wackjob right and regulation

Does local government have the right to regulate local business?

• Total voters

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
The wackjob right doesn't believe the federal government has the authority to regulate business.

I got that.

But not only that - they don't even think state or local government has the authority to regulate business - even if the regulation is voluntary! I submit as evidence this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/237199-bloomberg-s-nannyism-it-s-come-to-this.html

and ask the general question of you wack job righties -

does local, democratically elected government have the right to regulate local business, so long as its within the confines of the U.S. Constitution and the respective state constitution?

A simple yes or no to the poll suffices

Last edited:
Strawman much, failed OP?

LOL

Can't answer the poll, can you?

Don't even know your own opinion on the matter. I suppose I should have added a 3rd choice - "yes, but only if I personally think its a good law, even if I don't actually live there". Or a 4th "No, unless FOX news doesn't instruct me to be outraged at the regulation, in which case, its OK"

The wackjob right doesn't believe the federal government has the authority to regulate business.

I got that.

But not only that - they don't even think state or local government has the authority to regulate business - even if the regulation is voluntary! I submit as evidence this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/237199-bloomberg-s-nannyism-it-s-come-to-this.html

does local, democratically elected government have the right to regulate local business, so long as its within the confines of the U.S. Constitution and the respective state constitution?

Bloomberg is a democrat.

Most righties do think the gov't has a role in regulating business, it's just a question of how much, how effectrively, and how costly. You guys tend to go overboard on it when you get the chance.

Answer to your question: yes.

I got that.

Bloomberg is a democrat.

No he isn't. He's an independent. Before that he was a Republican. Before that he was a Democrat. Given his propensity to jump all over the place, its not surprising there is confusion as to which party he's in.

Most righties do think the gov't has a role in regulating business, it's just a question of how much, how effectrively, and how costly. You guys tend to go overboard on it when you get the chance.

If voluntary regulations is "going overboard" then I fail to see how any regulation could not be considered "going overboard"

I got that.

Do you really not see a difference between regulating a company based on safety, and regulating a company based on an opinion that it's owner holds?

Yes, there should be state regulations on companies, there should not however be regulations based on opinions or religios beliefs of the owner.

There is one of the differences between liberals and conservatives. If conservatives don't like something a company or it's owner is doing what do they do? They don't do business with that company. If liberals don't like something that a company or it's owner is doing what do they do? They ask the government to make it impossible for that company to survive by making up regulations so that company can not do business.

How about you liberals do something on your own instead of trying to get government to do your dirty work for you? If you don't like what a company is doing, stop doing business with it. Don't govern it out of existence. That is not the role of government.

Rick

I got that.

You ask a question with an obvious answer. Local governments have the legal authority to come up with whatever codes and regulations they choose to apply to operations within their jurisdiction. If not, they should not be called governments (or governing authorities). What no local government in the US has is the authority to demand that you live or do business there.

You have asked a stupid fucking question, no matter who you addressed when doing so.

Plus, you started with a false statement.

...and you call the right a bunch of wack jobs! Jesus!

I got that.

This has far less to do with regulating business than social engineering and manipulating personal behavior.
Who "needs" this kind of heavy handed crap in their lives?
Bloomberg clearly believes he's got it all figured out and it's up to him to show the rest of us dumb, giant soda chugging, bottle feeding schlubs "The Way".

Sensible regulation is one thing. Standardizing parenthood is something entirely different.

The nanny state is a purely democratic ideal, in no way connected to the GOP. Your pitiful attempt to tie that idiot Bloomberg to the repubs is ridiculous, but typical. And if you think all those new regs the democrats have dreamed up over the past few years are voluntary, you are mistaken.

I got that.

Governments do not have rights.

I got that.

Of course they have the right. The question is when they do it to the extent the business' pack up and move to a friendlier location who wins? The regulators? Ha ha ha.

Strawman much, failed OP?

LOL

If by straw man you mean good argument that puts you in a position where you either have to claim the government has no power to regulate business, or admit you are wrong about the right's bullshit then I guess that is a straw man. Most of us call that backing you into a corner.

I got that.

That’s the problem: the radical right doesn’t accept Constitutional case law concerning Congress’ power to regulate as authorized by the Commerce Clause and Necessary and Proper Clause, rendering debate on the subject pointless.

Court precedents involving the commerce and ‘necessary and proper’ clauses - The Washington Post

I got that.

Bloomberg is a democrat.

bloomberg WAS a republican

he's now an independent...not a democrat.

First the wackjob criminal element on the left which gave us OWS needs to tell us what they mean by the word "regulate". My guess is that they are too dumb to understand what they are talking about.

I got that.

Bloomberg is a democrat.

You are right, but the man definitely acts like a democrat. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, I thought he was a duck. So to speak. But the kind of programs he's pushing, that's nanny state stuff that the GOP is against.

Bloomberg is a democrat.

You are right, but the man definitely acts like a democrat. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, I thought he was a duck. So to speak. But the kind of programs he's pushing, that's nanny state stuff that the GOP is against.

no. he doesn't. democrat is not defined by things you don't like.

and your not being dishonest would be appreciated.

???? How am I being dishonest? The OP has a link talking about baby formula instead of breast milk, Bloomberg wants to favor one over the other. He's also the one who outlawed the 32 oz sodas, true? That is what I call nanny state regulating, which I maintain is a big gov't democrat position rather than a republican one.

I got that.

Yeah they can, but it depends on the regulation. Do you really want the government to tell you what to eat and drink or if your wife should breastfeed? And you call conservatives stupid??????? Try THINKING FOR YOURSELF and MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean lliberals dont like black and white morality, but they are all or nothing on every other issue......what a bunch of tools

Last edited:

Forum List

Back