VooDoo is a legitamate religion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfzIBlqf3TQ]YouTube - Hey Cerrano, Jobu needs a refill![/ame]

So is Buddism, Hinduism, you name it -ism.
Christians will continue to practice the Great Commission.

What about Scientology is this a religion?

1. Buddhism and Hinduism are not against Christianity, though some ways of teaching Christianity as "sectarian" instead of universal exclude Buddhism and Hinduism unjustly (and vice versa - projection and exclusion usually occur mutually by the Golden Rule where you get what you give, as equal and opposite reactions.).

2. Scientology applies variations of concepts in Buddhism to institutionalized practice.
However, the idea of monopolizing some of the knowledge and procedures instead of helping all people to have free and equal access becomes cultish or commercial; and that aspect is not in keeping with either Buddhism or Christianity.

3. If you really practice your faith in a "nonsectarian" way that harmonizes with all other people and groups, any system can be used for right and good. I especially find true Buddhism and Christianity to enhance any path and help establish universal truths; and I would not recommend teaching either without the other. I personally use a combination of Buddhism, Christianity, and Constitutionalism to relate to people effectively; and find that when you are following the spirit of truth and love of justice, all paths are in harmony.

It is only where people get sectarian or selfish about their views this causes conflict. But I have not yet found any conflict that could not be resolved by respecting and aligning people's common values, even if core principles are expressed using different religions.

Last edited:
I have heard many Haitians say they do not need American Christian missionaries coming to Haiti trying to convert them to Christianity.

They see VooDoo as a established and legitimate religion.

Ironic considering that VooDoo is basically a house blend of African tribal practices and Catholicism.

Wrong, VooDoo goes way back in history, long before Catholicism came into existence.
VooDoo has nothing in common with Catholicism.

You are wrong. As I noted, Voodoo is tribal in origin but, just as Christianity adapted pagan rites, holidays, and traditions; Voodoo did the same with Catholocism.

During this 56 year period houngans and mambos built up the public religion of Haiti, Voodoo, in a weird amalgamation of African spirit religion and Catholicism. Virtually all lwa became associated with Catholic saints (Dumballah the snake lwa is St. Patrick; Erzulie, the earth mother is the Virgin Mary). The most important consequence of this is that Haitians see nothing odd at all with practicing Voodoo and Catholicism side by side and are often very devout about each of them.

Haiti: Introduction to Voodoo

This is well researched and documented. It's not just my opinion.

I have heard many Haitians say they do not need American Christian missionaries coming to Haiti trying to convert them to Christianity.

So they don't want to talk to your man in the sky? Cool.

Some feel that it was this VooDoo God , that brought the Earth quake catastrophe upon
the Haitians.?
VooDoo does require human sacrifice at certain times.!!

Vodou originated from the Yuroba and Igbo tribal religious traditions in West Africa which they themselves had been influence by Islam and Hebrewism. In fact Vodou has traceable roots back to the Queen of Sheba and early Hebrew mysticism. In Haiti it has mixed with Catholic and Christian influences. Vodou does not require human sacrifices. There are reports of certain priests using human sacrifices to summon evil spirits, but that's in no way a part of the regular practices of the religion itself, and most Haitians would not even consider offering a human sacrifice to an evil spirit.

As a Haitian myself I know many that practice Vodou within my own family.

Voodoo might be a good religion. You don't have to believe in anybody. You just need a couple of real good chicken feet to shake at somebody and some needles to stick into goofy looking dolls.

That's not vodou. That's called "roots". When you hear somebody say that a person "works roots", that's what they're doing. Look up "hoodoo" or "hood voodoo", it's practiced by African Americans in the south especially in Louisiana and Mississippi, and isn't a religion just the using of spells and what not some of which originated from Vodou practices. Vodou is a religion, however, complete with birth, baptismal, and burial rites.

Vodun is simply worship of one's ancestors, not the negative BS you see with people poking pins in dolls. Its not Christian, nor of God so the Bass doesn't follow it, but those catholics who pray to saints and worship Mary are not different than Vodun practioneers.

Vodun is simply worship of one's ancestors, not the negative BS you see with people poking pins in dolls. Its not Christian, nor of God so the Bass doesn't follow it, but those catholics who pray to saints and worship Mary are not different than Vodun practioneers.

Which is why the two melded so easily.

It's a pretty common story among all religions.

And your point, where ever missionaries go they try to convert because THAT IS WHAT THEY DO.

Ironic considering that VooDoo is basically a house blend of African tribal practices and Catholicism.

Wrong, VooDoo goes way back in history, long before Catholicism came into existence.
VooDoo has nothing in common with Catholicism.
Two others already beat me to the submit reply on this.

One can meld vodun with Catholicism but vodun cannot be melded with the beliefs of the Bible.

One can meld vodun with Catholicism but vodun cannot be melded with the beliefs of the Bible.
Why not? Here when people get mad at a priest for whatever reason the ring his house with dead chickens.:eusa_shhh:

I'll leave that up to the higher powers to debate.

However, the tendency to create ritual to explain the supernatural which is then adapted and used by other religions/cultures to fit their own belief system is a fairly common thread in theology.

New Topics

Forum List

Back