Waiting Period for firearm Purchases

Yeah there is certain situations but with all the events that happen in a day, its very very rare that anyone will need to use a gun. Doesn't mean I don't own a gun, but the waiting period is there specifically to prevent any criminal from buying a gun legally. Will they get it illegally? Likely but once they are found with it, they go to jail.

Its safer to have criminals not allowed to have legal guns.

Yeah there is certain situations but with all the events that happen in a day, its very very rare that anyone will need to use a gun. Doesn't mean I don't own a gun, but the waiting period is there specifically to prevent any criminal from buying a gun legally. Will they get it illegally? Likely but once they are found with it, they go to jail.

Its safer to have criminals not allowed to have legal guns.

Yes, I know this is what was meant to happen, but it also hinders law abiding citizens. Why should law abiding citizens be punished for what the criminals do?

Also, the instant background checks do the same as the waiting periods just sooner. Most of the ones arguing the waiting periods are saying that it is a 'cool down' period. This will not stop someone if they are truly wanting to buy a gun to use it in a criminal act. They will just get a gun illegally if that is what they want it for.

Besides, if you want to buy a gun for a criminal act, wouldn't it be dumb to buy one legally? When you purchase a firearm, it goes down on record. If you use it in a criminal act, it can be traced back to you.

So making it harder to get a gun legally will do nothing but hinder law abiding citizens, NOT criminals..

Last edited:
those of you who support the waiting period for purchesing a firearm may want to do some resurch on the effects of the waiting period on those who do need the gun right away.

bonnie elmasri
on march 5, 1991 bonnie elmasri called a firearms instructor, worried that her husband-who was subject to a restraining order to stay away from her-had been threatening her and her children. When she asked the instructor about getting a handgun, the instructor explained that wisconsin has a 48-hour waiting period. Ms. Elmasri and her two children were murdered by her husband twenty-four hours later.

What a difference a day makes
in 1985 in san leandro, california, a woman and her daughter were threatened by a neighbor. Instead of being able immediately to obtain a handgun for self-defense, the woman had to wait fifteen days. The day after she finally was allowed to pick up her gun, the neighbor attacked them, and she shot him in self-defense. Had the man attacked fourteen rather than sixteen days after his initial threat, the woman and her daughter might have been raped.

Catherine latta
in september 1990, a mail carrier named catherine latta of charlotte, north carolina, went to the police to obtain permission to buy a handgun. Her ex-boyfriend had previously robbed her, assaulted her several times, and raped her the clerk at the sheriff's office informed her the gun permit would take two to four weeks. "i told her i'd be dead by then," ms. Latta later recalled. That afternoon' she went to a bad part of town, and bought an illegal $20 semiautomatic pistol on the street. Five hours later, her ex-boyfriend attacked her outside her house, and she shot him dead. The county prosecutor decided not to prosecute ms. Latta for either the self-defense homicide, or the illegal gun.

more women and children killed by the brady bill

just thought i would start a thread on this to keep the abortion thread from going any further off topic.

"shall not be infringed."

So we should let criminals buy guns? I guess thats awesome for murderers and rapists to have guns. I have a gun and haven't used it on anyone so I don't know why you really need a gun for the .00000000000000000000000001% that something might actually happen.

Your statistics are way off, old sport, didn't you read the OP? Subscribe to the NRA magazine and read many more such anecdotes.

So we should let criminals buy guns? I guess thats awesome for murderers and rapists to have guns. I have a gun and haven't used it on anyone so I don't know why you really need a gun for the .00000000000000000000000001% that something might actually happen.

Waiting periods don't stop criminals from buying guns. Never have and never will. Criminals don't purchase firearms from places where the NICS check is used (dealers) and never will. They go out and purchase them illegally.

Massachusetts, which has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country, and one of the toughest CCW permits to obtain (for the most part), has no waiting period on any firearm beyond the time it takes to complete the NICS check and to run your electronic fingerprint. I've never had a NICS check take more than 60-90 seconds and the fingerprint is pretty much instantaneous.

Those of you who support the waiting period for purchesing a firearm may want to do some resurch on the effects of the waiting period on those who DO need the gun right away.

Bonnie Elmasri
On March 5, 1991 Bonnie Elmasri called a firearms instructor, worried that her husband-who was subject to a restraining order to stay away from her-had been threatening her and her children. When she asked the instructor about getting a handgun, the instructor explained that Wisconsin has a 48-hour waiting period. Ms. Elmasri and her two children were murdered by her husband twenty-four hours later.

What a Difference a Day Makes
In 1985 in San Leandro, California, a woman and her daughter were threatened by a neighbor. Instead of being able immediately to obtain a handgun for self-defense, the woman had to wait fifteen days. The day after she finally was allowed to pick up her gun, the neighbor attacked them, and she shot him in self-defense. Had the man attacked fourteen rather than sixteen days after his initial threat, the woman and her daughter might have been raped.

Catherine Latta
In September 1990, a mail carrier named Catherine Latta of Charlotte, North Carolina, went to the police to obtain permission to buy a handgun. Her ex-boyfriend had previously robbed her, assaulted her several times, and raped her The clerk at the sheriff's office informed her the gun permit would take two to four weeks. "I told her I'd be dead by then," Ms. Latta later recalled. That afternoon' she went to a bad part of town, and bought an illegal $20 semiautomatic pistol on the street. Five hours later, her ex-boyfriend attacked her outside her house, and she shot him dead. The county prosecutor decided not to prosecute Ms. Latta for either the self-defense homicide, or the illegal gun.

More Women and Children Killed By The Brady Bill

Just thought I would start a thread on this to keep the abortion thread from going any further off topic.

I dont have a problem with the waiting period even if I find it to be stupid, at least in my state. They make you take a class, do a full background check, then make you wait 1-3 months to get your liscense to own and/or carry a gun. At that point you should just be able to buy a gun without waiting.

Hell personally i think you shouldn't even have to do anything to get a gun at all, it your right after all. I do understand why we do background checks its just my "purist" view of our 2nd ammendment right.

Forum List

Back