Voter id law

Bigots seem to think that people of Hispanic origin don't have ID.
I'm not sure why that is.

Must be the same bigots who seem to think blacks are too stupid or lazy to get IDs, too.

Don't forget the elderly.

How come nobody ever says the Asians will be prevented from voting if voter ID laws go into effect? Native Americans? Indians (as opposed to native americans)? Why is it only Hispanics and people of African descent that seem affected by this (according to the opposition)?
I brought up the disabled, because my mother was; and the 2002 election wherein I could only cast a "provisional" ballot because my DL address was different than that at the precinct. I can see Republicans denied the right to cast a ballot because of National ID also. Why don't conservatives bring up the COST, and MORE government regulations?

Must be the same bigots who seem to think blacks are too stupid or lazy to get IDs, too.

How come nobody ever says the Asians will be prevented from voting if voter ID laws go into effect? Native Americans? Indians (as opposed to native americans)? Why is it only Hispanics and people of African descent that seem affected by this (according to the opposition)?
I brought up the disabled, because my mother was; and the 2002 election wherein I could only cast a "provisional" ballot because my DL address was different than that at the precinct. I can see Republicans denied the right to cast a ballot because of National ID also. Why don't conservatives bring up the COST, and MORE government regulations?

Voter fraud has been claimed in the past, by both parties. This election (2012) has the potential of becoming one of the ugliest and most contentious elections in recent history, and fraud will be claimed, by both sides. It would ostensibly benefit both parties to be able to ensure that the vote is as honest (and verifiable) as possible. Is the progressive opposition to some sort of verifiable identification of voters ONLY because conservatives are for it?

It is always possible to bring up isolated, individual cases to argue against something one does not personally view as being to their advantage. There will always be someone who, for whatever reason, will be disadvantaged by these requirements.

Voter fraud has been claimed in the past, by both parties. This election (2012) has the potential of becoming one of the ugliest and most contentious elections in recent history, and fraud will be claimed, by both sides. It would ostensibly benefit both parties to be able to ensure that the vote is as honest (and verifiable) as possible. Is the progressive opposition to some sort of verifiable identification of voters ONLY because conservatives are for it?
There may be conservatives against NATIONAL ID also. I am moderate; I see voting ID as something that allows government interference with a fundamental right. I WOULD support strong criminal penalties as an alternative. As a "fraudulent" voter would need to make sure the actual voter had not voted, there should be many instances of the frauds being charged. I do agree this November could be very close.

There may be conservatives against NATIONAL ID also. I am moderate; I see voting ID as something that allows government interference with a fundamental right. I WOULD support strong criminal penalties as an alternative. As a "fraudulent" voter would need to make sure the actual voter had not voted, there should be many instances of the frauds being charged. I do agree this November could be very close.

It would help if the voter rolls were actually monitored, too. As it is, there are way to many people who have: moved out of the district or died who are still carried on those lists.
It would also help if organizations that facilitated fraud were prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and anyone involved with such organizations were sanctioned in a meaningful way.

Let's suppose I show up to vote and am turned away because some scumbag without an ID voted using my name.
So, let's suppose I somehow manage to track the scumbag down and get him prosecuted after the crime has occurred.
Tell me how I wasn't disenfranchised. Supporting strong criminal penalties only occurs after the crime has been committed. Why not use methods to prevent the crime? It's not like having an ID is a rare thing.
Heck, my picture is on my debit card. Maybe we should have pictures on EBT cards to prevent that fraud. The EBT card can double as an ID for the poor voters.

It would help if the voter rolls were actually monitored, too. As it is, there are way to many people who have: moved out of the district or died who are still carried on those lists.
It would also help if organizations that facilitated fraud were prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and anyone involved with such organizations were sanctioned in a meaningful way.

Let's suppose I show up to vote and am turned away because some scumbag without an ID voted using my name.
So, let's suppose I somehow manage to track the scumbag down and get him prosecuted after the crime has occurred.
Tell me how I wasn't disenfranchised. Supporting strong criminal penalties only occurs after the crime has been committed. Why not use methods to prevent the crime? It's not like having an ID is a rare thing.
Heck, my picture is on my debit card. Maybe we should have pictures on EBT cards to prevent that fraud. The EBT card can double as an ID for the poor voters.
I know people without photo ID, I know I misplace mine from time to time. Photo ID at registration is an option, still, absentee ballots will no longer be counted unless delivered by the VOTER prior to election day BY the voter. Military overseas are SOL.

I know people without photo ID, I know I misplace mine from time to time. Photo ID at registration is an option, still, absentee ballots will no longer be counted unless delivered by the VOTER prior to election day BY the voter. Military overseas are SOL.

Everybody in the military has an ID issued to them by the military.

I'm sure the military could validate who was filling out the absentee ballot.
Your appeal to foolishness is duly noted.

Assuming because you are Hispanic you must be an illegal immigrant is simply another way the GOP practices their racist behavior. I don't assume all Republicans are inbred ignorant homophobic racist uneducated morons too stupid to vote for their own self interests. Some even have fun doing things other than killing defenseless animals and blowing things up. They don't ALL applaud executions and shout "let him die".

But one does not have to a citizen to serve in the US military. The military ballots are returned by MAIL. How thus can THESE be verified?

But one does not have to a citizen to serve in the US military. The military ballots are returned by MAIL. How thus can THESE be verified?

Doesn't matter anyway. The only real threats to elections are ballot stuffing and voter suppression. The primary elections proved which party does that. And it wasn't the Democrats.

Seriously, that is your argument?
One has to be a citizen to register.
The military can validate absentee ballots (as I already pointed out).
1+1=2
Your appeal to the absurd is becoming more ridiculous.

Assuming because you are Hispanic you must be an illegal immigrant is simply another way the GOP practices their racist behavior. I don't assume all Republicans are inbred ignorant homophobic racist uneducated morons too stupid to vote for their own self interests. Some even have fun doing things other than killing defenseless animals and blowing things up. They don't ALL applaud executions and shout "let him die".

People don't assume that.

Hispanic isn't a race
You have no honor.

'How come nobody ever says the Asians will be prevented from voting if voter ID laws go into effect? Native Americans? Indians (as opposed to native americans)? Why is it only Hispanics and people of African descent that seem affected by this (according to the opposition)?'

Because.......the racists just happen to be the opposition.

Forum List

Back