Waiting For The New Purchase To Arrive.

One thing I'll eventually have to do is either brown the barrel (and maybe) the tang, locks and trigger (trigger guard) or "cold" (rust) blue the barrel. Both are somewhat labor intensive, cold bluing more so, but the finish will be authentic 1800s.
I'll probably stick with browning the barrel only and leaving everything else as is, get a look similar to this barrel;

IMG_8514.JPG

Thanks for the updates.

Missed out on the Traditions Davy Crockett .32 cal Squirrel Rifle kit on sale over Christmas @ MidwayUSA...going to have to wait for the next one.

Nice to see what all it entails...my next kit gun will be my first kit gun.

Thanks for the updates.

Missed out on the Traditions Davy Crockett .32 cal Squirrel Rifle kit on sale over Christmas @ MidwayUSA...going to have to wait for the next one.

Depends on who you get the kit from and I just took a look at the Traditions......... Okay if you're not interested in even the slightest degree of authenticity, Davey Crockett never carried a percussion rifle let alone a "Plains" rifle (Hawkins style).
Here's Dixie Gun Works, their kits are (mostly) historically accurate and easy for the novice to put together with little extra work.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Then we get into the very historically accurate kits and finished firearms that can take hundreds of hours to fit together (like mine). Track of the Wolf and Pecatonica are the two premier sites to find those and the price difference shows it..........
Track of the Wolf has much, much better customer service, they're bigger, Pecatonica has great kits but their customer service leaves much to be desired.

Track of the Wolf - Muzzle Loading & Black Powder Guns Kits, Parts, Accoutrements, Rendezvous Gear & Primitive Americana

Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply

One other thing, that Traditions you're looking at is going to be barrel heavy, the smallest caliber those rifles were made in was .45, with the same barrel bored out to a .32 cal you're going to have much more steel to carry around and hold up. not trying to discourage you just passing on what you'll most likely encounter.

A long rifle specifically made as a squirrel gun is the Tennessee Poor Boy, comes in multiple calibers, flint and percussion, smoothbore and rifled, the barrel thicknesses match the caliber making it a fairly light longarm.

07_9530__91534.1402337144.1280.1280.jpg

If your heart is set on a Plains Rifle then by all means get it, again I'm just passing on information. :thup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates.

Depends on who you get the kit from and I just took a look at the Traditions......... Okay if you're not interested in even the slightest degree of authenticity, Davey Crockett never carried a percussion rifle let alone a "Plains" rifle (Hawkins style).
Here's Dixie Gun Works, their kits are (mostly) historically accurate and easy for the novice to put together with little extra work.

Then we get into the very historically accurate kits and finished firearms that can take hundreds of hours to fit together (like mine). Track of the Wolf and Pecatonica are the two premier sites to find those and the price difference shows it..........
Track of the Wolf has much, much better customer service, they're bigger, Pecatonica has great kits but their customer service leaves much to be desired.

Track of the Wolf - Muzzle Loading & Black Powder Guns Kits, Parts, Accoutrements, Rendezvous Gear & Primitive Americana

One other thing, that Traditions you're looking at is going to be barrel heavy, the smallest caliber those rifles were made in was .45, with the same barrel bored out to a .32 cal you're going to have much more steel to carry around and hold up. not trying to discourage you just passing on what you'll most likely encounter.

A long rifle specifically made as a squirrel gun is the Tennessee Poor Boy, comes in multiple calibers, flint and percussion, smoothbore and rifled, the barrel thicknesses match the caliber making it a fairly light longarm.

If your heart is set on a Plains Rifle then by all means get it, again I'm just passing on information. :thup:

Thanks for all the info. Authenticity isn't overly important to me...I just want a black powder small game rifle.

That said...I really like that Tennessee Poor Boy. It's a little more than I wanted to spend for a kit, but I can get it in .36 caliber, which is what I really wanted in the first place.

Found this one in the white for (it looks like, if I'm reading this correctly) $499 + shipping.

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading

I already have some stock refinishing experience...so I may save a few extra pennies and give this a go.

Thanks again. :thup:

Thanks for the updates.

Thanks for all the info. Authenticity isn't overly important to me...I just want a black powder small game rifle.

That said...I really like that Tennessee Poor Boy. It's a little more than I wanted to spend for a kit, but I can get it in .36 caliber, which is what I really wanted in the first place.

Found this one in the white for (it looks like, if I'm reading this correctly) $499 + shipping.

I already have some stock refinishing experience...so I may save a few extra pennies and give this a go.

Ya might want to give them a call first and ask how much work you have to do to put it together, make sure you DO NOT get 'metal in the white' unless you like some serious filing, grinding, temporing and polishing the metal parts. I'd also ask what the price is because their price list is confusing at best, I'm thinking $1100 + shipping and any extras you might want.
If you really want a part A fits part B type kit then it'll probably be more so Dixie Gun Works otherwise save up and find one already put together, sometimes it's only a couple of hundred dollars difference, you'll spend close to that just building most "kits".

Thanks for the updates.

Ya might want to give them a call first and ask how much work you have to do to put it together, make sure you DO NOT get 'metal in the white' unless you like some serious filing, grinding, temporing and polishing the metal parts. I'd also ask what the price is because their price list is confusing at best, I'm thinking $1100 + shipping and any extras you might want.
If you really want a part A fits part B type kit then it'll probably be more so Dixie Gun Works otherwise save up and find one already put together, sometimes it's only a couple of hundred dollars difference, you'll spend close to that just building most "kits".

I was hoping that $1100 price was built, and the kits were just parts...probably wishful thinking.

Thanks for the updates.

I was hoping that $1100 price was built, and the kits were just parts...probably wishful thinking.
Yeah, most "kits" nowadays are not like the kits of old, most people building kits these days are looking for authenticity so the kits come with a lot of work involved, specifically if you're doing flintlock. Now Dixie Gun Works has a percussion Kentucky in .32 for $625 (on sale), $595 for a flintlock

FR3100.gif

PR3115.gif

The main reason they're so "cheap" is they're very plainly made and most reenactors/living historians won't touch em, they prefer the Pennsylvania, Virginia, Carolina and Tennessee rifles not to mention Hawkins, Lemans and Northwest Trade Guns.

This is a Pennsylvania (Bedford County style) long rifle, much prettier and much more expensive.

bedford-county-longrifle-flint-parts-list_1.jpg

Ordered a new Pietta 1860 Colt Army, should be here this week.

RH0705.JPG

Next month I'm seriously considering a replica (Uberti) 1866 Winchester Yellow Boy chambered in 44-40.

1866-yellowboy-carbine-rifle.png

And I'm sorta considering a 1760 Tulle Fusil de Chasse. It's a kit from Track of the Wolf, the French voyager gun which was used extensively up through the Rev War. One of the precursors to our Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle.

french-tulle-fusil-de-chasse-42-parts-list_1.jpg

And finally I might pick up a 1858 Remington Revolving Carbine (Uberti made reproduction).

remington%20revolving.jpg

Good choices. I had a yellow boy in 44-40 my dad gave me. And I like that kit gun also. I'm building a modern death machine in 50 Beowolf. Cool but not bear as sexy as those in need your list.

Forum List

Back