Wal-Mart...The Fourth Reich?

I love Wal-Mart. I love the HUGE selection. I love that they are open 24 hours. I love that they have better sporting goods than Target. I buy a lot of my clothes there, and especially my kids clothes and shoes. I make what most would consider to be a lot of money, but why spend more when you don't have to?

When I was looking for bicycles to buy the kids for Christmas, I went to a local bike shop first. Poor selection, starting at $229. I went to Wal-Mart and found a huge selection of bikes and bought two...one for $50 and the other for $79.

Wal-Mart rocks, long live Wal-Mart!

I live in Wal-Mart ville. We have one SuperCenter and are getting at least three and maybe four more. There are about 80,000 people in my communty. Wal-Mart is a cancer. They aren't satisfied until they own every bit of every market in every community they enter. The two richest families in my community are both Wal-Mart heir families (Bud Walton's daughters). I used to work in retail, now I'm in insurance. Wal-Mart is getting ready to enter banking, insurance, and even medical service. They want to own the entire world.

Wal-Mart destroys towns and family business. It destroys economies by sucking the good paying retail jobs out of a community and replacing them with their crappy paying, no benefit jobs. Wal-Mart relies heavily on cheaply produced, virtual sweatshop produced products to make most of their profit margin. Wal-Mart's buying power gives them the ability to dictate prices to producers, so more and more jobs have to go over seas so producers can meet Wal-Mart's price demands and still make a profit. That is the damage Wal-Mart does.

acludem

acludem said:
I live in Wal-Mart ville. We have one SuperCenter and are getting at least three and maybe four more. There are about 80,000 people in my communty. Wal-Mart is a cancer. They aren't satisfied until they own every bit of every market in every community they enter. The two richest families in my community are both Wal-Mart heir families (Bud Walton's daughters). I used to work in retail, now I'm in insurance. Wal-Mart is getting ready to enter banking, insurance, and even medical service. They want to own the entire world.

Wal-Mart destroys towns and family business. It destroys economies by sucking the good paying retail jobs out of a community and replacing them with their crappy paying, no benefit jobs. Wal-Mart relies heavily on cheaply produced, virtual sweatshop produced products to make most of their profit margin. Wal-Mart's buying power gives them the ability to dictate prices to producers, so more and more jobs have to go over seas so producers can meet Wal-Mart's price demands and still make a profit. That is the damage Wal-Mart does.

acludem

Bitch, bitch, moan. Walmart's great. It brings all kinds of domestic goods to rock bottom prices, so people with little money can have a higher standard of living, plus it provides a plethora of low stress service sector jobs!

Low stress???? Clearly you've never worked in retail before. What domestic goods are you referring to? Most of Wal-Marts goods are made in foreign countries because producers can't afford Wal-Mart's price demands producing here in the U.S. Nice try.

acludem

acludem said:
Low stress???? Clearly you've never worked in retail before. What domestic goods are you referring to? Most of Wal-Marts goods are made in foreign countries because producers can't afford Wal-Mart's price demands producing here in the U.S. Nice try.

acludem

I meant goods are made available at rock bottom prices in domestic markets. That's true and it's two points nothing but net, not a nice try.

Clank. The basket doesn't count because of an offensive foul. In order to get those rock bottom prices, jobs have to be sent overseas for a net loss to the U.S. economy but a net gain for Wally World.

acludem

acludem said:
Clank. The basket doesn't count because of an offensive foul. In order to get those rock bottom prices, jobs have to be sent overseas for a net loss to the U.S. economy but a net gain for Wally World.

acludem

Americans demand too much for manual labor, and basic assembly. think of humanity as a commodity like any other.

hylandrdet said:
I was watching the CBS evening News on night when they reported a story on how China had given approval for Wal-Mart to make as many outlets as possible within their country. For some reason, that gave me the creeps.

Here in Tennessee, there are three towns that are going to the state's Supreme Court in hopes of blocking Wal-Mart's plan to build new outlets in their area.

This issue is going on in California, Texas and many other states.

Hmmm. Maybe we should had sent Wal-Mart to Iraq?

Tell me about your war against Wal- Mart.

Not only does Wal-Mart screw over American companies and import cheap crap from China, but they don't fund their employee's health care and the tax payers in CT have to ante up the difference. WALMART SUCKS!!!

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-husky0304.artmar04,0,3058369.story?coll=hc-headlines-business

Working Man said:
Not only does Wal-Mart screw over American companies and import cheap crap from China, but they don't fund their employee's health care and the tax payers in CT have to ante up the difference. WALMART SUCKS!!!

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-husky0304.artmar04,0,3058369.story?coll=hc-headlines-business

Hoooooboy. I'm thinking about getting my first job there...I suppose that wouldn't be a good idea?? Everyone's opinion please!! Is it really that bad?

P.S. What about Texaco, QwikTrip or Shell? Anyone's horror stories are welcome. :D

acludem said:
I live in Wal-Mart ville. We have one SuperCenter and are getting at least three and maybe four more. There are about 80,000 people in my communty.

Wal-Mart is a cancer. :link: You have medical studies documenting this I am sure :cuckoo:

They aren't satisfied until they own every bit of every market in every community they enter. :link: You have demographical studies documenting this also?

The two richest families in my community are both Wal-Mart heir families (Bud Walton's daughters). I used to work in retail, now I'm in insurance.

Wal-Mart is getting ready to enter banking, insurance, and even medical service. They want to own the entire world. :link: Funny, we missed the news stories documenting this

Wal-Mart destroys towns and family business. It destroys economies by sucking the good paying retail jobs out of a community and replacing them with their crappy paying, no benefit jobs. :link: I tried the DOC website and found nothing there confirming this. CAn you help me out please?

Wal-Mart relies heavily on cheaply produced, virtual sweatshop produced products to make most of their profit margin. What you are saying is that like any business, they market what sells best, from the people who give them the best prices?

Wal-Mart's buying power gives them the ability to dictate prices to producers, so more and more jobs have to go over seas so producers can meet Wal-Mart's price demands and still make a profit. That is the damage Wal-Mart does. :link: My son has worked for wallyworld since he was late 16. While they are stern they are not nazi's. For the record, he has received two promotions and about six raises. He has insurance and stock options. His schedule is adjusted to allow him to attend college full time. And once he graduates, if he wants to, there is an in-house management training program. Yah, they suck alright. :chillpill

acludem

You have the choice to work for WalMart, or work elsewhere. The people that are there *choose* to be there. If it's that crappy, they'd leave. You can get a job at WalMart just as quick as you can get a job at Pick & Save, Kohl's, McDonalds, or any *other* minimum wage job.

It's a little too late to cry "Foul!" after the fact.

(And 16 year olds aren't allowed to work full time, thus don't have to worry about the (non) existing healthcare benefits. :)

I work at a Wal-Mart and I make 7.75 an hour (I am good with people so I got raises). We are driving the local costco out of our town because we are building a supercenter plus another one on the other side of town. K-Mart is also closing. So with less competition, Wal-Mart I am sure will give us a raise, giving me about 3 bills a week. I don't need more than that. My trailer is paid for, and I own my own car. Plus, my trailer court has a pool and billiard room, included in the rent (400 bucks a month). I also have DirecTV, with Total Choice. I took our President Bush's advice: ownership society. I quit cigarettes and beer for a whole year, and I bought 100 shares of Wal-Mart stock and now I get dividends too. I'm healthy so I don't need health insurance. What more do I or anyone else need? I'm a part-owner of Wal-Mart! Let the foreign countries pollute their air with factories. I'd rather buy the stuff cheap at Wal-Mart!

Forum List

Back