Wal Mart and Censorship

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
They won't sell CD's unless they can cut out the "bad" words from them.

"If you think about bands that are struggling or smaller than Green Day ... to think that to get record your out in places like that, but they won't carry it because of the content and you have to censor yourself," he said. "I mean, what does that say to a young kid who's trying to speak his mind making a record for the first time? It's like a game that you have to play. You have to refuse to play it."

Green Day lashes out at Wal-Mart policy - MSN Music News

"If you think about bands that are struggling or smaller than Green Day ... to think that to get record your out in places like that, but they won't carry it because of the content and you have to censor yourself," he said. "I mean, what does that say to a young kid who's trying to speak his mind making a record for the first time? It's like a game that you have to play. You have to refuse to play it."

All the flak they get for being a "predatory business" when this is actually a good reason to hate them. Fuck Wal-Mart! I love Greenday and if they can't just be satisfied with that little "parental advisory" sticker then I will be happy to see Wal-Mart collapse.

Prostitution is legal in Nevada, should Wal-Mart be forced to sell it?

Prostitution is legal in Nevada, should Wal-Mart be forced to sell it?

I'm not saying they should be forced to sell anything, it's a free market out there. They don't sell lots of crap I'm sure, but I don't shop there so I wouldn't really know. I'm just posting an article to see how people feel about this. To me it's no big deal, because if you want a CD, go to the mom and pop record stores that really need your business. My daughter and I love our local record store, we spend a long time just checking out
music in there, and hanging out.

Good for Walmart. They have the right to decide what they sell. They aren't telling the artists they can't record whatever they want. They're just maintaining their family-friendly status.

I think it's hilarious.

Good for Walmart. They have the right to decide what they sell. They aren't telling the artists they can't record whatever they want. They're just maintaining their family-friendly status.

I think it's hilarious.

Aaah, but the artist should also have a right to say they can't sell it altered like that.

If memory serves, they were also the first to voluntarily implement that program at the beginning of its establishment.

I think it's hilarious.

Considering the adverse effect of the establishment of Wal-Marts on local wages, employment, and general economic affairs, "family-friendly" wouldn't be the first term to jump to mind. But then again, we all know how you feel about empirical evidence. ;)

I think it's hilarious.

Aaah, but the artist should also have a right to say they can't sell it altered like that.

It wasn't altered. Wal-Mart can't legally alter it and they didn't.

If memory serves, they were also the first to voluntarily implement that program at the beginning of its establishment.

I think it's hilarious.

Considering the adverse effect of the establishment of Wal-Marts on local wages, employment, and general economic affairs, "family-friendly" wouldn't be the first term to jump to mind. But then again, we all know how you feel about empirical evidence. ;)

Tell that to someone who hasn't watched Wal Mart employ people who couldn't get a job otherwise...and provide wonderful opportunities to them for advancement, as well as affordable health care and job stability.

I think it's hilarious.

Beeping out words is altering it.

Tell that to someone who hasn't watched Wal Mart employ people who couldn't get a job otherwise...and provide wonderful opportunities to them for advancement, as well as affordable health care and job stability.

I'm getting quite sick of hearing about "me pa came here from the old country and built himself a business with his own two hands." The nature of the widely varying spectrum of human experiences and behaviors necessarily renders anecdotal "evidence" useless in the process of policy formation, which is why analysis of statistical data is imperative. For instance, we could analyze the work of Goetz and Swaminathan in Wal-Mart and County-Wide Poverty. Consider the abstract:

After carefully and comprehensively accounting for other local determinants of changes in poverty, we find that the presence of Wal-Mart was unequivocally associated with smaller reductions in family-poverty rates in U.S. counties during the 1990s relative to places that had no stores. This was true not only in terms of existing stores in a county in 1987, but also an independent outcome of new stores built between 1987 and 1998.

Of similar empirical value is Zhang et al.'s The effects of Wal-Mart on local labor markets. Its abstract is similarly telling:

We estimate the effects of Wal-Mart stores on county-level retail employment and earnings, accounting for endogeneity of the location and timing of Wal-Mart openings that most likely biases the evidence against finding adverse effects of Wal-Mart stores. We address the endogeneity problem using a natural instrumental variables approach that arises from the geographic and time pattern of the opening of Wal-Mart stores, which slowly spread out from the first stores in Arkansas. The employment results indicate that a Wal-Mart store opening reduces county-level retail employment by about 150 workers, implying that each Wal-Mart worker replaces approximately 1.4 retail workers. This represents a 2.7 percent reduction in average retail employment. The payroll results indicate that Wal-Mart store openings lead to declines in county-level retail earnings of about $1.4 million, or 1.5 percent. Of course, these effects occurred against a backdrop of rising retail employment, and only imply lower retail employment growth than would have occurred absent the effects of Wal-Mart.

So honestly, Wal-Mart settlements effectively transfer wealth from the working poor to consumers and stockholders.

And Wal-Mart didn't do that, did they?
All Wal-Mart did was tell the artist they wouldn't stock the album. That's well within their right.

Meh, censorship of any sort is bad IMO ... but you have a point. Fine then, Wal-Mart should just not stock it instead of making a big case about it.

All Wal-Mart did was tell the artist they wouldn't stock the album. That's well within their right.

Meh, censorship of any sort is bad IMO ... but you have a point. Fine then, Wal-Mart should just not stock it instead of making a big case about it.

Wal-Mart didn't make a big case about it, Green Day did.
I refer you to the OP for clarification. :razz:

That is not true censorship. It is simply one business’s decision. It is real censorship when the government gets involved:

2 Live Crew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Navarro warned record store owners that selling the album may be prosecutable. 2 Live Crew then filed a suit against Navarro. That June, judge Jose Gonzalez ruled against the album, declaring it obscene and illegal to sell. Thankfully that ruling was overturned.

Wal-Mart didn't make a big case about it, Green Day did.
I refer you to the OP for clarification. :razz:

:razz: Green Day makes a big deal out of everything, so that's not surprising. I concede. Wal-Mart should just stop selling it. I buy mine from a better store anyway.

I go to Walmart for underwear, paper towels, cough drops, and picture frames.

I buy my music from Rhapsody.

Forum List

Back