VOX: "Obamacare’s individual mandate is unpopular. But it’s crucial to making Obamacare work"

Discussion in 'ObamaCare' started by basquebromance, Nov 19, 2017.

1. basquebromance

basquebromance Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,724
    Obamacare’s individual mandate, the new target in the GOP tax plan, explained

So.....the product doesn't work unless people are forced to buy the product?

The OBAMACARE mandate is a tax on Americans who can’t afford insurance. “This is a moral outrage, and the public agrees: 66% of Americans oppose the mandate, according to a 2017 YouGov poll.”

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. Missourian

Missourian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,868
    Get rid of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,227
    so what's the alternative?

Allow insurance companies to call everything a "pre-existing" condition?

Or don't allow them, but then allow people to buy insurance when they get sick?

That would bankrupt the Insurance Industry pretty quickly.

4. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,803
    As long as they are honest with their customers before they sell them a policy, it's none of your business.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JoeB131

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,227
    But you just hit on the exact problem. THEY AREN'T HONEST. They are out to make money.

And frankly, the customers aren't going to be honest, either. They'll lie about their medical conditions if they can get away with it.

And this is why you need government, buddy. To protect us from each other and sometimes ourselves. But you think it will all work with Libertarian Fairy dust.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. MadChemist

MadChemist VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    That is what I don't get with you.

1. I have always had good luck with my insurance. In the case of my car insurance, I had an agent call and ask why I had the policy I had as the car had aged. As a result of his efforts, my premiums were reduced. I have never had an issue with getting my health insurance to cover things they said they'd cover. And I know plenty of people who have had the same experience.

2. You say they are not interest so that is why we need government. Like the government is any more honest. Look at the morons running the show now. That simply seems foolish to me.

I know there are issues with insurance companies in some areas and they are profit driven. I don't find that as reprehensible as you do, but that is for a different day.

7. JoeB131

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,227
    I had to spend two years fighting with Cigna to get treatment that my doctor said I needed, and at the end of that, they made our employer get rid of any of us who ran up medical bills.

Health insurance isn't like auto insurance.

Here's the thing. Yup, the government is run by crooks, but their biggest fear is that we might vote them out of office if they don't deliver the goods.

That's what keeps them "honest'. There's no such restraint on big insurance. In fact, they get rewarded for cheating the customers. The CEO of Cigna got a nine figure retirement package for years of cheating people out of insurance they had paid for.

Profiting off of human suffering IS reprehensible.

Now, here's the thing. I really do think some things are better served by a capitalist model. Health Care isn't one of them. YOu see, unlike buying a car, where I can go with a cheaper car, or get a few more years out of my old car, I really don't have that option with my health. That gives the seller of the service a big advantage over the buyer.

8. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,803
    Is that they way it works in your head? Anyone out to make money is dishonest???

Once again, Libertarians aren't anarchists, and people who make money aren't inherently dishonest. When they are, yes, we need government to step in. But you want government to assume everyone is guilty from the outset, that anyone who seeks gain is evil. That's just dumb.

9. JoeB131

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,227
    I think when you sell someone an insurance policy, and give them something that doesn't cover them when they get sick, that's really dishonest. Don't you?

Yeah, you aren't anarchists. You guys want the benefits of civilization, you just don't want to do the things to make it work. Libertarians are teenagers who never grew up.

I'll admit, my wonderful experiences with Cigna in the Oughts has biased me. But that shit totally happened. That's why I get a little hinky when I hear someone say, "Hey, let's loosen up the regs on Insurance, that'll fix everything!"

10. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,803
    Not if the policy clearly notes what is covered and what isn't.

Yeah, you aren't anarchists. You guys want the benefits of civilization, you just don't want to do the things to make it work. Libertarians are teenagers who never grew up.[/quote]

More of your lurid fantasies.

Funny thing is, I've had the same negative experiences with insurance. That's why I refuse to buy their products. You're solution is to force everyone to buy their products. That's some sick shit.