Wal Mart and Censorship

They won't sell CD's unless they can cut out the "bad" words from them.

"If you think about bands that are struggling or smaller than Green Day ... to think that to get record your out in places like that, but they won't carry it because of the content and you have to censor yourself," he said. "I mean, what does that say to a young kid who's trying to speak his mind making a record for the first time? It's like a game that you have to play. You have to refuse to play it."

Green Day lashes out at Wal-Mart policy - MSN Music News

it really boils down to the fact that Green Day is a liberal icon.

and Walmart is a rightwing, redneck icon.

much like when matter and anti-matter meet in the world of physics, the consequences are devastating.

red-neck-rat-hunting.jpg

Want a bit of irony:

Wal-Mart claims to be upholding some mythical standard, censoring music and all, to keep it "family friendly" ....

.... but, they sell all the Grand Theft Autos, which contains not only massive violence but also glamorizes crime in so many ways.

How's that for stupidity?

WalMart is not only an economic menace to any and every place it places its flag. It is also, when it decides to become the arbitor of what is socially acceptable in the arts, a menace to the free exchange of ideas that come of free speech in the arts.

Should WALMART be given that much power?

Of course not.

WALMART is a corporation...a creature whose existence depends on the laws of the land and the tolerance of the citizens of that land to exist at all.

It should not have rights, and it should certainly not be allowed to pretend that it has anything remotely approaching the RIGHT to censor the arts.

I realize that many of you believe that this sort of business is nothing more than a giagantic mom and pop store. You're completely wrong in assuming that.

I realize that many of you think it should have all the rights that the CITIZEN who owns a store might have, too.

WALMART is not a CITIZEN doing business.

It is a corporation, a legal fictional entity.

It is beholden to the people of the USA, and not the other way around.

WALMART is a symptom of the disease which is destroying our society, folks.

I don't entirely blame WALMART for becoming that because, after all, our laws have allowed it to thrive.

But I defintiely do think that we have allowed an economically predatory corporation to sytematically rape our nation.

The net effect of a WALMART coming into an economic community is an increase in poverty with all the adverse economic fallout which results from same.

And now we are going to allow this corporation to dictate artistic tastes, too?

Sad. Very sad.

Sadder still that many of you cannot understand what I am even talking about.

I understand that you can't fight fuckin' City Hall. Been tryin' for years, and every time you think you've won the war, another battle begins!

It is rather like pissing on an anthill, isn't it?

While your piss (and vinegar) is rather limited there seems to be an infinite supply of ants.

Now we understand each other perfectly.

Want a bit of irony:

Wal-Mart claims to be upholding some mythical standard, censoring music and all, to keep it "family friendly" ....

.... but, they sell all the Grand Theft Autos, which contains not only massive violence but also glamorizes crime in so many ways.

How's that for stupidity?

It just means that 50 Cent is right.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CySrshUMwIw]YouTube - 50 Cent Speaks on Imus and Oprah (Imus returns to work)[/ame]

Forum List

Back