Voices from around the World

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Again, as one of those who did not vote for President-elect Obama and seeing the many people that were inspired by his message it made me think of the talk about how the United States is percieved in the world. While it has been a much talked about subject, and often times many people come to the conslusion that the stature of the United States has been somewhat diminished as if late, I thought you might enjoy this.

"American elections have shaken me to the core. I have always thought the Chinese political system is the best in the world, but it is not so. We are deprived of our sacred rights, rule of law and human rights are trampled upon. To have a democratic system like the one in the USA is more difficult than touching the sky... But we long to achieve freedom and democracy, which is a difficult task for us young people in China." (Anonymous)

"American democracy changes all the time. The role of this new America in the Third World will be more humane and more ethical." (Adel, Yemen)

"If tomorrow we were electing the president of planet Earth, I would choose Obama." (Andrei Sidorenko, Vladivostok, Russia)

In Afghanistan, the U.S. Embassy invited scores of Afghans to watch the U.S. election results at a party at Kabul's Serena Hotel — where a well-planned Taliban bombing and gun attack in January grabbed world headlines. Organizers even set up an unofficial polling station for Afghan visitors to cast ballots. The result: 74-3 for Obama.

"Your victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place. We applaud your commitment to supporting the cause of peace and security around the world. We trust that you will also make it the mission of your presidency to combat the scourge of poverty and disease everywhere."
Nelson Mandela

Elation, Skepticism As World Reacts To Obama Win : NPR

Now what this says to me, in loud words is that the world is willing to give this man a chance and his ability to inspire those here has reached ears and eyes all over the world, so then as out next President perhaps we should do the same.

The possibilities are endless.

The question is will Obama and the democrats meet the expectations.

As long as Obama calls 'bullshit' equally on both sides of the aisle he'll go a long way toward meeting our expectations... there is a lot of partisanship and favoritism among the democrats that needs to be flushed also.

-Joe

I will not be so anti-obama as long as he fights pelosi and reid on key issues and doesnt become a rubber stamp for them because right now they think they rule this land

Again, as one of those who did not vote for President-elect Obama and seeing the many people that were inspired by his message it made me think of the talk about how the United States is percieved in the world. While it has been a much talked about subject, and often times many people come to the conslusion that the stature of the United States has been somewhat diminished as if late, I thought you might enjoy this.

"American elections have shaken me to the core. I have always thought the Chinese political system is the best in the world, but it is not so. We are deprived of our sacred rights, rule of law and human rights are trampled upon. To have a democratic system like the one in the USA is more difficult than touching the sky... But we long to achieve freedom and democracy, which is a difficult task for us young people in China." (Anonymous)

"American democracy changes all the time. The role of this new America in the Third World will be more humane and more ethical." (Adel, Yemen)

"If tomorrow we were electing the president of planet Earth, I would choose Obama." (Andrei Sidorenko, Vladivostok, Russia)

In Afghanistan, the U.S. Embassy invited scores of Afghans to watch the U.S. election results at a party at Kabul's Serena Hotel — where a well-planned Taliban bombing and gun attack in January grabbed world headlines. Organizers even set up an unofficial polling station for Afghan visitors to cast ballots. The result: 74-3 for Obama.

"Your victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place. We applaud your commitment to supporting the cause of peace and security around the world. We trust that you will also make it the mission of your presidency to combat the scourge of poverty and disease everywhere."
Nelson Mandela

Elation, Skepticism As World Reacts To Obama Win : NPR

Now what this says to me, in loud words is that the world is willing to give this man a chance and his ability to inspire those here has reached ears and eyes all over the world, so then as out next President perhaps we should do the same.

Perfectly said, I've been screaming this being his biggest asset for months, but you put it much more eloquently than I :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

IMHO his campaign BaC has set the bar very high, and that will depend on who's expectations we are talking about. Further, it depends on how realistic those expectations are. Let me give you an example, the Middle Class tax cuts, from a realistic perspective, in any form will not go into effect until the current tax cuts which are law are allowed to expire. The one thing that concerns me about any government that is so overwhelmingly dominated by one party is that the voices of those that did not vote for this new representation are lost. I have never been in favor of any party dominating all aspects of government. There are many possibilities ahead, and I remain hopeful that perhaps once and for all the word civility might be once again part of the great debate and ideas from all sides can be heard to bring solutions that really have meaning. For too long now, one party or the other in partisan hatred has closed their ears to what could be good solutions for everyone. Here is something else to consider too, that hopefully will finally discussed. The solutions that work in California, while great for California may not be the best solutions for Arizona. So perhaps the voices from the states that have been too long IMHO left out of the great debate might finally be heard. I will remain hopeful, like I always have with any new President.

A few lines from a BBC report that I found strikings.

Last summer a poll for the BBC World Service, conducted in 22 countries, indicated that people preferred Barack Obama to John McCain by four to one. Almost half said that if Senator Obama were elected, it would change their view of the United States completely.

I understand that at this point the change is just cosmetic, but the importance of cosmetic change is sometimes too quickly dismissed. It's a bit like a job interview. If you go in well-dressed in suit and tie, you make an immediate impression that is important. It must then be followed up with substance. However, if you go in and your appearance makes a poor impression, then any substance you may present may not be heard, and at the least will be less effective. I think this can be analagous to the President as our face to the world.

