Waitress Fired after Bitching about Cheap "Campers" on Facebook

I've got issues with waitstaff.

Think of it like this. Waitstaff get base salary plus tips.

Base miniium wage salery. 9.79 per hour.
5 tables sitting for one hour.
If each table no matter the amount of the check only left a $5 tip.

Do you really think that wait staff is worth aprox. $30 per hour? then think about if your check is 100.00 and you leave the "customer" 15% that's a $15 tip.

Just a thought because I am sick to death of complaining waitstaff that they don't make enough money. Or that someone didnt leave them enough. Or that they didnt GET the 15% which they are owed even if they give shit service.

Have you ever been a waitress? You have to deal with rude customers all day, drunks, people who complain for no reason, and people who leave you no tip, not because you did a bad job, but because they are cheap.
YOu can give them the best service possible, and people will still bitch. People treat people who work in customer service like they are their slaves.

TIPS it means to insure prompt service...maybe we should start giving them the tip to start with and we'll get better service?

If I get really bad service, I leave a quarter so they know I didn't forget to tip, I just thought they weren't worth it. I've only done it once in my life. A second time, I actually forgot to leave a tip and went back to the restaurant the next night and paid the cashier, telling her who it was for, don't know if it ever got to the right person or not.

I don't understand why anyone would complain about customers sitting at a table for hours, unless the place was busy. Heck we walked into a place that wasn't busy. The waitress was talking to her friends while we stood there for 20 minutes...we finally left and haven't been back since...there's no excuse for that lack of service.

I know what TIPS means, I also know SHIT means, and POSH! I was a waitress, and I had a bartender who knew what all that stuff meant. ;)

And like I said people are assholes, unless you have been one, you have no clue what it is like to be one.

FYI they are only taxed on what comes across on a credit card because its traceable. Cash tips are generally not reported.;)

So do you think straight salary would be better then the tip system?

, Sorry, my bad, you have to claim 15% of what you sell (ring up) that night.

I don't know......I've done both, put myself through college as a waitress and a bartender, now make a salary, with a steady pay check every 2 weeks, and knowing exactly how much money is coming in. As a server, it's a gamble sometimes...depending on business.

I'm definitely in favor of getting rid of the "tip" system. Good service should be automatic, not based on what you "think" the people will leave you.

I bet you are rude to waitresses too!
See the video I posted on the last page. ;)

FYI they are only taxed on what comes across on a credit card because its traceable. Cash tips are generally not reported.;)

So do you think straight salary would be better then the tip system?

, Sorry, my bad, you have to claim 15% of what you sell (ring up) that night.

I don't know......I've done both, put myself through college as a waitress and a bartender, now make a salary, with a steady pay check every 2 weeks, and knowing exactly how much money is coming in. As a server, it's a gamble sometimes...depending on business.

I'm definitely in favor of getting rid of the "tip" system. Good service should be automatic, not based on what you "think" the people will leave you.

TIPS it means to insure prompt service...
I leave a quarter so they know I didn't forget to tip,
The waitress was talking to her friends while we stood there for 20 minutes

Maybe you should give more than a $.25?:lol:
And just imagine what will happen if we get rid of the TIPS system? I guess you get fast service at Walmart, I know I don't.

To those not in the "biz" -"Campers" are those people who sit in your section all night long, taking up your table. They sat at her table for 3 hours, and left her a 5 dollar tip. So she bitched about it on Facebook and got fired.

Waitress fired for griping about tip on Facebook - Tech and gadgets- msnbc.com
Who cares? People get fired for far more dumber reasons than that every day.

Thank you for sharing.

Now, would you like to see our dessert menu?

I don't understand why anyone would complain about customers sitting at a table for hours, unless the place was busy. Heck we walked into a place that wasn't busy. The waitress was talking to her friends while we stood there for 20 minutes...we finally left and haven't been back since...there's no excuse for that lack of service.

I hate that shit. Its happened to me a couple times. Why don't they just say "Sorry, I don't feel like serving you right now" instead of wasting 20 minutes of our time? Next time that happens I'm going to make a mess in the bathroom before I leave.

Amen to that!

