Voting On The Internet

Would you support voting over the Internet?

• YES - Voting on the Internet would ROCK!

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • NO - Voting on the Internet would be SCARY!

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No. Too easy to cheat.

Vote in person with a paper ballot read by an optical scanner.

It's the best way to prevent cheating.

We seem to be able to keep things fair on these USMB polls - I think the concept at least has merit.

-Joe

The problem with voting on the internet is that as things are now, it would be unverifiable and given to fraud. Hypothetically, if this problem were overcome, it would be great.

The fact is that internet type technology could be used to create a separate system for universal voting. This would provide for true equality in voting, rather than the current electoral college system which gives more voting power to people that live in less populated states.

The electoral college may have been a practical necessity at the time the Constitution was written, but nowadays, it is obsolete and unfair. It insures voting inequality and is in direct contradiction with the notion of equality in voting.

Of course, Utah will never agree to changing that.

No. Too easy to cheat.

Vote in person with a paper ballot read by an optical scanner.

It's the best way to prevent cheating.

I disagree. I think you should have to circle your choice on the ballot (instead of dots that can be misread by machines) and each ballot should be hand counted by a committee. Fuck machine error.

There is no way I would vote on the "internet". I honestly do not even have enough "faith" to vote by mail ... considering the U.S. Postal Service! :eusa_eh:

I still think the .... Vote on election day, stick your finger in a vat of dye to prove that you, have voted ... it not a bad idea at all. :eusa_shifty:

But I do agree ... get rid of those damn machines. :evil: If you can not read a paper ballot - you should not be voting! Simple as that.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Jon
I disagree. I think you should have to circle your choice on the ballot (instead of dots that can be misread by machines) and each ballot should be hand counted by a committee. Fuck machine error.

i agree. use to be all voting was by paper ballot and counted by hand that evening....all counted on a small local level...why not go back to that...

i agree. use to be all voting was by paper ballot and counted by hand that evening....all counted on a small local level...why not go back to that...

Exactly, there are enough election workers in every district to hand count these things in a matter of hours. Hell, even if it took two days, I could wait two days to find out who the new President is if it means we know the election was fair. It's not like they take over office the day after elections or anything.

Exactly, there are enough election workers in every district to hand count these things in a matter of hours. Hell, even if it took two days, I could wait two days to find out who the new President is if it means we know the election was fair. It's not like they take over office the day after elections or anything.

We use the paper ballot in Florida, its like the scan tron used in college tests and the SAT(at least when I went to school), I think the only problem you could run into is how dark the circle is marked but they give you ink pens instead of #2 pencils.

We use the paper ballot in Florida, its like the scan tron used in college tests and the SAT(at least when I went to school), I think the only problem you could run into is how dark the circle is marked but they give you ink pens instead of #2 pencils.

Yeah, but remember that if you mark outside the box, the computer can misread the ballot.

Yeah, but remember that if you mark outside the box, the computer can misread the ballot.

Yeah, I heard they have a way to check your ballot at the voting center to make sure it will accept but I didnt see it when I was there and they werent promoting anything.

Serious question, not a joke or a jab. But is Florida not the state that had the "hanging chad" problem's? If so .... they have replaced all of those?

If I am wrong about Florida ... please feel free to correct me with the state that did have all of those problems. :)

Yeah, I heard they have a way to check your ballot at the voting center to make sure it will accept but I didnt see it when I was there and they werent promoting anything.

I don't think that would be allowed. Because that means that the election worker would see your votes, and I really think that's prohibited. I may be wrong though.

Serious question, not a joke or a jab. But is Florida not the state that had the "hanging chad" problem's? If so .... they have replaced all of those?

If I am wrong about Florida ... please feel free to correct me with the state that did have all of those problems. :)

No, your right, You wont hear me defend Florida, if you have ever been here you would know why we fuck up everything on a consistent basis. I can only speak for my district that we use the paper ballot, who knows what the rest of the state is using.

Not yet to internet voting.

The tech will be viable in a few years when you consider how fast online commerce became available.

I'm not anti-machine or anti-tech. I am anti-fraud, and anti-verification.

For the guy who is worried about the electoral college.... no worries, it is still the most fair options when you remember that "the people" are not who it is aimed at. The States, not the people, elect a president.

I don't think that would be allowed. Because that means that the election worker would see your votes, and I really think that's prohibited. I may be wrong though.

Its something I heard on tv from Oprah(damn I feel gay quoting Oprah). But didnt know if it was true and it didnt matter because I already voted.

Forum List

Back