Voter ID

Why is this an issue. Most Americans has some form of ID. A drivers license, medicare card, social security card, etc. Who does the inability to produce ID disenfranchise? I just don't get it. Why does the left continue to support NOT producing ID when voting. Perhaps I'm just a stupid conservative!

1. it's the TYPE of ID being demanded;
2. it's the timing of the sudden need for such ID when there has been zero proof of the need for it;

and

3. we believe elected officials when they say they celebrate voter ID laws as a means of assuring a romney victory by suppressing the vote for the president.

all good reasons, imo. and the 'oh, we all have ID' thing? is just spin.

to look at actual effects, take a look at jim cramer's experience:

Jim Cramer On Voter ID Laws: 'My Dad, A Vet, Won't Be Allowed To Vote' (UPDATE)

unlike cramer, however, most of us aren't famous enough to get the state of PA to act within a few hours. for old people and poor people, that poses a problem.

There is need of it considering dimwits want illegal immigrants voting for them. Voter ID is no big deal if you believe in the law, but if you are a dimwit that believes in nothing more then holding on to power the law doesn't matter.

So a utility bill is now a 'government document'? A bank statement? Paycheck?

Yes it is one of the NUMEROUS documents they will accept. There was a news report talking about a 'disenfranchised' old lady who had been 'denied' a voter card 6 times. Apparently they missed what she said in the interview or they certainly would have edited it out. She was talking about how they won't give it to her without at least a utility bill. That means she has what she needs. She knows what she needs to do. Yet she carries her ass down there a half dozen times and is too stupid and lazy to do it! I don't really want her voting to be honest.

Yes it is one of the NUMEROUS documents they will accept. There was a news report talking about a 'disenfranchised' old lady who had been 'denied' a voter card 6 times. Apparently they missed what she said in the interview or they certainly would have edited it out. She was talking about how they won't give it to her without at least a utility bill. That means she has what she needs. She knows what she needs to do. Yet she carries her ass down there a half dozen times and is too stupid and lazy to do it! I don't really want her voting to be honest.

I've been very clear on what I think. Anyone that can't PROVE citizenship/eligibility to vote can damned well BE disenfranchised until such time as they are capable of doing so.

If voter suppression is behind the more stringent voter id laws, and I think it is, then it is extremely short-sighted. The fastest growing demographic is the Latinos. Both parties will need to get these votes for electoral success.

By the time the next set of elections roll around, those that could not vote this time will be compliant with the new laws. Most legislatures that are enacting these laws are Republican.

It will be very difficult for Republicans to gain the trust and support of those Latinos (and their family members) who they disenfranchised this time.

Even if the ID Laws work to gain the Republican party a victory the cost could well be 10 years of electoral defeat.

Last edited:
Why is this an issue. Most Americans has some form of ID. A drivers license, medicare card, social security card, etc. Who does the inability to produce ID disenfranchise? I just don't get it. Why does the left continue to support NOT producing ID when voting. Perhaps I'm just a stupid conservative!

Because unlike driving, voting is a fundamental right. And ‘the left’ is more interested in protecting voting rights rather than trying to find ways to prevent Americans from voting.

You’re likely not stupid, but indeed partisan, and buy into the myth that ‘voter fraud’ is costing republicans elections.

i've never figured out why leftists think 'fundamental right' means 'should be freely violated by those it doesn't extend to'. it's the very fact that voting is a fundamental right of our citizens that means it should be protected from abuse by requiring people to prove they have that right.

If voter suppression is behind the more stringent voter id laws, and I think it is, then it is extremely short-sighted. The fastest growing demographic is the Latinos. Both parties will need to get these votes for electoral success.

By the time the next set of elections roll around, those that could not vote this time will be compliant with the new laws. Most legislatures that are enacting these laws are Republican.

It will be very difficult for Republicans to gain the trust and support of those Latinos (and their family members) who they disenfranchised this time.

Even if the ID Laws work to gain the Republican party a victory the cost could well be 10 years of electoral defeat.

I don't really see how requiring an ID suppresses the vote of citizens. I recently moved to Missouri and here you simply go to a licensing office with some proof of residence (a lease agreement, bank statement, utility bill, etc.) and $11. I'm not saying that voter ID is a good thing or a bad thing I just don't buy the argument that if a citizen wanted to vote and didn't have ID then he would have to overcome insurmountable obstacles to get a photo ID. Additionally, you can vote without ID if two supervising election judges, one from each major party, knows you and can confirm you are who you say.

