Volvo (Cars): Over the Years

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Established in 1915 as a subsidiary of SKF (large bearing and seal manufacturing outfit), Volvo is a successful Swedish automobile manufacturing company that rivals Saab in the Swedish car market.

Over the years, Volvo has given us square cars, reliable cars, sturdy cars, and handsome cars.

Volvos are stereotypically very 'boxy' in appearance but are considered to be one of the safest brands of automobiles on the road today.

Volvos offer great handling and good mileage and are popular family-car purchases in the USA and elsewhere.

Volvo is a great capitalism symbol of automobile market appeal, which is why hippies, yuppies, and automobile aficionados alike have praised the general appeal of Volvos.

I suspect that the Saab-Volvo 'rivalry' should provide the consumer market with a necessary and welcomed non-Japanese (Nissan, Toyota, Honda) 'sales injection' in the coming years (...of Trump/Clinton administration).

:2up:

Volvo.com

Volvo (Wikipedia)

v3.jpg v2.JPG

v4.jpg v1.jpg

My first car was a Volvo. Looked exactly like this:

Screen+shot+2010-10-15+at+3.41.47+PM.png

-- although that's not me standing by it ... I would never wear a monkey suit.

Wonderful car, when it ran. Transmission melted down and I unloaded it.
Should have learned my lesson but decasdes later I bought a 740 as it seemed like a deal at the time.
What a repair sinkhole. I think I got it towed away for nothing.

Never again.

My first car was a Volvo. Looked exactly like this:

Screen+shot+2010-10-15+at+3.41.47+PM.png

-- although that's not me standing by it ... I would never wear a monkey suit.

Wonderful car, when it ran. Transmission melted down and I unloaded it.
Should have learned my lesson but decasdes later I bought a 740 as it seemed like a deal at the time.
What a repair sinkhole. I think I got it towed away for nothing.

Never again.

And yet --- the highest mileage on any car on record is another one just like this, a guy with over three million miles on it. His is red too. Link here.

His is a '66 which he's had since he bought it new. Mine was a '62. Perhaps they improved in four years.

Volvo's seem to be well built cars.

Problem is they are very expensive to repair. Parts and labor are in the BMW / Mercedes Benz price range. ...... :cool:

They're supposed to be. My experiences were quite the opposite though. They used to advertise that they lasted an average of 11 years in Sweden where most of the roads were unpaved.

My roommate in college drove a Volvo - it constantly felt like it would break down but it never did...just kept going. It wasn't much to look at by any stretch of the imagination but it was reliable, I'll give it that.

Forum List

Back