Wal-Mart: Bashing Christmas Every Day

HorhayAtAMD said:
Can you explain to me how the term "Happy Holidays" suggests that Kwanzaa and Hannukah are great while at the same time, bashing Christmas?

Christians are offended that they only hear Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. They feel slighted.

HorhayAtAMD said:
Can you explain to me how the term "Happy Holidays" suggests that Kwanzaa and Hannukah are great while at the same time, bashing Christmas?

Apparently, that's offensive because "Happy Holidays" groups Christmas with those other pagan observances. :rolleyes:

HorhayAtAMD said:

It's because they specifically mention Kwanzaa and Hannakuh while intentionally avoiding mentioning Christmas. It's as if they're saying that Kwanzaa and Hannakuh are ok to celebrate publicly while Christmas must be suppressed and hidden behind generic terms like "holidays."

Some people just don’t have a life I guess, they’ll bitch and make shit up to fill the gaps.

Just for the hell of it I search the Wal-Mart site with the word Christmas..
The result was this…
7967 items found for “Christmas”.
:funnyface

Mr. P said:
Some people just don’t have a life I guess, they’ll bitch and make shit up to fill the gaps.

Just for the hell of it I search the Wal-Mart site with the word Christmas..
The result was this… :funnyface

It always amused me that, on one hand, people bitch about the commercialization of Christmas and that every year we get further and further from the true meaning of Christmas.

But on the other hand, when they're at Walmart or Kohls or Sears or wherever, they want everyone to say Merry Christmas and have Christmas decorations up all over the place. "Happy Holidays" is offensive, but then so is using "Merry Christmas" to make money. I've never really grasped it, I probably never will.

The ClayTaurus said:
It always amused me that, on one hand, people bitch about the commercialization of Christmas and that every year we get further and further from the true meaning of Christmas.

But on the other hand, when they're at Walmart or Kohls or Sears or wherever, they want everyone to say Merry Christmas and have Christmas decorations up all over the place. "Happy Holidays" is offensive, but then so is using "Merry Christmas" to make money. I've never really grasped it, I probably never will.

Great point. Which is why you have to make judgement calls. You can't please everyone. The fact that any Christian would be bitching either way is just silly.

The ClayTaurus said:

I agree.

Personally I don't go shopping to get my holiday greetings. With that said, I don't think I've ever said Merry Christmas to anyone who did not return the greetings. I've had lots of interactions with Jews, they always wished me a Merry Christmas, not happy holidays. I always responded with Happy Hannuka or Happy New Year, with a thanks.

I know far fewer Muslims, but in the grocery stores, they too have wished holiday greetings. Seems to me that some are just looking for trouble.

Whether this is a legitimate beef or not, that first email response from WalMart seemed quite belligerent. For that alone I would be ticked.

While I am on the subject of that email, since when are red and white the traditional Christmas colors? I have always known them to be red and green.

Abbey Normal said:
Whether this is a legitimate beef or not, that first email response from WalMart seemed quite belligerent. For that alone I would be ticked.

While I am on the subject of that email, since when are red and white the traditional Christmas colors? I have always known them to be red and green.

I think all 3 colors qualify.

Abbey Normal said:

On the red and white, I noticed that today when I was out at Woodfield shopping. What's with that?

Hobbit said:
It's because they specifically mention Kwanzaa and Hannakuh while intentionally avoiding mentioning Christmas. It's as if they're saying that Kwanzaa and Hannakuh are ok to celebrate publicly while Christmas must be suppressed and hidden behind generic terms like "holidays."
I didn't see anywhere in the article where they specifically mentioned Kwanzaa and Hannukah without mentioning Christmas.
According to the New York-based Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, the controversy was sparked when a woman recently complained to Wal-Mart that the store was replacing its "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Happy Holidays."
True, they got rid of the word "Christmas" but didn't replace it with Kwanzaa or Hannukah.

From the article, the term Kwanza shows up 77 times, Hannukah shows up 200 times, Christmas shows up 7,970 times. Doesn't seem like they are hiding the term Christmas at all.

A company news release dated Nov. 1 promoting shopping at this time of year uses the words "holiday" or "holidays" 18 times, without a single mention of Christmas, Hanukkah or Kwanzaa.
No preferential treatment here of Hannukah or Kwanzaa over Christmas.

I'm not at all opposed to "Merry Christmas" being plastered all over stores in a predominantly Christian country, it doesn't bother me in the least. However, the complaint in this particular case just seems way out of touch with reality.

I simply think that all of this nonsense is a perfect example of why PC-ing everything just doesn't solve anything....AND...if we just let things happen the way they would naturally happen...everything would sort itself out just beautifully...

For example...we have this new Wal-Mart nonsense...and every year stores make the decision to drop "Merry Christmas" for the more pc-friendly, "Happy Holidays." Most stores do this NOT to be more opening and accepting to their non-Christian patrons, but rather to minimize the risk of the inevitable pain and sufferring that befalls businesses who do not "play along" with the pc-game.

This, in turn, ticks off many of the Christian patrons (~85% of the population) who whine and rage....Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa then becomes, not a time of enjoying family and being a little nicer to strangers in public becomes a time of complaining and feeling depressed about the state of this nation.

Why not just....

Allow each store to decide for itself. If, a Wal-Mart in NYC suddenly notices that many people are complaining about its cashiers only saying "Merry Christmas" it can weigh whether or not its worth it to risk angering some customers by changing and others by NOT changing. They might change because their customers are more diverse...whereas a Wal-Mart in Macon, Georgia or Wheeling, West Virgina...might understand and be able to decide that it would anger more customers to change in their town than to stay the same...

Why is this so difficult? Common sense really does make sense! Lets give it a try!!!

Gem said:
I simply think that all of this nonsense is a perfect example of why PC-ing everything just doesn't solve anything....AND...if we just let things happen the way they would naturally happen...everything would sort itself out just beautifully...

For example...we have this new Wal-Mart nonsense...and every year stores make the decision to drop "Merry Christmas" for the more pc-friendly, "Happy Holidays." Most stores do this NOT to be more opening and accepting to their non-Christian patrons, but rather to minimize the risk of the inevitable pain and sufferring that befalls businesses who do not "play along" with the pc-game.

This, in turn, ticks off many of the Christian patrons (~85% of the population) who whine and rage....Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa then becomes, not a time of enjoying family and being a little nicer to strangers in public becomes a time of complaining and feeling depressed about the state of this nation.

Why not just....

Allow each store to decide for itself. If, a Wal-Mart in NYC suddenly notices that many people are complaining about its cashiers only saying "Merry Christmas" it can weigh whether or not its worth it to risk angering some customers by changing and others by NOT changing. They might change because their customers are more diverse...whereas a Wal-Mart in Macon, Georgia or Wheeling, West Virgina...might understand and be able to decide that it would anger more customers to change in their town than to stay the same...

Why is this so difficult? Common sense really does make sense! Lets give it a try!!!

Gem, maybe I'm over extrapolating here, but your post makes not only total sense to me, but is also a defense of the 'state's rights argument' of a myriad of issues. Politics and pc issues are local, let the locality deal with them.

Forum List

Back