Waiter Charged Over Arabic Chant at Jewish Wedding

I'll tell you why.

Because being baited by someone I once had respect for, who now calls me an anti-semite, a terrorist supporter and pedophile supporter and makes other snarky comments, yet who won't offer any reasons why is an extremely unpleasant experience.

I've dared suggest Israel isn't perfect. I've shown compassion for Palestinian civilians and their children. Nevermind that I also decry the violence wreaked on Israeli civilians. Nevermind that I'm a pacifist. All that makes me in Jillian's twisted mind is a jew hater. A very powerful bomb of a word to toss when you want to intimidate someone.

Are you serious or hoping someone will give you rep to make you feel better ?

Jillian--

We can 'be posting friends' here with all manner of goofballs. That doesn't mean we buy into their bs.

Sunni Man is still on my 'friends' list. I NEVER agree with the guy. I can't stand his homphobia, misogyny and anti-semitic views. He is a terrorist apologizer and Holocaust denier.

I have considered dumping him off my list. But every once and awhile I remember even SM has buddha nature underneath all that crap.
Actually I think he's a Holocaust minimizer, which is more insidious than being an outright denier. His rhetoric is very clever and misleading.
But what you say about being able to be posting friends with all kinds of goofballs is so true. You can hate a person's opinions without hating them. I admit I have hated Sunniman at times, especially when I first started reading his posts. His anti Semitic and homophobic comments make me see red. But that is no reason not to recognise it when he posts things that are true. He has studied Islam better than any of us and I have respect for the way he patiently debunks many ugly misconceptions people have about his religion. I also have come to think there might be a sliver of hope that he could someday see his through his own ugly misconceptions about gays and Jews. Civil discourse is a better way of maybe bringing that about than bashing him as some do.

I am serious. I'm not looking for pity, if that's what you think. I can take care of bullies on my own, if need be.

No offense to you Angie, but this whole 'bully on the net' crap annoys me. In school bullies on the playground were bad because you couldn't avoid them, but online ... hell, anyone who thinks they are being bullied online should take their computers and blow them up. People cannot be bullies unless you are there, you don't have to be online, much less a bulletin board, so they can't really bully you. Annoy perhaps, poorly insult maybe, but a bully has to have you cornered or they aren't bullies, they are just jerks.

No offense to you Angie, but this whole 'bully on the net' crap annoys me. In school bullies on the playground were bad because you couldn't avoid them, but online ... hell, anyone who thinks they are being bullied online should take their computers and blow them up. People cannot be bullies unless you are there, you don't have to be online, much less a bulletin board, so they can't really bully you. Annoy perhaps, poorly insult maybe, but a bully has to have you cornered or they aren't bullies, they are just jerks.

I guess it depends on your definition of a bully.
Also, saying a person just has to leave a message board to avoid a bully is not a solution to the problem. First, no one should be deprived on going online because of someone else, so blowing up your computer isn't the answer. The answer is easier than that. Just stop reading the posts of the person who is trying to bully you or bait you into a fight. Not always easy for everyone to do but it's the only surefire way to avoid getting upset. What you don't read can't hurt you.
Agreed, you can't corner someone on the internet because the intended victim always has the option of ignoring the harasser.
I don't agree with the 'bully on the net" thing being solely or maybe even partially responsible for the harm that may result when vulnerable people read their posts. But there is no denying that harming others is the intention of many internet trolls. The internet is a place where people can be nasty to others, let loose with their venom and usually get away with it. That is a phenomenon that disgusts me as much as it arouses my curiosity.

So I agree with you that it's not bullying in the same sense as real life bullying, but I do think it causes a lot of harm, regardless, even if the victim does have the option to ignore and has the ultimate responsibility to do so if they can't handle what they read.

Also, the fact that message boards need moderators sort of indicates that a type of internet based bully is indeed a problem.

Also, the fact that message boards need moderators sort of indicates that a type of internet based bully is indeed a problem.

