Voter rolls

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
Why are our states so far behind technology? How is it someone can be dead for years, trailer parks shut down and boarded up, but rolls aren't updated?

Perhaps because I'm young, and have always had the Internet at my fingertips, but it seems ludicrous to me that we haven't yet streamlined the way our government processes documents.

Last edited:
Why are our states so far behind technology? How is it someone can be dead for years, trailer parks shut down and boarded up, but rolls aren't updated?

Perhaps because I'm young, and have always had the Internet at my fingertips, but it seems ludicrous to me that we haven't yet streamlined the way our governor processes documents.

It's because we have cut spending to the bone in most states. Somethings have to be chunked overboard. Removing the dead from voting rolls is probably the first thing to get chunked..the dead don't have much of a constituency.

This is the problem with the "small government" crowd. The same ones who crow 24/7 about this are the same ones who want 1 government employee doing the job of 7.

Just watch this thread...

Perhaps because I'm young, and have always had the Internet at my fingertips, but it seems ludicrous to me that we haven't yet streamlined the way our government processes documents.

when was the last time government streamlined anything important?

If they do what you suggest, Democrats wouldn't get half the votes they usually get and they couldn't steal elections.

If someone's issued a death certificate, if a building is rezoned as commercial, or condemned, change of addresses, felony convictions, etc etc. If the state had a streamlined updated system, the voter rolls could update themselves, thus preventing the cursed "voter fraud" as well as freeing up actual people from doing the work a computer could do and do better. Not to mention preventing actual voters from being kicked off the roles in these sweeps many states seem fond of.

There have been many law suites preventing jurisdictions from perging voter rolls, to what end, you tell me, most of the suites have been filed by the dems.

There have been many law suites preventing jurisdictions from perging voter rolls, to what end, you tell me, most of the suites have been filed by the dems.

The only case of which I am aware was in Florida, and that was led by the election commissioner of a Republican precinct. Legitimate voters had been purged from the rolls.

If legitimate voters are purged from the rolls, don't you think that should be stopped?

If they do what you suggest, Democrats wouldn't get half the votes they usually get and they couldn't steal elections.

Shut the fuck up.

Perhaps because I'm young, and have always had the Internet at my fingertips, but it seems ludicrous to me that we haven't yet streamlined the way our governor processes documents.

It's because we have cut spending to the bone in most states. Somethings have to be chunked overboard. Removing the dead from voting rolls is probably the first thing to get chunked..the dead don't have much of a constituency.

This is the problem with the "small government" crowd. The same ones who crow 24/7 about this are the same ones who want 1 government employee doing the job of 7.

Just watch this thread...

Yeah theres nothing to cut in government....what a crock of shit....Updating rolls should be easy with computers and a proper registration system.....
I mean you have what 2 years to update them? Not enough time for a government union worker I guess

and we already have 1 government employee doing the job of 7, look at construction or congress.....

If someone's issued a death certificate, if a building is rezoned as commercial, or condemned, change of addresses, felony convictions, etc etc. If the state had a streamlined updated system, the voter rolls could update themselves, thus preventing the cursed "voter fraud" as well as freeing up actual people from doing the work a computer could do and do better. Not to mention preventing actual voters from being kicked off the roles in these sweeps many states seem fond of.

You have some very good points and ideas.....you need to get on the election commission

I tend to think that in matters such as this; you have to get away from the automation process too much. How many John Smiths die each day? I'm not sure. I bet it's a lot. Then there are overlapping jurisdictions between state, federal, local agencies. Who says they are all on the same page as to the right John Smith? I heard somewhere that over the next 10 years, 18,000 Americans will be turning 65 each day. I don't know how accurate that is but really...this is going to get worse.

When I moved into this Condo, my phone was not switched due to some reason. So I got a new number. Some guy/gal named Tillis had the number first. They likely have this address too. If a Tillis turns up dead; they may bump me off the voting rolls based on my address. Maybe not.

I think the point is that we want more government than we're willing to pay for and we want a government to be able to take swift action in some cases while being totally ignorant of our personal lives in others.

