Voters say they were duped into registering as Republicans

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Voters say they were duped into registering as Republicans - Los Angeles Times

Voters contacted by The Times said they were tricked into switching parties while signing what they believed were petitions for tougher penalties against child molesters. Some said they were told that they had to become Republicans to sign the petition, contrary to California initiative law. Others had no idea their registration was being changed.

Election officials and lawmakers have launched investigations into the activities of YPM workers in Florida and Massachusetts. In Arizona, the firm was recently a defendant in a civil rights lawsuit. Prosecutors in Los Angeles and Ventura counties say they are investigating complaints about the company.

The firm, which a Republican Party spokesman said is paid $7 to $12 for each registration it secures, has denied any wrongdoing and says it has never been charged with a crime.

The 70,000 voters YPM has registered for the Republican Party this year will help combat the public perception that it is struggling amid Democratic gains nationally, give a boost to fundraising efforts and bolster member support for party leaders, political strategists from both parties say.

:eusa_whistle:

You'd be surprised how widespread this shit is. I've seen them doing this for several election cycles. In 2004, they duped a girlfriend of mine into signing some petition allegedly against child predators and they got her name on their voter registration card and changed her registration to republican without her knowledge.

They do it for several reasons, but one major one is the more people they can drop off the democratic rolls, that's just less people the Democratic campaigns have on their registration lists to call for get out the vote efforts or for donations. Also, sometimes they switch people to absentee voter without their knowledge and then when they go to the polls on election day they're totally fucked. They can't vote.

Its way more widespread than any shit ACORN has ever been demonstrated to do. And unlike ACORN workers making up some fake names to get paid more money, this is intentional voter suppression. Its intended to try to sway an election.

You know what I did when I found out what those dudes did to my girlfriend? I drove down to their registration table, made them give back my girlfriend's registration card, ripped it up in their face, and announced to everyone in front of the store what these hacks were doing. Then, I reported them to law enforcement. I never saw them in front of that store again. :lol:

You'd be surprised how widespread this shit is. I've seen them doing this for several election cycles. In 2004, they duped a girlfriend of mine into signing some petition allegedly against child predators and they got her name on their voter registration card and changed her registration to republican without her knowledge.

They do it for several reasons, but one major one is the more people they can drop off the democratic rolls, that's just less people the Democratic campaigns have on their registration lists to call for get out the vote efforts or for donations. Also, sometimes they switch people to absentee voter without their knowledge and then when they go to the polls on election day they're totally fucked. They can't vote.

Its way more widespread than any shit ACORN has ever been demonstrated to do. And unlike ACORN workers making up some fake names to get paid more money, this is intentional voter suppression. Its intended to try to sway an election.

You know what I did when I found out what those dudes did to my girlfriend? I drove down to their registration table, made them give back my girlfriend's registration card, ripped it up in their face, and announced to everyone in front of the store what these hacks were doing. Then, I reported them to law enforcement. I never saw them in front of that store again. :lol:

What happened to your girlfriend happened here.

Another thing this trickery accomplishes is that in closed election states you are forced out of voting in the primaries. For instance, in Florida you may only vote in the primary of your party. Imagine showing up at the polls and not being allowed to vote.

This is true voter fraud but since it's done by Republicans there is no outcry among them.

Only for the primaries, in the general election you do not have to declare a party.

Okay, so you have to register and vote for your preferred candidate if you are a registered Republican, Democrat etc. And so you get to tell the party who the rep is going to be without being a paid up member of the party? Is that it?

Okay, so you have to register and vote for your preferred candidate if you are a registered Republican, Democrat etc. And so you get to tell the party who the rep is going to be without being a paid up member of the party? Is that it?

You get to vote for which party candidate you'd like to see nominated. It doesn't mean the others in the party will go along with you. It's the reason you hear so many complaints about 'crossovers' trying to influence the other party's selection.

You get to vote for which party candidate you'd like to see nominated. It doesn't mean the others in the party will go along with you. It's the reason you hear so many complaints about 'crossovers' trying to influence the other party's selection.

I need to break out my USPOLSCI books from undergrad days.

I also need to slap myself.

No, please, don't offer, it's something I have to do myself :D

I need to break out my USPOLSCI books from undergrad days.

I also need to slap myself.

No, please, don't offer, it's something I have to do myself :D

Considering your grad days were close to mine, you'll need to get some updates. Most states now or at least a significant number of them do allow open primaries, which has changed the dynamics of the primaries significantly.

Considering your grad days were close to mine, you'll need to get some updates. Most states now or at least a significant number of them do allow open primaries, which has changed the dynamics of the primaries significantly.

Thanks Kat, I will have to get up to speed.

But I stil have my much thumbed Samuel Eliot Morrison right here - not contemporary obviously but a much loved resource of immense depth.

Thanks Kat, I will have to get up to speed.

But I stil have my much thumbed Samuel Eliot Morrison right here - not contemporary obviously but a much loved resource of immense depth.

Indeed. I'm off to school, going to be a long day. Later, gator.

Forum List

Back