Why is this an issue. Most Americans has some form of ID.

Key word: "Most".

Do you have a link to someone who doesn't have some form of ID that isn't an illegal alien, or a dead person? I wont hold my breath.

"Some form" isn't what is being asked for. States are enacting very specific laws that require current photo ID. The studies are everywhere as to how many voters will be disenfranchised by these overly restrictive laws.

Key word: "Most".

Do you have a link to someone who doesn't have some form of ID that isn't an illegal alien, or a dead person? I wont hold my breath.

"Some form" isn't what is being asked for. States are enacting very specific laws that require current photo ID. The studies are everywhere as to how many voters will be disenfranchised by these overly restrictive laws.

Overly restrictive? Get real, there is nothing 'overly restrictive' about requiring a voter to prove they are legally eligible to cast a ballot.

ETA: You still haven't told me how many ineligible votes were cast in your county 2 years ago....

Correct.

In Virginia, for example:
…voters can use almost any type of government-issued identification cards, as well as paperwork such as utility bills and paycheck stubs. A photo ID is not required.

Voters confused over valid IDs - The News Desk

Similar laws are perfectly reasonable and appropriate in the context of a fundamental right. In addition, voters have already proven their citizenship and eligibility to vote when they register, there’s no need to compel them to show a photo ID at every election. If election officials have evidence a particular voter is attempting to commit fraud, they can address that issue with that voter alone.

Correct.

In Virginia, for example:
…voters can use almost any type of government-issued identification cards, as well as paperwork such as utility bills and paycheck stubs. A photo ID is not required.

Voters confused over valid IDs - The News Desk

Similar laws are perfectly reasonable and appropriate in the context of a fundamental right. In addition, voters have already proven their citizenship and eligibility to vote when they register, there’s no need to compel them to show a photo ID at every election. If election officials have evidence a particular voter is attempting to commit fraud, they can address that issue with that voter alone.

The highlighted portion is false. In the vast majority of states you simply check the box and 'attest' to your eligibility when you register.

Overly restrictive? Get real, there is nothing 'overly restrictive' about requiring a voter to prove they are legally eligible to cast a ballot.

ETA: You still haven't told me how many ineligible votes were cast in your county 2 years ago....

Dint know how many were cast. No ineligible ballots were counted.

Last edited:

That's quite a statement. It stretches my imagination, though.

What procedure do you have in place to verify a registrant's eligibility?

And unless you DO THAT, you'll NEVER know how many, will you?

perhaps this will help

Voting law opponents contend these laws disproportionately affect elderly, minority and low-income groups that tend to vote Democratic. Obtaining photo ID can be costly and burdensome, with even free state ID requiring documents like a birth certificate that can cost up to $25 in some places. According to a study from NYU's Brennan Center, 11 percent of voting-age citizens lack necessary photo ID while many people in rural areas have trouble accessing ID offices. During closing arguments in a recent case over Texas's voter ID law, a lawyer for the state brushed aside these obstacles as the "reality to life of choosing to live in that part of Texas.

Everything You’ve Ever Wanted to Know About Voter ID Laws - ProPublica

A ballot is eligible if the voter is properly registered, period.

What "procedure" do you propose be in place to "verify" a registrants eligibility?

The voter MUST provide their CDL or SSN in order to register. That information is checked through a statewide system that verifies the voter's identification. If it clears, they are registered...nothing more to do but vote. If it doesn't, the voter must provide identification at the polls.

A ballot is eligible if the voter is properly registered, period.

What "procedure" do you propose be in place to "verify" a registrants eligibility?

The voter MUST provide their CDL or SSN in order to register. That information is checked through a statewide system that verifies the voter's identification. If it clears, they are registered...nothing more to do but vote. If it doesn't, the voter must provide identification at the polls.

Does the State of California verify citizenship prior to issuing a driver's license?

If not there is no way to verify if that voter is even eligible to cast a ballot.

Perhaps I'm just a stupid conservative!

As they say, timing is everything.

The timing of this new and improved voter ID law was very suspicious and now the supreme court agrees that now is not the time.

Im a Democrat. I agree, its time to upgrade our current voter ID situation. However, you cant force these laws with out giving people sufficient time to obtain these credentials. Setting a goal for the 2014 elections would be something I could live with.

In PA, we will be asked, but not required to show ID. I will refuse to show it on purpose in protest of a law that is desperately in search of a crime.

Forum List

Back