Until we determine that it is worth paying a few extra employees to tend to the voter rolls, tend to the unpaid parking tickets, unpaid taxes, malfeasance, etc...we're going to have instances like this.

I think it's a difference of opinion. Some think its ok to disenfranchise 1,000 citizens if it prevents 1 fraudulent vote, others disagree.

You didn't prove any disenfranchisement, the woman was notified, she provided evidence that she wasn't living in a grocery store or something, no problem. Show me just 1 that has actually been disenfranchised, just 1.

And your proof of this is?

Voter ‘fraud’ is a non-issue, a contrivance of conservatives.

And there is insufficient evidence justifying restricting this fundamental right.

I tend to think that in matters such as this; you have to get away from the automation process too much. How many John Smiths die each day? I'm not sure. I bet it's a lot. Then there are overlapping jurisdictions between state, federal, local agencies. Who says they are all on the same page as to the right John Smith? I heard somewhere that over the next 10 years, 18,000 Americans will be turning 65 each day. I don't know how accurate that is but really...this is going to get worse.

When I moved into this Condo, my phone was not switched due to some reason. So I got a new number. Some guy/gal named Tillis had the number first. They likely have this address too. If a Tillis turns up dead; they may bump me off the voting rolls based on my address. Maybe not.

I think the point is that we want more government than we're willing to pay for and we want a government to be able to take swift action in some cases while being totally ignorant of our personal lives in others.

Until we determine that it is worth paying a few extra employees to tend to the voter rolls, tend to the unpaid parking tickets, unpaid taxes, malfeasance, etc...we're going to have instances like this.

First it's not nearly as complicated as you make it out to be...I've done voter rolls for campaigns....so it's not that hard

Second they have roughly 2 years to update between elections.....wtf??? How can you not keep it smooth?

First it's not nearly as complicated as you make it out to be...I've done voter rolls for campaigns....so it's not that hard

Second they have roughly 2 years to update between elections.....wtf??? How can you not keep it smooth?

I totally agree with you on voter rolls. As you may know, I'm all for having to produce a picture ID to vote along with your voter registration card. I think the VRC should have a photo on it and all of this nonsense would be wiped away.

According to this site (I didn't cross check it) ItsMyLife.com - How Many People Die in America, 2,600 people pass away every day.

Lets call it 2500 just for the sake of mathematical ease. 2,500/50 = 50 persons per state on average. You would have to pay someone (1 person at least) to look up each decedent and clear them off the books. Frankly, I'm all for it myself. No problem. The conservatives want to eliminate every government job they can and I'm sure that this would be one such job. Then when they bump off the wrong person, someone has to answer the phone call from the Joan Smith who got bumped off incorrectly. Again, I'm all for it. We need to do whatever is practical and necessary to have nearly a completely sterile voting process.

I'm willing to pay for it.

Are you?

Republicans don't want people to vote.

When people vote, they lose.

I totally agree with you on voter rolls. As you may know, I'm all for having to produce a picture ID to vote along with your voter registration card. I think the VRC should have a photo on it and all of this nonsense would be wiped away.

According to this site (I didn't cross check it) ItsMyLife.com - How Many People Die in America, 2,600 people pass away every day.

Lets call it 2500 just for the sake of mathematical ease. 2,500/50 = 50 persons per state on average. You would have to pay someone (1 person at least) to look up each decedent and clear them off the books. Frankly, I'm all for it myself. No problem. The conservatives want to eliminate every government job they can and I'm sure that this would be one such job. Then when they bump off the wrong person, someone has to answer the phone call from the Joan Smith who got bumped off incorrectly. Again, I'm all for it. We need to do whatever is practical and necessary to have nearly a completely sterile voting process.

I'm willing to pay for it.

Are you?

Yeah we already have election commisions...have one of them do it. You dont need many people..
You can ditch a useless school counselor or government burecrat to pay for it.....easy

Link to the supposed states with your scenario(s).

Most cities and counties I know of cleanse the rolls periodically.

Technology is ONLY a tool. Using it to clean rolls with very well likely pull citizens off the rolls.

You seem stuck with more urban legend, myth, and anecdotal tidbits than facts here

Forum List

Back