They don't NEED moderators, the owners choose to elect moderators to enforce rules they have designated. Again, a bully must have a cornered victim, otherwise they are just jerks, and a true prey for bullies cannot avoid the situation, otherwise they are just playing victim or setting themselves up to be victimized. The internet is not someplace you must be, even then, you don't have to read it much less take it seriously.

He definitely has a civil nature to him, but the buddha underneath is far far far down! :eek:

For most of us, our buddha nature is buried far, far down. I have a hard time remembering I have buddha nature some days. Here's a buddhist teaching I have a hard time with:

"Even a sadist like Hitler has the seed of compassion in him. The very fact that he was aware that he was causing suffering to others makes him more advanced than a lizard, who have no such awareness of the suffering of others."

Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche

Try and wrap your mind around that one!

Last edited by a moderator:

I've participated in discussions about internet bullying in the past. They usually get stuck. If you don't think internet bullying exists at all, then no amount of evidence to the contrary will convince you.

It is a real problem for teenagers.

Then you must become used to having names tossed back at you.
Willow, I have no problem being called names like anti-Semite if the person can provide evidence that I am an anti-Semite. When it's used because someone resents my questions about Israel's heavy handed tactics and purposefully twists that into saying that makes me a Jew hater or that I would want to see Israel destroyed or that Israel has no right to exist, that's when I call them on it and request they back up their accusations

On this board, defense of Israel's actions seems mostly to consist of screaming "terrorist" and "jew hater" at anyone who doesn't regurgitate Israeli PR releases word for word or who doesn't keep their opinions or doubts or even honest curiousity to themselves for fear or being stigmatized as a racist by Jillian and David and Tardo Sarge.

Indiscriminate and inaccurate use of powerful words like "anti-Semite" by it's defenders doesn't help Israel's cause in the least.

jillian's rep comment on the above post:
"now go whine about how I negged you."

Mine in return:
What do you think of jillian's post:
it's cute...she can be friends with sunniijit the terrorist supporter and holocaust denier. :cuckoo:
"Back at ya, hag."

hey jill, were you looking for this:
images

They had every right to fire the guy.

But have the police arrest him for felony harassment.

That just PC nonsense!!!! :cuckoo:

I disagree. If it was my wedding I'd want him punished far more than just being fired. I don't need to hear a bunch of crazed lunatics shouting out against me an mine at my wedding.

Heck, if it was my wedding, he'd be lucky to make it out of there alive.

Has anyone seen anything in the news yet whether he did it intentionally or if it was a mix-up with the wireless signals?

I suppose the truth won't come out till the trial.

Has anyone seen anything in the news yet whether he did it intentionally or if it was a mix-up with the wireless signals?

I suppose the truth won't come out till the trial.

I don't think it matters. There was no excuse for him to bring this recording to the wedding. He was working at the wedding. It wasn't playtime for him. He wasn't playing it on his own private walkman, no he played it so EVERYONE could hear. The only excuse I can possibly think of is that he wanted to insult the bride and groom and their guests, which he did in no uncertain terms.

IMO this was a terrorist act.

I don't think it matters. There was no excuse for him to bring this recording to the wedding. He was working at the wedding. It wasn't playtime for him. He wasn't playing it on his own private walkman, no he played it so EVERYONE could hear. The only excuse I can possibly think of is that he wanted to insult the bride and groom and their guests, which he did in no uncertain terms.

A terrorist act? How so, exactly? If he called guests at a black wedding ******* would that be a terrorist act also?

I'm asking seriously...I don't understand people's opinions on hate crimes/terrorist acts.

A terrorist act? How so, exactly? If he called guests at a black wedding ******* would that be a terrorist act also?

I'm asking seriously...I don't understand people's opinions on hate crimes/terrorist acts.

"terrorist act", terrorist sympathizer", etc. Seem to have been downgraded in significance by people determined to add power to their flimsy arguments.

Sheila, did you read all the aticles linked in the thread? It's unclear if he was aware that showing a video on his cell phone to another employee while on break on a separate room meant the the audio was being broadcast on the PA system. The bride and groom didn't freak out. Just sayin'

Forum List

Back