volcanic activity detected........in Antarctica?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
news link

Software on a NASA spacecraft recently made a scientific observation on its own without human interaction. The Space Technology 6 Autonomous Sciencecraft Experiment captured images of Antarctica's Mount Erebus and detected volcanic activity.

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
well, at least we can stop hearing about the so-called global warming embellishment. It was probably this thing the whole time, if it is true.

well, that wouldn't explain the northern polar regions though.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
well, that wouldn't explain the northern polar regions though.

Why not? Wouldn't it be a logical assumption that if there could be acticity in the south there could also be in the north?

Originally posted by HGROKIT
Why not? Wouldn't it be a logical assumption that if there could be acticity in the south there could also be in the north?

there is, the ring of fire near alaska as well as Iceland, but these two occurrences have been in existence for decades.

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
well, at least we can stop hearing about the so-called global warming embellishment. It was probably this thing the whole time, if it is true.

I think its arrogant to assume that humans have destroyed an ozone that has existed for hundreds of millions of years in less than a millenia. The Earth changes on its own terms.

Originally posted by insein
I think its arrogant to assume that humans have destroyed an ozone that has existed for hundreds of millions of years in less than a millenia. The Earth changes on its own terms.

i totally agree. The earth went through several phases, and there is no proof that the phase we are in is permanent. Can any of you liberals tell me why if global warming is such a problem, why we can't seem to get past 70F here in MN? Last summer, and in all of my years (except 1) we have averages of 80-90 by now. It is almost f-ing July and until today, nothing past 65, other than a few random days.

****i got this from a local site****
http://www.climate.umn.edu/doc/journal/cool0406.htm

Minnesota has often been positioned on the cold side of stationary fronts over the past two months. The preponderance of stationary fronts dissecting Minnesota explains the very wet regime. The exception to this has been in north central and parts of northeast Minnesota, where precipitation has been at or below normal.

Another feature of this weather pattern is the persistent coolness. The magnitude of the cool weather is much larger across the northern third of Minnesota. For instance, in International Falls the warmest temperature as of June 20 has been 82 degrees. The number of days below normal there for May through June 20 was 43 out of 51 days. May was the third coldest on record and as of June 20 International Falls is running 3.3 degrees below normal. If the cool pattern continues for the rest of June, the May plus June average temperature would equal 51.4 degrees (tying 1947 and 1969 for the coldest May through June average in the 70 years of available International Falls data.

Over southern Minnesota including the Twin Cities, the cold hasn't been as intense. May in the Twin Cities finished 2.7 degrees below normal and June so far is about a degree and a half below normal. One striking feature is the lack of days reaching 80 degrees or above. From April 1 through June 20 there should be on average 16 days of 80 degrees or higher in the Twin Cities. So far there are only 9. However, the mercury reached 90 degrees or higher in the Twin Cities through June 20. Last year through the end of June there wasn't a single day of 90 or above. There were 14 days of 90 or above in July through September last year so warm weather fans take heart. There is still plenty of summer left for a good old-fashioned heat wave.

weather patterns won't be 100% affected. Just the wildly offshoot ones. Here in texas, the month of June is usually one of the driest. not this year, we've suffered more rain this month than I believe we did all of last year.

Seriously though, global warming was going to happen, its the natural pattern of cycles the earth goes through. We didn't help it any by speeding it up with pollution and junk, but we certainly can't destroy it.

The earth is more than capable of taking care of itself, it may have to destroy us to do it, but it will take care of itself.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
weather patterns won't be 100% affected. Just the wildly offshoot ones. Here in texas, the month of June is usually one of the driest. not this year, we've suffered more rain this month than I believe we did all of last year.

Cycles- FYI and NOT to be argumentative here; when I got out of the A.F. and moved to Texas (Sherman) 14 years ago, it was June. We had one of the wetest and most violent in terms of thunderstorms that the locals tell me there ever was.

Originally posted by HGROKIT
Cycles- FYI and NOT to be argumentative here; when I got out of the A.F. and moved to Texas (Sherman) 14 years ago, it was June. We had one of the wetest and most violent in terms of thunderstorms that the locals tell me there ever was.

just like this one i'm guessing: six flags flooded out

something like that. Hail tore the roof off the house I was living in; all the cars in the car lots were pretty much destroyed, Lake Texhoma rose to all time levels and on and on.

Forum List

Back