Wake up to Domestic Surveillance

Discussion in 'Congress' started by flacaltenn, May 20, 2015.

1. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,675
    Lemme go out a limb here. Knowing what I know about how effective this magnitude of surveillance was 20 yrs ago in monitoring our more concrete threats, I would think that massive new Utah collection facility would best be used if it was reassigned to monitor the FEDERAL govt operations and provide queries to the press and the public about what the hell OUR government is doing and how they are doing it and an index of the content of their social media.

Maybe we knew the grocery lists for the Kremlin and where it was coming from. Do any of you really believe that YOUR government should know that much about you?

Even if it's only about your vodka and caviar preferences? That ought to be enough to test the "i'm innocent" theory..

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,645

for my part-----the FBI can know my fave caviar

3. Treeshepherd

Treeshepherd Grandidierite Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,884
    Interesting that you mention vodka. I went to buy a beer at a gas station with cash and they wanted to swipe my driver's license and make me stand in front of a camera to take my mugshot. I said no thanks and went somewhere else.

But, let's say the mother computer at the Utah data center knows that I bought a certain amount of alcohol, and it knows from the ALPR system when and where I drove my vehicle, and it knows that I have a kid and there's no record of me buying any healthy vegetables. It red tags me and tells child protective services to check me out.

Some people would be in favor of that, because they value public safety over privacy.

Herein lies the rub, though. When we get to a point where nobody has any secrets, and there's no way to get away with any devious behavior, we cease to have need of a conscience. We cease to have any need of morality and ethics. We simply behave in accordance with a punishment and reward system. We cease to be human.

The process of becoming a fully developed human involves making mistakes, and learning from failures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,675
    Excellent post. No need for a conscience AND no need to excersize any judgement muscles since the law and social correctness will be your guide. When I go out to Cali now, there are so many signs posted to quote the law for 2hat USED to be obvious shit. Like staying on the walkways or warning you about the potentially dangerous chemicals in every public buiilding.

Chris Rock recently announced he wont take college dates anymore because he is so far out of compliance with the speech and microagression codes. Major news journals have been cowed into removing the term illegal from their content about immigration. THIS is part of the calculus WHY the American public is sleeping through this assault on Civil Liberties. The "I am not doing anything wrong" crowd is perfect pickings for the folks who want to prescribe "wrong" .

Those 20 or so Tea Party affiliates who were taunted by the IRS were forced to disclose what they have been reading, where theyve worshpped and the content of every public statement. Along with questions about firearms, home schooling and other prying questions. The majority of elected reps probably dont have an issue with that kind of intrusion. And too many Americans dont realize they are VOLUNTEERING to be pumped for those same personal details without their knowledge --- when they say they dont care about the misuse of the patriot act.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. bendog

bendog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,930
    I really don't thing the govt (or private actors) should have the ability to use meta-data to trace every telephone number or website I, or any other person, accesses .... unless there's a reason the govt can identify why it needs the meta-data.

I sorta like the Mike Lee/A. King approach of mandating the phone companies keep meta-data for .... say 6 mos .... and have a way the govt can get a sort of search warrant. So long as the phone companies and private actors can't share the meta-data.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  6. Statistikhengst

Statistikhengst תיקון עולם, this will never end Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,648
    Just think of the song "Every step you take"...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

7. Book of Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,847
    very funny, McGhee.

8. Book of Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,847
    It is always good to see you, Flacaltenn, and to read your threads! They are very interesting and this one is no exception! Thank you for the definition on Boolean - my friend is exceptionally brilliant - makes others wonder why he talks to me! I actually had a cousin on the same email who told me on the phone- these people on your email are highly intelligent! They sound like geniuses, I can't understand what they are talking about. What are they doing with you? She has a PHd in education but said she couldn't keep up with them. I thought that was funny. lol.

9. prison/con.net

prison/con.net Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +191
    wtf are you going to do about it if big brother wants to spy on you? One, you won't know about it, and two, there's nothing that you can do, cause you're too chicken to do the only thing that has a chance of stopping them. and that is don't pay taxes to them.

10. Delta4Embassy

Delta4Embassy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,224
    What is it you're doing when not here that you don't want the government to know about it? :)