Wal-Mart donates $600,000 to four Kentucky charities

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010
Wal-Mart donates $600,000 to four Kentucky charities
By Karla Ward
God's Pantry Food Bank, which serves 50 counties, including Fayette, received $200,000, Wal-Mart announced Monday.

Marian Guinn, chief executive officer of God's Pantry, said the $200,000 will be used to help expand outreach to underserved areas. She said God's Pantry currently provides food to about 211,000 people, but the organization estimates that about 300,000 people may be in need.

Dare to Care Food Bank, which serves Jefferson and surrounding counties, received $200,000; Elizabethtown-based Feeding America Kentucky's Heartland received $100,000; and the Kentucky Association of Food Banks received $100,000.

Read more: Wal-Mart donates $600,000 to four Kentucky charities - Latest News - Kentucky.com

I googled and in 2007 Wally world gave 272.9 million to charity making it the largest corporate donor to charity in the USA.

They are such an evil company.

Now think how many charities will suffer when idiots boycott Wal Mart.

And consider the impact on their generally low paid work force when idiots boycott Wal Mart.

This so doesn't work on me. It don't un-do who they really are. It's a diversion.

Walmart does a lot of great things as a corporation. They are one of the leading big box retailers when it comes to going "green." All the new stores they are building now are taking green initiatives. One they just built nearby uses a local stream to power the lights in the parking lot. It also collects rainwater on the roof to water the plants in the nursery.

As far as charity, few companies even come close.They donated several million to the University of Arkansas a few years ago, and just recently they gave another $1.5m for the UA Sustainability Research center, which is one of the leading research centers in the world.

For all the "evil" that Walmart does, they do a lot to give back, too. Plus, if it weren't for them, families would be paying twice the price for groceries.

Last edited:
Wal-mart has become who they are, exclusively, by exploiting every angle of the market. Interestingly, in their early days, a major part of their business image was "Buy American." Ironic, no?

Wal-mart has become who they are, exclusively, by exploiting every angle of the market. Interestingly, in their early days, a major part of their business image was "Buy American." Ironic, no?

You mean Wal-mart is run by savvy business men that want to be successful? HOW DARE THEY?!!?!

Give me a break. :eusa_hand:

You mean Wal-mart is run by savvy business men that want to be successful? HOW DARE THEY?!!?!

Give me a break. :eusa_hand:

Note that I didn't say they did anything illegal. But they're not exempt from public opinion about whether what they do, and have done, is right.

This so doesn't work on me. It don't un-do who they really are. It's a diversion.

It's not a diversion. It's a demonstration of the fact that very little if anything in this world is either all good or all bad. Shades of gray, learn to see them. ;)

Having lived in NWA for several years, the amount of money I saw the Walton family give back to the community there is staggering - and not all of it with their name stamped across it. One of the scholarships I used to attend U of A was from a Walton family endowment, but it took some effort to uncover that information. The company itself is separate from the family, of course. But they also do a lot of giving as evidenced by the OP.

Does that mean I have to approve of their business model or put myself through the PITA that is shopping in their stores? Nope. But a recognition that nothing is all bad is certainly in order.

It's not a diversion. It's a demonstration of the fact that very little if anything in this world is either all good or all bad. Shades of gray, learn to see them. ;)

Having lived in NWA for several years, the amount of money I saw the Walton family give back to the community there is staggering - and not all of it with their name stamped across it. One of the scholarships I used to attend U of A was from a Walton family endowment, but it took some effort to uncover that information. The company itself is separate from the family, of course. But they also do a lot of giving as evidenced by the OP.

Does that mean I have to approve of their business model or put myself through the PITA that is shopping in their stores? Nope. But a recognition that nothing is all bad is certainly in order.

Yes, shades of gray so they'll have something to point to and say "Nuh-uh, look! We're not all bad!" when they receive deserved criticism.

Wal-Mart is far from the only example of Taylorism destroying the middle class. The whole country has been franchised out. But Wal-Mart is probably the biggest offender, and is certainly the most visible.

Sorry GC, I can't agree with your analysis. Throwing a handful of change back at a community you've helped to destroy doesn't make everything O.K.

Yes, shades of gray so they'll have something to point to and say "Nuh-uh, look! We're not all bad!" when they receive deserved criticism.

Wal-Mart is far from the only example of Taylorism destroying the middle class. The whole country has been franchised out. But Wal-Mart is probably the biggest offender, and is certainly the most visible.

Sorry GC, I can't agree with your analysis. Throwing a handful of change back at a community you've helped to destroy doesn't make everything O.K.

If you call a couple hundred million "a handful of change", are you adopting? :lol:

If you call a couple hundred million "a handful of change", are you adopting? :lol:

A few hundred million is to Walmart, as a Handful of change is to you or I.

Forum List

Back