Voters reject Obama!

Fact: Did you know that the U.S. is the only major country in the world in which the people mostly only know one language? We are lazy. We are so worried about having someone speak another language. Woop Dee Doo. What about when we came here and took over who was already here? They had to learn a new language. We are lazy as Americans. Learning a new language only helps better understand the one we already know. BTW, I got this information from an American foreign language teacher who has definitley done the research.

Can there ever be a situation, especially when dealing with a foreign power, when knowledge of even more than their language is a detriment?

Fact: Did you know that the U.S. is the only major country in the world in which the people mostly only know one language? We are lazy. We are so worried about having someone speak another language. Woop Dee Doo. What about when we came here and took over who was already here? They had to learn a new language. We are lazy as Americans. Learning a new language only helps better understand the one we already know. BTW, I got this information from an American foreign language teacher who has definitley done the research.
Im not against education, learning new languages no dault, increases intelligence, however you got information from again an outsider, from someones research that looks at US from the outside in. When in fact the grumblers and whiners are the ones that dont want to learn english and are lazy. Do you realize that American english is the most complex language on earth to learn(not to mention our various dialects), oh sure anyone could come to America an speak our hollywood slang, but thats more the reason most foreigners are not allowed in high positions of US Intelligence, to be in those positions you have to think American english(or born in the mindset), you cant be a foreigner speaking American English and transpose, some words sound the same(homonyms and synonyms) but have different meanings and could make the difference in a do or die situation...When in ROME, do as the Romans do...
Oh and im 1/8 North American Choctaw Indian can you speak that, can the spanish speak that?!?!?

Last edited:
I think what Obama meant is that other nations have children that speak multiple languages such as two languages or even three in some. He is calling for us to keep up with other nations in teaching our kids how to be multi-lingual. It sounds like the article might have been taken out of context. :eusa_whistle:

If we need a second language to be more like Europe, why not teach our school children German, French, or Italian?

Sounds like a bunch of dumb BS to me

Now there's a brilliant rejoinder.:rolleyes:

Remey688 Quote:
If we need a second language to be more like Europe, why not teach our school children German, French, or Italian?

Why not? It would at least start to cure our national monolinguitis.

It might be preferable, however, to start with the main American languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French.

Or, from a national security point of view, it would be a good idea to have some citizens who are fluent in Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, or Russian.

Somewhere I heard the statistic that there are more teachers of English in Russia than there are students of Russian in the US. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'd be willing to bet that a lot more Russians speak our language than Americans speak theirs, and the same could be said of Arabic speakers, or Farsi, or any of the Middle East languages.

What effect do you think that might have on our ability to influence events in those countries, and have accurate intelligence regarding their activities?

Forum List

Back