Waitress Tipping: A math question for leftys

Prove it ...

Here is what the TOP waitresses in some of the biggest tourist destinations make per year Dorfus.
$400 a day? :lol:

Best Paying Cities for Waiters and Waitresses

The highest paid in the waiter and waitress profession work in the metropolitan areas of Kahului, Hawaii, Salinas, California, and Mount Vernon, Washington. The San Francisco area also pays well, as does the city of Napa, California.

Kahului, Hawaii $39,870
Salinas, California $37,110
Mount Vernon, Washington $36,190
San Francisco $36,090
Napa, California $35,310

How Much Can a Waiter and Waitress Expect to Get Paid?

Minimum wage does not usually apply to waiters
Why not let them decide?

Personally, I would rather they be paid a decent wage and not rely on me to subsidize their pay

Depends on the establishment.
Both my kids worked for an upper Italian restaurant in Indy while they went to college.
They worked Fri-Sat-Sun only, and usually made at least $500 a week.
If they were paid $15/hr they would only bring home $260 a week
High end restaurants should pay higher wages
They don’t pay their chefs $15 an hour

A little off-subject maybe but I've owned both a nightclub and a First Data agency and I can confirm that waiters/waitresses are where the majority of your credit card theft comes from. So, if they can't bring your bill to the table and do a wireless transaction in front of you, pay at the front counter. Don't ever let your credit/debit card out of your sight.
Happened to me the night the BlackHawks won their last championship. I tried to tell inform the owner the next day that my card had been hacked and who the waitress was, and he avoided me. I now avoid the restaurant. It's been almost three years now. I use to go once a week.

I also don't believe we were the only ones that night. It was fking packed.
I never use a credit card! I cary enough cash for the day and that is it! Mother fuckers are not going to track my purchases or where abouts! Credit cards are only in case of emergency all most all my credit card purchases happen when the car breaks down. My car rarely ever breaks down because I take care of it! Oh ya hotels alos where I use it only because most will not rent you a room with out one!

Ahh .we see you love going to those crack whore hotels..

A good server pulls in $400 a night? Working five shifts a week would have them making $96,000 a year. :lol:

That might be the case in a few hot spots in a tourist detestation, but that isn't the case for most servers.
He is talking titty bars not the Waffle House

Oh, that is certainly out of my area of knowledge. I spent many years on the floor and behind the bar, but never at a strip club.

Prove it ...

Here is what the TOP waitresses in some of the biggest tourist destinations make per year Dorfus.
$400 a day? :lol:

Best Paying Cities for Waiters and Waitresses

The highest paid in the waiter and waitress profession work in the metropolitan areas of Kahului, Hawaii, Salinas, California, and Mount Vernon, Washington. The San Francisco area also pays well, as does the city of Napa, California.

Kahului, Hawaii $39,870
Salinas, California $37,110
Mount Vernon, Washington $36,190
San Francisco $36,090
Napa, California $35,310

Once again 90% of all don't report all their tips..

they wouldn't at minimum wage salaries either
Not necessarily true. With these wages on the books (and the higher revenues form higher menu prices), employers have an easier time offering these benefits to their employees. And, like any hourly employees, they will be more likely to get raises, over time.

But, even with the assumption you made being always true, servers will still be more economically secure and mobile, as more of them will document their full income.

Who makes more, A great waitress making $400 bucks in tips a night, or a waitress being paid a minimum wage of say $15 bucks an hour no tips allowed?

Was reading this story and these two quotes stood out..

Why its better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage than argue over tips - MarketWatch

Tipped workers are unambiguously better off in cities where tipped workers are paid the regular minimum wage, regardless of tips,” said David Cooper, senior economic analyst at the Economic Policy Institute.

Does eliminating tips help wait staff?
Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

Why it’s better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage (than argue over tips)
By Kari Paul
Published: Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm ET

A new analysis finds Washington, D.C. and other cities may benefit from eliminating tips
MW-FE589_waitre_ZH_20170127101748.jpg

Waitresses are overworked and depressed, studies show.
Does eliminating tips help wait staff? Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

After San Francisco and Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage for all workers, employees in the restaurant industry saw improvements, according to a study by the Economic Policy Institute released on Wednesday. The study compared those two cities to Washington D.C., where a similar policy has been proposed. It found Washington, D.C. and other cities would benefit from a “one fair wage policy.”

Tipped workers are unambiguously better off in cities where tipped workers are paid the regular minimum wage, regardless of tips,” said David Cooper, senior economic analyst at the Economic Policy Institute.

Don’t miss: If you can’t afford to tip 20%, should you go to a different restaurant?

The D.C. Council is considering overturning Initiative 77, a measure passed in June that would gradually raise D.C.’s tipped minimum wage over eight years until it’s equal to the federal minimum wage in 2026, under pressure from the restaurant industry.

The National Restaurant Association and the Metropolitan Washington Area Restaurant Association have arguedraising the minimum wage for restaurant workers would lead to layoffs, closures, and a decrease in pay to employees due to a decline in tipping from customers. “We believe that this initiative would deal a huge blow to our local industry and would make it more difficult to build and sustain the kinds of safe and professional work environments we believe should be the standard,” a “Vote No 77” campaign launched by Washington, D.C. bar owners said.

