Waitress Tipping: A math question for leftys

Minimum wage does not usually apply to waiters
Why not let them decide?

Personally, I would rather they be paid a decent wage and not rely on me to subsidize their pay

Depends on the establishment.
Both my kids worked for an upper Italian restaurant in Indy while they went to college.
They worked Fri-Sat-Sun only, and usually made at least $500 a week.
If they were paid $15/hr they would only bring home $260 a week
High end restaurants should pay higher wages
They don’t pay their chefs $15 an hour

True, but a chef is a highly trained individual with a degree whose skill is absolutely critical to the success of the business. And in high end restaurants the wait staff can earn $45k to over $100k a year.

they wouldn't at minimum wage salaries either
Not necessarily true. Will these wages on the books (and the highest revenues form hihher menu prices), employers have an easier time offering these benefit to their employees. And, like any hourly employees, they willbe more likely to get raises, over time.

But, even with the assumption you made being always true, servers will be more economically secure and mobile, as more of them will document their full income.
I want waitresses to dictate their own future not you and me.
That's nice. So leave the thread, then. Stop discussing it.

Prove it ...

Here is what the TOP waitresses in some of the biggest tourist destinations make per year Dorfus.
$400 a day? :lol:

Best Paying Cities for Waiters and Waitresses

The highest paid in the waiter and waitress profession work in the metropolitan areas of Kahului, Hawaii, Salinas, California, and Mount Vernon, Washington. The San Francisco area also pays well, as does the city of Napa, California.

Kahului, Hawaii $39,870
Salinas, California $37,110
Mount Vernon, Washington $36,190
San Francisco $36,090
Napa, California $35,310

Once again 90% of all don't report all their tips..

Sorry dude - I have known a LOT of waiters, waitresses and bartenders well enough that I believe what they told me honestly.
True, they don't report all their tips but NONE of them were knocking down $400 a night.
One exception was a very hot stripper I knew who on a really GREAT night would bring home $300-400.
Her average night was $150-200 in waitressing tips and lap dances.
You live in a parallel universe

A good server pulls in $400 a night? Working five shifts a week would have them making $96,000 a year. :lol:

That might be the case in a few hot spots in a tourist detestation, but that isn't the case for most servers.
Many servers may not work 40 hours a week. BTW, if the average price paid by customer for a meal is 30 dollars, that is drinks and food, and it is a table of 4, the tip most likely for that table will be around 20 dollars. And most waitresses have multiple tables per my example in here. and I suspect that a table would turn over five times a shift. 400 a night isn't every waitress, but it is quite a lot of em, I'd say a million of em at least around the country. And people with no research want to tell them what they should do. it's amazing I tell ya, amazing. all them leftists good doers who know fking everything. LOL.

You don’t have to convince me about tips. I fall on the side of tips and not a min. wage in this argument. I made bank when I served, but the money isn’t always steady and the hours can be grueling. Certainly if your spouse isn’t in the industry.

Prove it ...

Here is what the TOP waitresses in some of the biggest tourist destinations make per year Dorfus.

The highest paid in the waiter and waitress profession work in the metropolitan areas of Kahului, Hawaii, Salinas, California, and Mount Vernon, Washington. The San Francisco area also pays well, as does the city of Napa, California.

Kahului, Hawaii $39,870
San Francisco $36,090
Napa, California $35,310

Sorry dude - I have known a LOT of waiters, waitresses and bartenders well enough that I believe what they told me honestly.
True, they don't report all their tips but NONE of them were knocking down $400 a night.
One exception was a very hot stripper I knew who on a really GREAT night would bring home $300-400.
A server or bartender may have a great night and make $400. However, that is clearly not the norm (as all the data shows). Furthermore, most servers are living a subsitence existence and do not save this money for the "slow times". In fact, most are counting on these "great nights" to catch up from past slow times.

Prove it ...

Kahului, Hawaii $39,870
San Francisco $36,090
Napa, California $35,310

It was just an a example...sometimes my wife would bring home $50 bucks, sometimes $600..

She only had to work three or four days to bring home almost as much as I working 50~ 60 hours a week after taxes (but didn't have my benefits of health insurance, 401k ...)

When I co-owned a restauarant, we paid our servers about 3x the server minimum wage. It was worth every penny. We had better people who stayed longer and were more reliable, and it made the restaurant a desirable place to work. Our servers were happier and more financially secure, as their paychecks were actually enough to cover their taxes (many if not most servers get served with a tax bill every year, at current hourly wages). This only raised our labor costs overall by about 6%, easily rolled into menu prices. This may be a luxury that chain restaurants cannot afford, when competing with other chains not doing this.

