Waiting for Fukushima in this country

Benio

Rookie
Oct 17, 2012
A year ago or so I happened to look through a congressional report raising concerns about safety of nuclear power plants in this country, USA. I was really alarmed to learn that Progress Energy, an utility operating five nuclear facilities in the Carolinas and Florida, was being particularly problematic with four of its plants requiring serous improvements. Matter of fact Florida is the place where I've been living for 10 years already.
Actually, those are not just rusty pipes or leaky roofs. Those are leaks of some radioactive stuff due to serious malfunctions in cooling systems and other you know. Furthermore, there have been several such leaks in this state already! Health and lives of our four kids are under deadly threat! All the time the officials have been keeping their lips sealed about it! How come? I've made a try to dig into whole matter in hope something may be done to improve the situation. Alas! I was deeply discouraged and perplexed when I became fully aware of the fact nothing has been done so far. They cite lack of funds and crisis effect still having its impact and other things.
I made my own conclusions. Those are some construction mistakes and not quite reliable equipment we actually owe that insufficient nuclear safety to presently. It was really a revelation for me that nuclear plant equipment of the French and Russian make appear to be much more reliable and long-lasting than ours in fact. But our authorities seem reluctant to buy it. Why?
I suspect our officials are now waiting for sort of Fukushima in this country so that to start doing something at last.... But I can't wait you know..,.. I tend to think we'd rather move to some other place of living, some other country perhaps, to enjoy more safety and raise our kids in more friendly environment you know.

I'm sure you're fearing for you life, but let's put aside the hysteria and actually discuss SPECIFIC ISSUES regarding the operation of these plants.. You got any to discuss??

My experience has been that the "problems" with fires, and leaky pipes at nuke plants are blown way out of proportion to the dangers associated with other energy plants..

There is FAR MORE radioactive danger to your family from a COAL-FIRED plant (look it up) than any nuclear plant operating in the US today...

Benio, of all the things for you to worry about, the safety of U.S. nuclear power plants should not even be on your radar screen.

The United States has the SAFEST nuclear power plants in the world. For you to believe that Russia and France have safer and better built nuclear power plants than the U.S. does is beyond PREPOSTEROUS.

"Rusty" pipes? Absolute nonsense. Leaks and radioactive releases? Bullshit!

I am a retired nuclear power plant engineer and radiochemist. I can tell you, with 100% certainty and confidence, that ALL commercial nuclear power plants in the United States are as safe as they can possibly be, and all of them are operated by top-shelf professionals who would be extremely INSULTED by your false assertions, ridiculous rumors, and your "sky is falling" nonsense.

Last edited:
Liberals, always afraid of advanced technology.

They don't want us using oil for anything.

They don't want us using coal for electricity.

They don't want us using nuclear for electricity.

Solar and wind don't even come close to the above energy sources.
Carry on with your idiotic fear-mongering.

Last edited:
THE problem with nukes is that they are only as safe as possible....not necessarily as safe as necessary.

Nukers always want us to believe blindly in tecnigod. The experts have it all under control. Fukushima couldn't happen, Three Mile Island couldn't happen. All the leaks, reported and (mostly) otherwise, couldn't happen. They are safe for any eventuality we can think of, but not unerringly for all that is possible. Consequences being what they are, these things should never have been built in the US (and only supply unneeded energy).

Now the pro-nukers will wade in to defend their pet, like those in the politics threads that defend the rich (lard nose y).

Why we would want to poison ourselves escapes this poster!

I've been reading about solar power and it's a whole lot better than it used to be. Seems to me we should be doing solar and wind and hydro and anything else that's safer than nuclear. And even if he can't provide for ALL our needs, we should use it to provide for as much of our needs as possible.

I've been reading about solar power and it's a whole lot better than it used to be. Seems to me we should be doing solar and wind and hydro and anything else that's safer than nuclear. And even if he can't provide for ALL our needs, we should use it to provide for as much of our needs as possible.