In many countries, gratuity is added to the bill or included in the price of the plate. Got good service or bad service? Doesn't really make a difference, the server still gets paid. Ask an Australian about waitstaff service there versus here.

Here people complain about the system, but they don't realize they pay essentially nothing for service if they don't tip. IMO that's stealing.

I'd love to see the uproar if America converted to a system like countries in Europe or Australia. Quit bitching and tip 15% percent. If service was included in the price of your plate, the cost would go up 20 % or more.

People love to whine for no good reason.

Last edited:

Amen to that!

In many countries, gratuity is added to the bill or included in the price of the plate. Got good service or bad service? Doesn't really make a difference, the server still gets paid. Ask an Australian about waitstaff service there versus here.

Here people complain about the system, but they don't realize they pay essentially nothing for service if they don't tip. IMO that's stealing.

I'd love to see the uproar if America converted to a system like countries in Europe or Australia. Quit bitching and tip 15% percent. If service was included in the price of your plate, the cost would go up 20 % or more.

You ain't seen nothing yet :lol: and welcome !

Have you ever been a waitress? You have to deal with rude customers all day, drunks, people who complain for no reason, and people who leave you no tip, not because you did a bad job, but because they are cheap.
YOu can give them the best service possible, and people will still bitch. People treat people who work in customer service like they are their slaves.

TIPS it means to insure prompt service...maybe we should start giving them the tip to start with and we'll get better service?

If I get really bad service, I leave a quarter so they know I didn't forget to tip, I just thought they weren't worth it. I've only done it once in my life. A second time, I actually forgot to leave a tip and went back to the restaurant the next night and paid the cashier, telling her who it was for, don't know if it ever got to the right person or not.

I know what TIPS means, I also know SHIT means, and POSH! I was a waitress, and I had a bartender who knew what all that stuff meant. ;)

And like I said people are assholes, unless you have been one, you have no clue what it is like to be one.

Well, when you're right, you're right. I'm sorry I have no clue what it is to be an asshole. :D

Amen to that!

There is no tipping in Japan, and you get great service. The food is expensive, but I found that not having to leave a tip made it less in many cases, than food here.

There is no tipping in Japan, and you get great service. The food is expensive, but I found that not having to leave a tip made it less in many cases, than food here.

Service culture is different from place to place (Eastern culture is hugely different than Western culture, and personally I don't prefer the overly obsequious service that many E. Asians traditionally give), and in Japan tips are viewed as an insult, but America is the practically the only first world nation I know of that regards tips as server wages. Do away with tipping, expect your plate prices to go up 20% or more, and don't complain.

Last edited:

Agreed. Everything is very expensive in Japan. I was appalled when a small cantaloupe was $50. The Japanese have a very different work ethic and idea of service.

Agreed. Everything is very expensive in Japan. I was appalled when a small cantaloupe was $50. The Japanese have a very different work ethic and idea of service.

They do---they actually work ! :lol:

Do you really think that wait staff is worth aprox. $30 per hour? then think about if your check is 100.00 and you leave the "customer" 15% that's a $15 tip.

Just a thought because I am sick to death of complaining waitstaff that they don't make enough money. Or that someone didnt leave them enough. Or that they didnt GET the 15% which they are owed even if they give shit service.

Where did you get this figure from? I waitressed 20 years ago and didn't receive minimum wage. Got some paltry amount plus tips. I couldn't get the owner to schedule me for Thurs, Fri or Sat nights, when business was brisk so I ended up working lame lunch and the odd night. Didn't make shit money-wise. Have they changed how waitstaff gets paid?
Ditto. Restaurants don't have to pay minimum wage because of tips.

Where did you get this figure from? I waitressed 20 years ago and didn't receive minimum wage. Got some paltry amount plus tips. I couldn't get the owner to schedule me for Thurs, Fri or Sat nights, when business was brisk so I ended up working lame lunch and the odd night. Didn't make shit money-wise. Have they changed how waitstaff gets paid?
Ditto. Restaurants don't have to pay minimum wage because of tips.

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions which provides the greater benefits.

What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

That may be true in theory, Val. When I waited tables the employer didn't make up the difference. But that could have just been them exploiting my stupidity.

:lol:

Forum List

Back