Waiting Period for firearm Purchases

Wingsofwind

Nov 2, 2010
Those of you who support the waiting period for purchesing a firearm may want to do some resurch on the effects of the waiting period on those who DO need the gun right away.

Bonnie Elmasri
On March 5, 1991 Bonnie Elmasri called a firearms instructor, worried that her husband-who was subject to a restraining order to stay away from her-had been threatening her and her children. When she asked the instructor about getting a handgun, the instructor explained that Wisconsin has a 48-hour waiting period. Ms. Elmasri and her two children were murdered by her husband twenty-four hours later.

What a Difference a Day Makes
In 1985 in San Leandro, California, a woman and her daughter were threatened by a neighbor. Instead of being able immediately to obtain a handgun for self-defense, the woman had to wait fifteen days. The day after she finally was allowed to pick up her gun, the neighbor attacked them, and she shot him in self-defense. Had the man attacked fourteen rather than sixteen days after his initial threat, the woman and her daughter might have been raped.

Catherine Latta
In September 1990, a mail carrier named Catherine Latta of Charlotte, North Carolina, went to the police to obtain permission to buy a handgun. Her ex-boyfriend had previously robbed her, assaulted her several times, and raped her The clerk at the sheriff's office informed her the gun permit would take two to four weeks. "I told her I'd be dead by then," Ms. Latta later recalled. That afternoon' she went to a bad part of town, and bought an illegal $20 semiautomatic pistol on the street. Five hours later, her ex-boyfriend attacked her outside her house, and she shot him dead. The county prosecutor decided not to prosecute Ms. Latta for either the self-defense homicide, or the illegal gun.

More Women and Children Killed By The Brady Bill

Just thought I would start a thread on this to keep the abortion thread from going any further off topic.

But but its to keep them out of the hands of criminals ... who by the way do not obtain them legally in most cases anyway.
Mexico has an anti gun law and look how peaceful it is there.

IMO anyone who thinks its a smart idea to purchase a firearm "legally" has rocks in their head.

Firearms laws have never worked. The only people with restricted access are law abiding citizens. The bad guys get their firearms the way that they always have; illegally.

I won't pay retail for something I can purchase out of hand at a reduced price from someone else.

I won't pay retail for something I can purchase out of hand at a reduced price from someone else.

Paying retail and purchasing legally are two separate issues.

I don't like to pay retail either, but I buy them all legally. Can't even imagine a scenario where I'd be tempted to buy one illegally.

Should have a waiting period for abortions too. All women should register their abortions as well.

While I'm not going to argue that waiting periods for buying handguns is a good thing, I do have to wonder why the people in the article didn't decide to buy a shotgun instead? Don't they usually have lesser or no waiting periods?

There's no waiting period in Texas to purchase handguns, rifles or shotguns and that's how it should be.

There is no waiting period in my area for rifles or shotguns. 2 day waiting period for handguns. Unless you have a CCW, then the handgun waiting period is waived. Imagine the uproar if they had a waiting period on any of our other constitutional rights.

While I'm not going to argue that waiting periods for buying handguns is a good thing, I do have to wonder why the people in the article didn't decide to buy a shotgun instead? Don't they usually have lesser or no waiting periods?

You can not carry a shotgun on your person without being seen. I am not sure what the laws were during the time these happened, but now you can carry handguns legally (in most places). A shotgun would be better for home defence, however, when you have to protect yourself outside of your home you need something a bit more discreet.

So we should let criminals buy guns? I guess thats awesome for murderers and rapists to have guns. I have a gun and haven't used it on anyone so I don't know why you really need a gun for the .00000000000000000000000001% that something might actually happen.

There's no waiting period in Texas to purchase handguns, rifles or shotguns and that's how it should be.

Federal law mandates a 5 day waiting period for handguns.

Federal law mandates an instant background check. No other waiting is required anymore unless something goes wrong with the instant background check, then you have to wait the 3-5 days.

So we should let criminals buy guns? I guess thats awesome for murderers and rapists to have guns. I have a gun and haven't used it on anyone so I don't know why you really need a gun for the . that something might actually happen.

Well, that ".00000000000000000000000001%" that you speak of has happened to me already. We had an intruder come into our home and we had to use our firearms to stop him. No one was shot, but if we didn't have the firearms then there is no telling what would have happened.

Also, there are many stories of people saving themselves and others by using a firearm. They are not hard to find. So if it really was ".00000000000000000000000001%" that you might have to have to use one then why would there be so many stories about people using a firearm for protection? Not to mention that there are many instances where it is not reported that a firearm was used to fend off an attacker or stop a criminal act from happening.

I for one would like to have this tool and not need to use it than to not have it and find myself in a position to need one.

And BTW, criminals will get a firearm illegally if they can not get one legally. Law abiding citizens will usually obtain a firearm legally. Why make it harder for law abiding citizens when it is so easy for criminals to get them illegally?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back