Wage Theft: The Crime Wave Nobody Talks About

Yeah..and you might as well get rid of the first clause under the powers of congress, right?

The 16th Amendment is nothing but a clarification for that.

What other parts of the Constitution are you looking to eviserate?

When they start taxing COMMERCE as was intended. And as was once was...

GO forth and learn some history.

And what part of wages isn't commerce?:lol:

But heck..even if you hold it is somehow different..the clause never makes any such definition. Nor would it have.

Wages are commerce?

:lol::lol:

Public schools strike again.

What else would you call laboring for essentially 3 - 4 month each year for the the sole benefit of the government?

A direct tax on labor is much more than wage theft my friend....

Explain please

While I agree, it is indeed wage theft, it is even more insidious. It is a form of slavery as it essentially reduces your ownership of your own labor.

I agree, but I just call it wage theft so it will not confue the liberals who I am addressing it to. They are very simple minded people don't cha no?

Explain please

While I agree, it is indeed wage theft, it is even more insidious. It is a form of slavery as it essentially reduces your ownership of your own labor.

I agree, but I just call it wage theft so it will not confue the liberals who I am addressing it to. They are very simple minded people don't cha no?

Agreed. I was speaking more to the OP's use of the term not yours. I love the defenders of liberty who simultaneously argue that they have a claim on 4 months of your labor for the benefit of the collective.

Agreed. I was speaking more to the OP's use of the term not yours. I love the defenders of liberty who simultaneously argue that they have a claim on 4 months of your labor for the benefit of the collective.

Agreed

This what happens when Unions are weakened. Basically what has happened over the last couple of decades seems like it was planned. Steps as follows:
-Capture union employees by giving out ample wages and benefits.
-Lobby government to change employment and overtimes rules.
-Hire off shore.
-Encourage consultants and "associates" as opposed to full time employees.
-Begin "Synergy" efforts to reduce redundancy.
-Begin "RIF"s. (reduction in force)
-Begin "more with less" programs.

The end result being that employees that "survive" the layoffs are to keep people to frightened and off balance to complain. They put up with working longer hours with more tasks with no increase in salaries.

Mission accomplished.

No. This is what happens to undocumented workers.

Being here illegally has risks.

Oh bullshit.

When is the last time you held a real job?

I've been at my present job for 13 years..and this is exactly what I have been seeing.

You must not be very ambitious. I would blow my brains out from boredom doing the same job for 13 years.

I work in high tech. It's a dynamic industry, even in the present circumstances. Skilled, educated, and experienced people (who are in the country legally) don't have the problems you claim are endemic.

No. This is what happens to undocumented workers.

Being here illegally has risks.

Oh bullshit.

When is the last time you held a real job?

I've been at my present job for 13 years..and this is exactly what I have been seeing.

You must not be very ambitious. I would blow my brains out from boredom doing the same job for 13 years.

I work in high tech. It's a dynamic industry, even in the present circumstances. Skilled, educated, and experienced people (who are in the country legally) don't have the problems you claim are endemic.

not all jobs are mondane and boring. I have been doing the same skilled trade for 21 years and not every job is the same. I have to use my brain to fix the problem. Because the same appilcation will not fix the problem everytime.

Kim Bobo, IWJ executive director and author of Wage Theft in America, says wage theft is “the crime wave no one talks about.”

It’s really all around us. There are workers who are not getting paid minimum wage, not paid overtime, [are] misclassified as independent contractors (so employers can avoid having to pay benefits), who don’t get all their tips. Some workers get laid off and don’t get their last paycheck. For some workers, they work all day and don’t get paid at all.

A new report, issued earlier this week, backs up IWJ’s findings. Nearly half of immigrant day laborers surveyed in New Jersey were not paid for all the work they completed, according to the report by the Seton Hall Law School’s Center for Social Justice. Some 48 percent of the immigrant day laborers surveyed in seven New Jersey towns reported experiencing at least one instance over the past year in which they were not paid for all the work they had done, and more than half (54 percent) said they had been paid less than promised.

In addition, nearly all of the day laborers (94 percent) said they were not paid overtime, the report found. Bryan Lonegan, Seton Hall law professor and co-author of the report, “All Work and No Pay: Day Laborers, Wage Theft, and Workplace Justice in New Jersey,” said in a statement:

Unfortunately, immigrant day laborers are just the highly visible tip of the iceberg because wage theft and labor violations happen all the time in restaurants, gas stations, home health care, janitorial, laundries, car washes and beauty and nail salons.

Wage Theft: The Crime Wave Nobody Talks About | AFL-CIO NOW BLOG

It appears this article is talking mostly about immigrant workers and I wonder if the word "illegal" was conveniently dropped from the article. Makes a big difference.

Forum List

Back