Your typical waitress at typical restaurant does not make 400 per night! So lets start there!People with math skills woulod rather deal in the possible instead of your shit!

Prove it ...
Go fuck your self I am not your little monkey! You prove youir assertion dumb fuck!
so you make a ridiculous comment and the other dude is a dumb fk? how does that work? You didn't provide any evidence to support your claim.
I make a ridiculous comment? How many of your waitresses make 400 poer night! Go fuck your self!
millions do. Ever heard of restaurants that serve expensive meals? you know where 10 tables where the bill was 100 dollars per table with just one sitting will get a waitress 200 bucks. How many times you think a table turns over a night? most likely five times. can you do the math? I find it interesting that you all never use logic to fight your battles. strange concept to enter a debate with "cause you say so" arguments. it is typical in here and you sir are one of em.

A good server pulls in $400 a night? Working five shifts a week would have them making $96,000 a year. :lol:

That might be the case in a few hot spots in a tourist detestation, but that isn't the case for most servers.
Even in tourist destinations it is only seasonal! You can not average that year round any where! If you could I would not be doing what I am doing! Bartending never felt like work! What I do feels like work!

they wouldn't at minimum wage salaries either
Not necessarily true. Will these wages on the books (and the highest revenues form hihher menu prices), employers have an easier time offering these benefit to their employees. And, like any hourly employees, they willbe more likely to get raises, over time.

But, even with the assumption you made being always true, servers will be more economically secure and mobile, as more of them will document their full income.
I want waitresses to dictate their own future not you and me.

Your typical waitress at typical restaurant does not make 400 per night! So lets start there!People with math skills woulod rather deal in the possible instead of your shit!

Prove it ...
Go fuck your self I am not your little monkey! You prove youir assertion dumb fuck!
so you make a ridiculous comment and the other dude is a dumb fk? how does that work? You didn't provide any evidence to support your claim.
I make a ridiculous comment? How many of your waitresses make 400 poer night! Go fuck your self!
millions do. Ever heard of restaurants that serve expensive meals? you know where 10 tables where the bill was 100 dollars per table with just one sitting will get a waitress 200 bucks. How many times you think a table turns over a night? most likely five times. can you do the math? I find it interesting that you all never use logic to fight your battles. strange concept to enter a debate with "cause you say so" arguments. it is typical in here and you sir are one of em.
Your on drugs gop fuck your self!

He is talking titty bars not the Waffle House

Oh, that is certainly out of my area of knowledge. I spent many years on the floor and behind the bar, but never at a strip club.

Don't they have gay strip clubs? A freind and I walked I to a strange bar in L.A. one night it turned out to be some chipandales thing, we were going to leave but the bar tender told us to stick around the girls were all over us when the show ended.

Ever heard of restaurants that serve expensive meals? you know where 10 tables where the bill was 100 dollars per table with just one sitting will get a waitress 200 bucks
No restauarant would allow only one server to handle such a crowd.

Prove it ...

It seems to me you are still on a bender from last night.

Even in tourist destinations it is only seasonal! You can not average that year round any where! If you could I would not be doing what I am doing! Bartending never felt like work! What I do feels like work!

The business is certainly seasonal. Feast than famine. Sales always drop off in September b/c parents just shelled out loads of money on school clothes, books, etc. January is tough month as well. Most people tighten their belt after the holidays.

I can't tell from.your OP which side of the issue you are on.

Personally I believe they would be better off getting paid a living hourly wage.

But do THEY think that? Their opinion matters.

It comes down to this choice:

Do I want a job situation where I make a regular, mediocre income no matter how I work or one where I can make a lot more if I bust my butt and provide superior service? The American choice has usually been the latter.
At my age and situation none of my friends or family are waiters anymore, but when I was younger there were many, and I clearly remember several of them mentioning how much they hated depending on tips for a living.

Besides, paying them a living wage doesn't me you can't tip them a bit if they do an exceptional job now does it?

They must of been bad at it/ wrong place.

My wife used to make a killing at it , she used to worked at Applebee's, IHOP in Chicago. It's one of the peoplele pleaser skill jobs .

But the compensation servers receive typically does not include benefits of any kind. No 401(k) match, no paid time off, and no health insurance. So servers are not very secure, economically.
they wouldn't at minimum wage salaries either. tipping makes them unreported dollars. hmmmmmm

Yes they do, the company reports it, no way to tell exactly with tipping, it's the honor system.

Many servers may not work 40 hours a week. BTW, if the average price paid by customer for a meal is 30 dollars, that is drinks and food, and it is a table of 4, the tip most likely for that table will be around 20 dollars. And most waitresses have multiple tables per my example in here. and I suspect that a table would turn over five times a shift. 400 a night isn't every waitress, but it is quite a lot of em, I'd say a million of em at least around the country. And people with no research want to tell them what they should do. it's amazing I tell ya, amazing. all them leftists good doers who know fking everything. LOL.

Don't they have gay strip clubs? A freind and I walked I to a strange bar in L.A. one night it turned out to be some chipandales thing, we were going to leave but the bar tender told us to stick around the girls were all over us when the show ended.

I am sure they do. I’ve never attended any strip club before. I might be a homo, but I am an old-fashioned gent for the most part.

Prove it ...
again, what is it you got to counter other than telling people you disagree with to go fk themselves?

New Topics

Forum List

Back