I don't have a problem with "green" energy sources, if its economically feasible. But the truth is they aren't nearly as efficient as nuclear. Also, electricity still isn't viable as an energy source for vehicles.

Solar panels need cadmium and all sorts of other environmentally unfriendly materials to manufacture and maintain them....Also, envirowhacks shit themselves if anyone proposes building a hydro dam.

I don't have a problem with "green" energy sources, if its economically feasible. But the truth is they aren't nearly as efficient as nuclear. Also, electricity still isn't viable as an energy source for vehicles.

Yet we have hybrids, which is the next best thing.

Yet we have hybrids, which is the next best thing.

Hybrids yes, powered by gasoline.

THE problem with nukes is that they are only as safe as possible....not necessarily as safe as necessary.

Nukers always want us to believe blindly in tecnigod. The experts have it all under control. Fukushima couldn't happen, Three Mile Island couldn't happen. All the leaks, reported and (mostly) otherwise, couldn't happen. They are safe for any eventuality we can think of, but not unerringly for all that is possible. Consequences being what they are, these things should never have been built in the US (and only supply unneeded energy).

Now the pro-nukers will wade in to defend their pet, like those in the politics threads that defend the rich (lard nose y).

Why we would want to poison ourselves escapes this poster!

You "safe as possible/safe as necessary" argument can be applied to virtually EVERYTHING in your life.

You are better off living in a cave, with no technology available to you. Then all you will have to worry about are cave-ins.

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about, so your best bet is to stay in your own lane.

Ignorance and facts lead to very unsavory "conversations".

But I can't wait you know..,.. I tend to think we'd rather move to some other place of living, some other country perhaps, to enjoy more safety and raise our kids in more friendly environment you know.

You want to move to be safer and can find a country you like which will have you? Do it. Certainly you don't need a fear of nukes to justify it.

Let's see.. Over 30 thirty years of operation and all you got is one on-site fire at a point not vital to plant safety, a couple pump replacements, and an unknown "spike" in radiation that is being investigated (while I presume the plant is still operating isnt it?)

They should get an award...

Old 30 year old coal plants are more radioactive and dangerous than that....

:eusa_whistle:

That's ironic that you should post a story about the Perry Nuke Plant. I worked there for a few years back in the late 80s.

Perry is a very well-operated nuke plant, as all U.S. nuke plants are. Just ONE reactor provides enough power for 1.4 million people. Amazing!

Left wing politics cannot function without a threat from some natural or man-made disaster. Just when things seem to be going good the left discovers the mother of all extortions, global warming. Next thing you know we are all threatened with extinction unless we fork over our treasure to some U.N. agency and finance junk corporations like Solindra.

Waiting for Fukushima in this country.
I'm curious, how many nuclear power plants in the US are at risk of experiencing both a major earthquake and major tsunami, one right after the other? Or a similar double whammy of natural disasters of the strength that happened in Fukushima?

Waiting for Fukushima in this country.
I'm curious, how many nuclear power plants in the US are at risk of experiencing both a major earthquake and major tsunami, one right after the other? Or a similar double whammy of natural disasters of the strength that happened in Fukushima?

Probably two out of 60 or so.. I know the one in San Luis Obispo is in a bad place.

One of the mistakes we made in the early 60s was to locate these plants like any other power plants. We know better now.. Don't have to locate the plants in major metro areas.

The fatal flaw in Fukishima was where the back-up generators were located. They flooded. A normal shutdown should be able to occur between the earthquake and the tsunami as long as a power source is present.

There should MOBILE power sources parked OUTSIDE the general area.. This is part of ANY disaster scenario preparation.. The Japanese Navy could have brought in offshore power barges to power those facilities during recovery. So many things SHOULD have been done to reduce the damage at Fukishima that weren't done. The folks in charge (not the ones actually heroically working on site) froze up in the face of the SCOPE of the disaster..

Forum List

Back