up my day. I can walk with just that more of a spring in my step knowing the world's biggest retailer has once again fucked over its workers.

So Wal Mart does not have the right to close it's store when the union infests their company?

Look at what unions did to GM

yeah buying all those products produced by slave labor in China does wonders for manufacturing jobs here in America.

Have you SEEN "The High Cost of Low Prices"?

of course not... I would be surprised if you watched anything other than Hannity and Spongebob Squarepants

The jobs, the taxes it collects, the growth for it suppliers, the ability for the middle class to get more for their money, and the wealth it makes for it's stock holders

I see a lot of good things about Wal Mart

Libs hate Wal Mart because they will not cave in to the unions

Forum List

Back