Wait a minute...explain something to me.

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
Man said to be biological dad wants to contact Jaycee Dugard - CNN.com

Kenneth Slayton wants to get a message to Jaycee Dugard, the California woman kidnapped as a child and held captive for 18 years. Slayton would like to get together with Dugard and her two children on Father's Day, but he said he is being blocked from communicating with the 29-year-old he believes is his daughter

I don't get it. The girl, now a woman, in question is 29 years old. The man in question has no "rights" to see her or contact her...if she doesn't want to have anything to do with him, then he is out of the question, correct?

If someone made a claim that they were your biological father, and you were in your 30s at the time, would a court even consider the claim, or would they leave it up to you as an adult to make the decision to investigate the claim?

Ok, assuming he's telling the truth in saying that he never even knew about her existence until the cops knocked on his door after she went missing, I can understand that he might want to get to know her. That would make sense. I think most men would want to get to know the child they fathered, once they knew of their existence, assuming their not a total jerk. And I can understand that he might be disturbed by the fact that he's being blocked from her completely. If she contacted him outright and said "I don't really want to see you or get to know you" then I would totally feel he's over the line and should go away and respect her. But at the same time, it doesn't seem anyone is telling him that she feels that way. He's being blocked, but by whom? Obviously, at this point, now that he's gone public, she must know he's trying to get in touch with her, but did she before that? Or was her mother, her publicist, or whatever other people are "trying to protect her" deciding for her that she didn't want to meet him? I do think he should back off and leave her alone, but I can see his frustration.

As for a court case...I suppose they could/would do a paternity test to determine whether or not he's her father, but at her age, I also would guess that it would be up to her. If she said no, I doubt they'd force her. Beyond that, I can't see the court doing anything. She's not a child, so they can't order visitation. Also because she's not a child, there's no child support to be determined, although I suppose he could tell them he wanted to pay back child support for all the years she was a child, but even then, I doubt they'd really do anything.

Forum List

Back