Voter Fraud In Florida!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
From the Boston Globe, you couldn't figure out which party:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a..._mayor_surrender_after_ballot_charges_in_fla/

But from the Florida article, you can, :cof: :

http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=1003018&tw=wn_wire_story

Friday, March 11, 2005 9:20 p.m. ET
By MIKE SCHNEIDER Associated Press Writer
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- The mayor and a circuit court judge surrendered Friday on a felony charge that they paid a campaign worker to collect absentee ballots, and the mayor was suspended from his post.

A defense attorney denied charges against Mayor Buddy Dyer, Circuit Court Judge Alan Apte and two others who also turned themselves in on similar indictments _ Dyer campaign manager Patty Sharp and Ezzie Thomas, a campaign consultant to Dyer and Apte.

Apte has been "unassigned" and his docket has been turned over to another judge, said Karen Levey, a spokeswoman for the 9th Judicial Circuit of Florida. The Judicial Qualifications Commission will probably decide whether Apte stays on the bench.

Dyer, a Democrat, called the charge politically motivated and said he intends to fight it. He could return to his $144,349-a-year job if he is successful.

City Councilman Ernest Page will take the mayor's place until there is a special election within two months.

The indictments were issued a day earlier by a grand jury looking at whether Thomas illegally collected absentee ballots in predominantly black neighborhoods for Dyer's and Apte's campaigns a year ago in this city of 186,000 residents.

Dyer has previously said he was too busy with his mayoral duties to pay attention to the day-to-day details of the campaign.

Dyer said the Federal Department of Law Enforcement had switched the focus of its investigation from election fraud to violations of an absentee ballot law that he said had never been prosecuted before.

"This investigation apparently was focused on only my campaign and the campaign of one judge," Dyer said.

"My campaign employed a campaign consultant who allegedly violated the law by encouraging older African American voters to participate in the elective process and I'm being held to account for that," Dyer said.

The mayoral race, in which Dyer avoided a runoff by only 234 votes, drew accusations of fraud, and the runner-up has gone to court to try to have the results thrown out.

Dyer has said he signed checks and approved invoices worth about $10,000 for Thomas during his re-election campaign. The documents do not say what Thomas was being paid to do, and Dyer has said he didn't know, either.

He, Apte and Sharp declined comment to reporters as they left the Orange County Jail after booking, but Sharp's attorney, Bill Sheaffer, said the defendants had committed no crime.

Thomas' attorney said the indictment doesn't guarantee Thomas will prosecuted. "My client never had any intent to commit any crime," Dean Mosley said.

The four were charged with violating a state law enacted after Miami's 1998 mayoral election was thrown out because of fraud committed in the collection of absentee ballots. Dyer voted for the law as a state senator.

All but Thomas were charged with providing pecuniary gain for absentee ballot possession or collection; Thomas was charged with accepting such gain. Both charges are third-degree felonies punishable by up to five years in prison.

Under Florida law, public officials charged with a felony are usually suspended by the governor until their case is decided and are removed if convicted.

Dyer, a former leader of the state Senate's Democrats and that party's 2002 nominee for attorney general, was first elected mayor in February 2003. He won a special election to fill the remainder of Glenda Hood's term after she was appointed Secretary of State.

I'll have to use that defense the next time I get pulled over for a ticket. :cuckoo:

I suppose we should ignore reports like this and focus on the more important issues of how the Republicans have stolen so many elections....Dorothy, stop looking behind the curtain!

Deornwulf said:
I'll have to use that defense the next time I get pulled over for a ticket. :cuckoo:

I suppose we should ignore reports like this and focus on the more important issues of how the Republicans have stolen so many elections....Dorothy, stop looking behind the curtain!

You're right. Fighting fire with fire is not always a great ethical choice. But Florida 2000 proved that ethics no longer exists in a presidential race.

menewa said:
You're right. Fighting fire with fire is not always a great ethical choice. But Florida 2000 proved that ethics no longer exists in a presidential race.

I couldn't agree more. What the Democrats tried to pull down there was as damaging to the electoral process as anything that has ever come before.

CSM said:
I couldn't agree more. What the Democrats tried to pull down there was as damaging to the electoral process as anything that has ever come before.

Haha. I'm referring to the voter scrub list created by a Choicepoint company, DBT, that wrongfully disenfranchisedd thousands of voters at the behest of Katherrine Harris. You know Choicepoint, they are once again in hot water.

menewa said:
Haha. I'm referring to the voter scrub list created by a Choicepoint company, DBT, that wrongfully disenfranchisedd thousands of voters at the behest of Katherrine Harris. You know Choicepoint, they are once again in hot water.

No porblem huh with the disenfranchisment of armed forces? The attempt to cherry pick votes through recounts in heavily democratic precincts only?

Wow, some believer in democracy you are. :rolleyes:

menewa said:
Choicepoint is once again in hot water/ How come? Are you reffering to the recent incident where scammers culled 100,000 or so IDs from their data base? I dont suppose the scammers have any culpability in that.

Kathianne said:
No porblem huh with the disenfranchisment of armed forces? The attempt to cherry pick votes through recounts in heavily democratic precincts only?

Wow, some believer in democracy you are. :rolleyes:
As he has already stated...monkey see, monkey do. Which apparently is the level of intelligence (in his opinion) of those opposed to Republican voters and the curretn administration. Typically, (one could construe from the above posts) ethics apply only to the latter group.

menewa said:

Bush one every count in florida in 2000. All the court did is stop al gore from implementing his assinine new counting standard. You'll be better off if you learn to accept reality. You're smarter than this, menewa.

Kathianne said:
From the Boston Globe, you couldn't figure out which party:

]

So, the lesson for the savvy consumer of MSM news is: "In the absence of specifics, assume DEMOCRAT".

menewa said:

Bah, I live in Florida, Palm Beach County, to be exact. I was amazed to discover on the National news all of the police roadblocks I somehow missed on the way to work. (I work next to an inner city polling place and drive by three others on my way to work.)

Forum List

Back