Voter Data

Why do we collect such personal information from voters? Why do we need to know what percent of Catholics or Hispanics etc etc vote for each candidate? Besides the obvious, what use does it serve?

It's not like everyone's asked to reveal that info. I've never been. It's done by polling and statistical methods, so the parties know where they can get the best bang for their buck.

Section 1 of the 14th Amendment tends to support your view:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Unfortunately our Constitution has been "interpreted" at various times by political hacks appointed to the Supreme Court as authorizing both "separate but equal" and "affirmative action" policies, despite their obvious conflict with the unambiguous language of this Amendment.

Why do we collect such personal information from voters? Why do we need to know what percent of Catholics or Hispanics etc etc vote for each candidate? Besides the obvious, what use does it serve?

It's not like everyone's asked to reveal that info. I've never been. It's done by polling and statistical methods, so the parties know where they can get the best bang for their buck.

I can understand why it's collected, ie the parties want to know how to tailor their message, who to pander to, who their base is, etc etc.

I suppose my question is more... Why do we allow them to collect such data, and would the discussion be different if we didn't break the vote down so much?

I can understand why it's collected, ie the parties want to know how to tailor their message, who to pander to, who their base is, etc etc.

I suppose my question is more... Why do we allow them to collect such data, and would the discussion be different if we didn't break the vote down so much?

I'm less concerned who they target with a message and more concerned with wheather the message is true or not. Politicians who use lies to raise money should be prosecuted for fraud just like any other con man. When we can't believe the people we hire to represent us the whole damn system is in trouble, and no I don't care which party lies, they should go to jail.

maybe they should have asked if you are a citizen......

Forum List

Back