Go fuck your self I am not your little monkey! You prove youir assertion dumb fuck!
so you make a ridiculous comment and the other dude is a dumb fk? how does that work? You didn't provide any evidence to support your claim.
I make a ridiculous comment? How many of your waitresses make 400 poer night! Go fuck your self!
millions do. Ever heard of restaurants that serve expensive meals? you know where 10 tables where the bill was 100 dollars per table with just one sitting will get a waitress 200 bucks. How many times you think a table turns over a night? most likely five times. can you do the math? I find it interesting that you all never use logic to fight your battles. strange concept to enter a debate with "cause you say so" arguments. it is typical in here and you sir are one of em.
Your on drugs gop fuck your self!
again, what is it you got to counter other than telling people you disagree with to go fk themselves?
To stupid to waist my time with!

Don't they have gay strip clubs? A freind and I walked I to a strange bar in L.A. one night it turned out to be some chipandales thing, we were going to leave but the bar tender told us to stick around the girls were all over us when the show ended.

I am sure they do. I’ve never attended any strip club before. I might be a homo, but I am an old-fashioned gent for the most part.

Yeah you are one of the cool gays, if the world had more gays like you it wouldn't be an issue.

N
they wouldn't at minimum wage salaries either
Not necessarily true. Will these wages on the books (and the highest revenues form hihher menu prices), employers have an easier time offering these benefit to their employees. And, like any hourly employees, they willbe more likely to get raises, over time.

But, even with the assumption you made being always true, servers will be more economically secure and mobile, as more of them will document their full income.
I want waitresses to dictate their own future not you and me.
That's nice. So leave the thread, then. Stop discussing it.
:dunno:

so you make a ridiculous comment and the other dude is a dumb fk? how does that work? You didn't provide any evidence to support your claim.
I make a ridiculous comment? How many of your waitresses make 400 poer night! Go fuck your self!
millions do. Ever heard of restaurants that serve expensive meals? you know where 10 tables where the bill was 100 dollars per table with just one sitting will get a waitress 200 bucks. How many times you think a table turns over a night? most likely five times. can you do the math? I find it interesting that you all never use logic to fight your battles. strange concept to enter a debate with "cause you say so" arguments. it is typical in here and you sir are one of em.
Your on drugs gop fuck your self!
again, what is it you got to counter other than telling people you disagree with to go fk themselves?
To stupid to waist my time with!
Translation, I got nothing

by the way, it’s ‘too’stupid but fk why act educated while you’re ranting

When I co-owned a restauarant, we paid our servers about 3x the server minimum wage. It was worth every penny. We had better people who stayed longer and were more reliable, and it made the restaurant a desirable place to work. Our servers were happier and more financially secure, as their paychecks were actually enough to cover their taxes (many if not most servers get served with a tax bill every year, at current hourly wages). This only raised our labor costs overall by about 6%, easily rolled into menu prices. This may be a luxury that chain restaurants cannot afford, when competing with other chains not doing this.

So you paid them what $6.39 an hour??? Did you not encourage tips?

Minimum wage does not usually apply to waiters
Why not let them decide?

Personally, I would rather they be paid a decent wage and not rely on me to subsidize their pay

They did in Vermont was it? They raised the minimum wage ( for people who got tips) then lowered it because bar tenders and such were complaining ..

But I love that line that "tips" don't matter...ye because they are trying to even the wage between good waitresses and lousy ones..

Servers are there for the owner of the business
He should pay them, not the customers

Sure. He should increase his prices by 20%, pay his wait staff the minimum wage, and post signs forbidding tips.

How long does he stay in business?
How long does he keep a wait staff?

Who makes more, A great waitress making $400 bucks in tips a night, or a waitress being paid a minimum wage of say $15 bucks an hour no tips allowed?

Was reading this story and these two quotes stood out..

Why its better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage than argue over tips - MarketWatch

Tipped workers are unambiguously better off in cities where tipped workers are paid the regular minimum wage, regardless of tips,” said David Cooper, senior economic analyst at the Economic Policy Institute.

Does eliminating tips help wait staff?
Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

Why it’s better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage (than argue over tips)
By Kari Paul
Published: Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm ET

A new analysis finds Washington, D.C. and other cities may benefit from eliminating tips
MW-FE589_waitre_ZH_20170127101748.jpg

Waitresses are overworked and depressed, studies show.
Does eliminating tips help wait staff? Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

After San Francisco and Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage for all workers, employees in the restaurant industry saw improvements, according to a study by the Economic Policy Institute released on Wednesday. The study compared those two cities to Washington D.C., where a similar policy has been proposed. It found Washington, D.C. and other cities would benefit from a “one fair wage policy.”

Tipped workers are unambiguously better off in cities where tipped workers are paid the regular minimum wage, regardless of tips,” said David Cooper, senior economic analyst at the Economic Policy Institute.

Don’t miss: If you can’t afford to tip 20%, should you go to a different restaurant?

