Voter I.D. story

blackhawk

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2012
Deep in the heart of Texas.
I know this is not the hot topic of the moment but just wanted to share this. I just had to renew my drivers license which is also is used as a photo I.D. for voting I did it over the phone it took about 10 minutes and I got the license in less than two weeks I could have also done this in person or online so please don't tell me getting a photo I,D, is an undue burden.

Well, I waited for 3 hours at my dmv. That said, my state does not require it to vote.

Lucky for me in my case, I only need to renew every 8 years, but it is the same process as getting a new one (minus the drivera test). But yes, point being, the question here is not really about renewing a drivers license. Those who need to renew are already pretty well covered. Its more about those who are brand new (young people) or those who might be too old for a license in the first place. It's also about the number of people who don't know that they need the new id, the college students who keep their home id but still have a right to vote, and any bias that in aggregate may help or hurt one group of otherwise eligible voters more than another. Lastly, it's also about the logistics, how many fraudulent votes we think it might prevent, and how many legitimate votes might be lost.

A side note as photo I.D. is required for voting here you can get the non drivers license photo I.D. through the same agency through the same methods like a drivers license they have a renewal date on them and you get a notice through the mail reminding you of this and giving you the methods to renew.

What happens if you dont have a mailing address, or your living place is temporary? It sounds like you are renewing, what is the process to get an original?

What happens if you dont have a mailing address, or your living place is temporary? It sounds like you are renewing, what is the process to get an original?
You can go on the website and apply or go in person if you don't have a mailing address seems to me that would mean your homeless and would have bigger concerns if it's temporary and you think you will be gone before it arrives submit a change of address card or have it sent to someone with a permanent address and get it from them.

Forum List

Back