Volunteer Military I.Q. Quiz.

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

WAPO -might need to sign up...
By almost any measure, the military is more top-heavy an institution than it has been for decades. Today, there are 40 four-star generals and admirals -- one more than in 1971, during the Vietnam War, even though the number of active-duty troops has shrunk by almost half.

---

Answer: Money, money, money...

[youtube]WCkOmcIl79s[/youtube]

Question: Why do the top brass love the volunteer military?

The title of this thread does not jive with the linked story. The title is nothing more than an attack on the military and those that serve in it. This thread is bullshit.

If Dante really wanted to discuss the issue of cutting top brass he would not have done it in this manner. In fact one has no idea what he is talking about if they do not click the link.

And for the Terminally stupid, yes the Pentagon should cut the brass.

Back in the 80's the Airforce had Colonels running bases. The Pentagon was ordered to cut Generals that were not needed and so a Bunch of Airforce Generals were on the line. Guess what? The Airforce changed command of Air bases to a General's Post.

By almost any measure, the military is more top-heavy an institution than it has been for decades. Today, there are 40 four-star generals and admirals -- one more than in 1971, during the Vietnam War, even though the number of active-duty troops has shrunk by almost half.

---

You couldn't hack it. And nobody joins the military to get rich.

Look at this guy. Air Combat Command's boss. O-10.
ACC operates more than 1,000 aircraft, 22 wings, 13 bases, and more than 300 operating locations worldwide with 79,000 active-duty and civilian personnel. When mobilized, the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve contribute more than 700 aircraft and 49,000 people to ACC.​
His base pay tops out at $180K, not including allowances and other benefits. Could you get a civilian to run a corporation with 79,000 to 128,000 employees to take the job for that kind of money?

Hint: No.
Because volunteers, generally speaking, outperform conscripts.

The title of this thread does not jive with the linked story. The title is nothing more than an attack on the military and those that serve in it. This thread is bullshit.

If Dante really wanted to discuss the issue of cutting top brass he would not have done it in this manner. In fact one has no idea what he is talking about if they do not click the link.

Back in the 80's the Airforce had Colonels running bases. The Pentagon was ordered to cut Generals that were not needed and so a Bunch of Airforce Generals were on the line. Guess what? The Airforce changed command of Air bases to a General's Post.
You won't find too many generals as base (wing) commanders now. Most squadron commanders are O-5s, group commanders O-6s, and wing commanders O-6s.

Our military is overpaid and over brassed without doubt.
What branch did you serve in?

he was a corpsman in nam, and he's right. like every other american institution, the military is larded with way too many middle management types and paperpushers. before you bother asking, i spent 25 yrs in the naval reserve and retired as an O-4.

The Airforce changed command of Air bases to a General's Post.

When did that happen?

I was at Vandenberg AFB in 2001 and the wing commander was a Col.

I just looked it up, it's still a Col.

Last edited:

Still sucking up to the Perfumed Princes (credit: David H. Hackworth) in the Pentagon?

---

perfumed prince: http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/perfumed_prince/

n. a man who is seen as bureaucratic or careerist; a man who is said to be effete, feminine, ineffectual, vacillating, or cowardly; (hence) a member of the U.S. military leadership (at the Pentagon); top brass. Subjects: English, Military, Politics

Our military is overpaid and over brassed without doubt.
What branch did you serve in?

considering it is o-u-r tax dollars that pay the bills, all Americans have a say in the military.

when assholes like you try and hide behind the flag or military service you lose any argument. you expose yourself as a nitwit.

---

You couldn't hack it. And nobody joins the military to get rich.

Look at this guy. Air Combat Command's boss. O-10.
ACC operates more than 1,000 aircraft, 22 wings, 13 bases, and more than 300 operating locations worldwide with 79,000 active-duty and civilian personnel. When mobilized, the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve contribute more than 700 aircraft and 49,000 people to ACC.​
His base pay tops out at $180K, not including allowances and other benefits. Could you get a civilian to run a corporation with 79,000 to 128,000 employees to take the job for that kind of money?

Hint: No.
Because volunteers, generally speaking, outperform conscripts.

hack it?

:lol:

yeah, that's why I was begged to stay. :lol:

Forum List

Back