Waitress Fired after Bitching about Cheap "Campers" on Facebook

I'll tell you what, waiting tables is good money if you work at a place that is run well and has steady business and loyal customers.

I averaged about 20 to 30 bucks an hour, while in college. That's a ton of cash for a college student. Also, the hours were flexible, and they worked around my classes. I even stayed there after graduating working for awhile.

I had my 'regulars'-and I made good money, and people tipped me well, because I'm funny and damn good at what I did! :cool:

And I made life long friends who I still hang out with, we even went on vacations together.
Some even own their own restaurants now too.

That may be true in theory, Val. When I waited tables the employer didn't make up the difference. But that could have just been them exploiting my stupidity.

:lol:

:lol: Could be! Or maybe the labor laws changed since then?

As for the OP, if I ever want to linger at a table I am sure to be aware of my surroundings as far as how busy they are and always attempt to give as much as I take, so to speak...order a drink or an app or just give a generous tip.

I gave a warning to one of my employees about calling a client's kids unruly brats on her facebook page. I then immediately amended the employee handbook and made everyone sign a statement that they read and understood the new policy.

I see no problem with firing anyone if they do not follow policy.

Ditto. Restaurants don't have to pay minimum wage because of tips.

Unless you are in California.

Q: What about wait staff and other tipped employees?

A: In California, tipped employees are paid the full minimum wage like other
workers, without regard to any tips they receive.
The San Francisco proposal
would simply follow the state law by requiring that tipped workers continue to
be paid the minimum wage.

http://www.acorn.org/fileadmin/Local_Storage/CA/SFMW/FAQ.pdf

minimum wage PLUS tips.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, waiting tables is good money if you work at a place that is run well and has steady business and loyal customers.
I averaged about 20 to 30 bucks an hour, while in college. That's a ton of cash for a college student. Also, the hours were flexible, and they worked around my classes. I even stayed there after graduating working for awhile.

I had my 'regulars'-and I made good money, and people tipped me well, because I'm funny and damn good at what I did! :cool:

And I made life long friends who I still hang out with, we even went on vacations together.
Some even own their own restaurants now too.

:) :)

You go girl!

I make sure I tip well whoever I can and whenever I should... least I can do I figure. I like to think how we treat the least assuming of us, is how we deserve to be treated ourselves...

Smart guy once told me; "if a man is nice to you, but rude to the waiter or waitress. He is not a good person just a sneaky and manipulative one."

Always tried to remember that...

She is older and smarter today. And that is more precious than gold.

From an article I read a while back FaceBook figures into a log of divorces. I find it somewhat juvenile myself. But to each his own.

There is no tipping in Japan, and you get great service. The food is expensive, but I found that not having to leave a tip made it less in many cases, than food here.

Service culture is different from place to place (Eastern culture is hugely different than Western culture, and personally I don't prefer the overly obsequious service that many E. Asians traditionally give), and in Japan tips are viewed as an insult, but America is the practically the only first world nation I know of that regards tips as server wages. Do away with tipping, expect your plate prices to go up 20% or more, and don't complain.

Don't worry, I won't. I expect the wait staff to get paid a decent wage, but then again, I think everyone in our country should be making at least a living wage.

To those not in the "biz" -"Campers" are those people who sit in your section all night long, taking up your table. They sat at her table for 3 hours, and left her a 5 dollar tip. So she bitched about it on Facebook and got fired.

Waitress fired for griping about tip on Facebook - Tech and gadgets- msnbc.com

Bad management. No manager would let campers stay in there without continuing to order food for 5 hours. And at that point, the manager would need to put on an automatic gratuity of 18.5%.

I'd fuckin' bitch about those slobs on my fb page too. I'm glad they didn't have FB when I was in the restaraunt business. Would've been fired a LOOOONG time before I was.

Wow. Reading through this thread, Syrenn comes across as the "Queen of Mean". I am willing to wager that this person would bitch if Jesus Christ himself waited on her. I know what it means to hustle and try to make ends meet on a job that tips are the biggest part of your wage. Been there and done that. I believe that tipping for good service is how you continue to get good service. My wife and I eat out quite frequently and most often at the same places. All of the wait staff at our haunts know us and just about fight between themselves to see who is going to serve us. At a minimum, I tip 25% of the tab for good service - usually more. Anybody who has a job that serves the public deserves the tip if they provide good service. John Q. Public can be a real SOB most of the time.

New Topics

Forum List

Back