Voter I.D. Needed?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
With all the voter registration fraud that has been--and is being--brought to our attention daily, do you think it is now time for voters to be required to present identification at the time they arrive at the polls to vote? If yes, what should this identification be? If no, what can be done to solve voter registration fraud in future elections?

without an id that comes from a reliable source, ie state drivers license, military id, etc. there can be no effective way to have an honest vote. a voter registration card that can only be used once in any election would also help.loftis dallas tx

Adam's Apple said:
With all the voter registration fraud that has been--and is being--brought to our attention daily, do you think it is now time for voters to be required to present identification at the time they arrive at the polls to vote? If yes, what should this identification be? If no, what can be done to solve voter registration fraud in future elections?

Yes, and I'm amazed that it isn't required everywhere. Drivers license obviously works, and a lot of states require a picture ID card )or at least used to). Maybe we should have a Voters ID card.

Just seems silly that more time and work goes into getting a Blockbuster membership than goes into getting a voters registration card.

Some who are eligible to vote may not be eligible to drive.

I think that a national ID card is not a bad idea. Some raise concerns about the potential abuse of such a document, but the fact is that there are no weaknesses in a national ID system that do not currently exist in the driver's license databases.

Each state could still be responsible for issuing an ID, but it would be on a federal standard form. The ID should be a multi-function document. Not only should it contain information to identify the owner, but it should also serve as a driver's license, fishing or hunting license, boating etc. Plus it will serve as the bearer's voter identification.

That way those who do not drive will have the same method of identification as everyone. Entering the information into the state's database will make voter fraud more difficult.

This would also get around the issue of absentee ballots. The absentee voter would simply enter his license number on the form.

Merlin1047 said:
Some who are eligible to vote may not be eligible to drive.

I think that a national ID card is not a bad idea. Some raise concerns about the potential abuse of such a document, but the fact is that there are no weaknesses in a national ID system that do not currently exist in the driver's license databases.

Each state could still be responsible for issuing an ID, but it would be on a federal standard form. The ID should be a multi-function document. Not only should it contain information to identify the owner, but it should also serve as a driver's license, fishing or hunting license, boating etc. Plus it will serve as the bearer's voter identification.

That way those who do not drive will have the same method of identification as everyone. Entering the information into the state's database will make voter fraud more difficult.

This would also get around the issue of absentee ballots. The absentee voter would simply enter his license number on the form.

Basically all you would need would be the voters registration cards like they have now, but with a picture on it. Not sure how some states go about it, but the voters registration cards here are pretty simple.

In our state, we have to go to the County Clerk's Office to cast an absentee ballot, but I think having your ballot notarized would be just as effective.

At any rate, I hope everyone will write to their Congressman and recommend that voter I.D. be required in all future elections and state your reasons for it.
It surely is needed to keep our elections honest.

Where I live, you either have to show a voter registration card or state-issued I.D. and prove your address matches where you are registered.

A national ID card is not the solution.

acludem

acludem said:
Where I live, you either have to show a voter registration card or state-issued I.D. and prove your address matches where you are registered.

A national ID card is not the solution.

acludem

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh - your mother's a Republican.

They could just embed a computer chip into your forehead or wrist, with all your personal info on it...

Where I live you don't need any type of ID. You give your name and address, they check their little list to make sure you're in the right place and give you your ballot. Something needs to change!

Forum List

Back