The D.C. Council is considering overturning Initiative 77, a measure passed in June that would gradually raise D.C.’s tipped minimum wage over eight years until it’s equal to the federal minimum wage in 2026, under pressure from the restaurant industry.

The National Restaurant Association and the Metropolitan Washington Area Restaurant Association have arguedraising the minimum wage for restaurant workers would lead to layoffs, closures, and a decrease in pay to employees due to a decline in tipping from customers. “We believe that this initiative would deal a huge blow to our local industry and would make it more difficult to build and sustain the kinds of safe and professional work environments we believe should be the standard,” a “Vote No 77” campaign launched by Washington, D.C. bar owners said.

I can't tell from.your OP which side of the issue you are on.

Personally I believe they would be better off getting paid a living hourly wage.

But do THEY think that? Their opinion matters.

It comes down to this choice:

Do I want a job situation where I make a regular, mediocre income no matter how I work or one where I can make a lot more if I bust my butt and provide superior service? The American choice has usually been the latter.
At my age and situation none of my friends or family are waiters anymore, but when I was younger there were many, and I clearly remember several of them mentioning how much they hated depending on tips for a living.

Besides, paying them a living wage doesn't me you can't tip them a bit if they do an exceptional job now does it?
When everything on the menu costs more because of the higher wages people will not tip

I have a friend who made a LOT of money working a couple nights a week tending bar for many years at the same place--had her regulars, could bring home hundreds in an evening. I know she would not have been clapping for $15 an hour.

"Hundreds" OL SERIOUS? What was she doing with those "regulars" back in the kitchen? :)
Bartenders. Not every night, mindya, but apparently you get some folks drunk enough they are big tippers.

I have a friend who made a LOT of money working a couple nights a week tending bar for many years at the same place--had her regulars, could bring home hundreds in an evening. I know she would not have been clapping for $15 an hour.

"Hundreds" OL SERIOUS? What was she doing with those "regulars" back in the kitchen? :)
Bartenders. Not every night, mindya, but apparently you get some folks drunk enough they are big tippers.
I enjoy this level of stupid

I know waiters and bartenders that will take in over 20 an hour with tips

But yeah let's pay them more charge more for everything and have them take home less money

Who makes more, A great waitress making $400 bucks in tips a night, or a waitress being paid a minimum wage of say $15 bucks an hour no tips allowed?

Was reading this story and these two quotes stood out..

Why its better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage than argue over tips - MarketWatch

Does eliminating tips help wait staff?
Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

Why it’s better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage (than argue over tips)
By Kari Paul
Published: Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm ET

A new analysis finds Washington, D.C. and other cities may benefit from eliminating tips
MW-FE589_waitre_ZH_20170127101748.jpg

Waitresses are overworked and depressed, studies show.
Does eliminating tips help wait staff? Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

After San Francisco and Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage for all workers, employees in the restaurant industry saw improvements, according to a study by the Economic Policy Institute released on Wednesday. The study compared those two cities to Washington D.C., where a similar policy has been proposed. It found Washington, D.C. and other cities would benefit from a “one fair wage policy.”

Don’t miss: If you can’t afford to tip 20%, should you go to a different restaurant?

The D.C. Council is considering overturning Initiative 77, a measure passed in June that would gradually raise D.C.’s tipped minimum wage over eight years until it’s equal to the federal minimum wage in 2026, under pressure from the restaurant industry.

The National Restaurant Association and the Metropolitan Washington Area Restaurant Association have arguedraising the minimum wage for restaurant workers would lead to layoffs, closures, and a decrease in pay to employees due to a decline in tipping from customers. “We believe that this initiative would deal a huge blow to our local industry and would make it more difficult to build and sustain the kinds of safe and professional work environments we believe should be the standard,” a “Vote No 77” campaign launched by Washington, D.C. bar owners said.

I can't tell from.your OP which side of the issue you are on.

Personally I believe they would be better off getting paid a living hourly wage.

But do THEY think that? Their opinion matters.

It comes down to this choice:

Do I want a job situation where I make a regular, mediocre income no matter how I work or one where I can make a lot more if I bust my butt and provide superior service? The American choice has usually been the latter.
At my age and situation none of my friends or family are waiters anymore, but when I was younger there were many, and I clearly remember several of them mentioning how much they hated depending on tips for a living.

Besides, paying them a living wage doesn't me you can't tip them a bit if they do an exceptional job now does it?
When everything on the menu costs more because of the higher wages people will not tip

Can't speak for everyone, but I would still tip, I like tipping when it comes to my favorite bars or restaurant's , that way they know me and don't fuck up my order, the best thing in the world is walking in and not saying a word and have my favorite beverage waiting for me. Or when getting a haircut she knows exactly what to do and I am in and out in a flash ..

I do know a bartender at the Boise restaurant who told me he's making 2-3 hundred on average.
But this restaurant and bar goes through more booze than any other in town.
Barbacoa Boise

Forum List

Back