Voyager 1 goes beyond the edge

This is the sort of stuff this country should be doing with wild abandon. The voyager was done on the cheap.

No Crap!!! Why can't we pump 1 trillion into NASA? Talk about some fun times!!! :D

Normally wars are the causes of great innovation. The space race of the 1960's and 70's was the exception to the rule. We definately need to renew our focus in space to get us the hell off of this single rock.

Duh! There was this thing called a "Cold War" going on at the time!

Yes I know, and the space race was basically an instrument of propaganda, however, the goal of the various bits of machinery was not to destroy but to get us out into space. That was the difference I was speaking about.

The space race was initiated when the Ruskies got sputnik into orbit and we realized that the could shoot missiles into Iowa as a result. The civilian part of the space race was fueled by military need. Dual purpose parts!

Amazing.

To put it in perspective, V1 has traveled almost 11 BILLION miles.

Which is .002 light years.

The closest galaxy to ours is 25,000 light years away (Canis Major), and Andromeda (the closest spiral, similar to ours) is 25,000,000 light years away.

As amazing as V1 has been, in terms of the universe, we haven't made it off the front porch yet :)

Amazing.

To put it in perspective, V1 has traveled almost 11 BILLION miles.

Which is .002 light years.

The closest galaxy to ours is 25,000 light years away (Canis Major), and Andromeda (the closest spiral, similar to ours) is 25,000,000 light years away.

As amazing as V1 has been, in terms of the universe, we haven't made it off the front porch yet :)

We've barely opened the door my man!:50:

A more rewarding project, doable now, would be to put a super Hubble up. The Hubble has expanded our knowledge base immensely.

Manned exploration of the inner system should be a goal for this century. The cost is such that it will have to be a cooperative effort of all the nations. But it will benefit all of the nations.

Perhaps we should have that picture front and center on the national and international news for a while, just to impress on the general publics mind how precarious our survival as a species is as long as we exist on just this one single rock. The picture of earthrise on the moon definately had an impact on the perception of the fact that we are all on a single small planet.

Voyager - Golden Record

Sounds of nature, human languages, animal sounds, images....I wonder if it will be recognizable at all to anyone that might find it and figure out how to play it?

Shit. ya know what? whoever finds it will find out we have gold and copper here. WE"RE FUCKED!!!! :eek:

Send them a video of a tea party and a NASCAR race.
Stupidity repels intelligent beings.

Voyager - Golden Record

Sounds of nature, human languages, animal sounds, images....I wonder if it will be recognizable at all to anyone that might find it and figure out how to play it?

Shit. ya know what? whoever finds it will find out we have gold and copper here. WE"RE FUCKED!!!! :eek:

There's a wise crack about football teams at major colleges waiting to be posted, but I'm not the one who is going to post it.

This is the sort of stuff this country should be doing with wild abandon. The voyager was done on the cheap.

No Crap!!! Why can't we pump 1 trillion into NASA? Talk about some fun times!!! :D

A trillion is facetious. But (and I know this is off topic) do you have any idea what kind of a jobs program Apollo was and what it did for the economy as well as science? Not just in aerospace, but in many industries related and unrelated. Just food for thought.

NASA's leaders made an early decision to rely upon outside researchers and technicians to complete the Apollo project. Between 80 and 90 percent of NASA's overall budget in the 1960s went for contracts to purchase goods and services from private industry, research institutions, and universities. Contractor employees working on the program increased more than 10 times, from 36,500 in 1960 to 376,700 in 1965. NASA found that this was both good politics and the best way of getting Apollo done on time. It was also very nearly the only way to harness talent and institutional resources already in existence in the emerging aerospace industry and the country's leading research universities.

More than 500 contractors worked on both large and small aspects of Apollo. For example, the Boeing Company was the prime contractor for the first stage of the Saturn rocket, North American Aviation for the second stage, and the Douglas Aircraft Corporation for the third stage. The Rocketdyne Division of North American Aviation was responsible for the rocket engines and International Business Machines for the instruments. These prime contractors, with more than 250 subcontractors, provided millions of parts and components for use in the Saturn launch vehicle, all meeting exacting specifications for performance and reliability.

America's Space Program --Reading 1

And that doesn't include the secondary effects on service and other industries catering to those directly employed in the project OR public sector employment. ;)

Voyager - Golden Record

Or we could send them a video of Michelle Obama's ass moving across the White House lawn. Just in case they want to see a solar eclipse from our point of view. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back