As an African-American (literally, since his father was from Kenya) his background is not one of privilege and superiority. He will be open to the world in a way President Bush never was. And he will show once again the value of the American dream.

I find that last line fills me with a lot of pride. It may seem cliche and old hat at first glance, but the fact that this is a comment from a BBC article makes it special. To hear someone who is not an American citizen speak in hopeful tones about the American dream, to know it can once again inspire rather than be crushed by the weight of cynicism makes me optimistic and proud.

As long as Obama calls 'bullshit' equally on both sides of the aisle he'll go a long way toward meeting our expectations... there is a lot of partisanship and favoritism among the democrats that needs to be flushed also.

-Joe

I agree .. but cumbaya politics won't make him successful.

Democrats are often long on talk, short on accomplishments. Both he and congress will hav to figure out the accomplishment thing.

If he goes cowboy and starts murdering innocent people in Pakistan looking for ghosts, the honeymoon with the rest of the world will be short-lived.

The problem for him is murdering innocent people is exactly what the puppetmasters want him to do. They've got a pipeline in Afghanistan they want him to protect and wnat him to use the US military as some sort of stylized security guard super rent-a-cops to protect it.

If Bryzenski, his brain on foreign policy, convinces him to keep pushing the Russians and put ABM's in their backyard, his honeymoon will be short.

If he doesn't truly seek balance in the middle east and simply continues the same US policy of Israel first and only, the honeymoon will be over .. back to square Bush.

I've always been proud of my country. This election didn't change that.

I've always been proud of my country. This election didn't change that.

One can be proud of one's country without being constantly proud of every decision and direction. It's a bit like children. You may love your children and have a sense of pride in them as your children, but that doesn't mean you approve of and have pride in every choice they make in life.

One can be proud of one's country without being constantly proud of every decision and direction. It's a bit like children. You may love your children and have a sense of pride in them as your children, but that doesn't mean you approve of and have pride in every choice they make in life.

come talk to me when you find me in the ditch waving an "I'm sorry" sign.

IMHO his campaign BaC has set the bar very high, and that will depend on who's expectations we are talking about. Further, it depends on how realistic those expectations are. Let me give you an example, the Middle Class tax cuts, from a realistic perspective, in any form will not go into effect until the current tax cuts which are law are allowed to expire. The one thing that concerns me about any government that is so overwhelmingly dominated by one party is that the voices of those that did not vote for this new representation are lost. I have never been in favor of any party dominating all aspects of government. There are many possibilities ahead, and I remain hopeful that perhaps once and for all the word civility might be once again part of the great debate and ideas from all sides can be heard to bring solutions that really have meaning. For too long now, one party or the other in partisan hatred has closed their ears to what could be good solutions for everyone. Here is something else to consider too, that hopefully will finally discussed. The solutions that work in California, while great for California may not be the best solutions for Arizona. So perhaps the voices from the states that have been too long IMHO left out of the great debate might finally be heard. I will remain hopeful, like I always have with any new President.

As you're aware, I also don't favor one party rule and don't believe democrats are any better at it than republicans. Obama may be different and work hard to avoid partisanship as much as possible .. but those who elected him expect some degree of partisanship for their votes. What he'll have to find is balance.

But I don't believe bipartisanship is all that beneficial to the American people if both parties are dancing to the same drummer .. and both parties indeed are. There was bipartisanship on the bailout .. how did that benefit Americans? I don't necessarily believe in what I call "cumbaya" politics .. which is often nothing more than finding the easy way out. Some issues require rancor and standing firm on a position, and if it requires battles to effectively deal with it, then everybody draw swords.

Healthcare can't look for the easy way out, nor can the issues of war or justice in America. Centrists look for the easy .. that's why democrats have been so ineffective over the Bush years. My concern is that Obama is just another centrist looking for the easy. I hope I'm wrong .. but I've studied his history. He's a very calculated man .. perhaps to a fault.

We'll see .. but for now, I'm giving him and the democrats the benefit of doubt. They've earned their chance to pass or fail.

Democrats are often long on talk, short on accomplishments. Both he and congress will hav to figure out the accomplishment thing.

If he goes cowboy and starts murdering innocent people in Pakistan looking for ghosts, the honeymoon with the rest of the world will be short-lived.

The problem for him is murdering innocent people is exactly what the puppetmasters want him to do. They've got a pipeline in Afghanistan they want him to protect and wnat him to use the US military as some sort of stylized security guard super rent-a-cops to protect it.

If Bryzenski, his brain on foreign policy, convinces him to keep pushing the Russians and put ABM's in their backyard, his honeymoon will be short.

If he doesn't truly seek balance in the middle east and simply continues the same US policy of Israel first and only, the honeymoon will be over .. back to square Bush.

I think you are absolutely right. In addition I think that he won't live up to every promist he made during his campaign. But what politician EVER has? I think, being that he will be operating under such scrutiny, he will either be very cautious so as not to hurt the progress he's made in simply being the first black man and minority in the Oval Office, or he will try to be very effective to try and live up to the expectations he's raised during his campaign. Either way, he will be walking a tight rope.

I think the first thing he has to do is get his hands on the $700 billion the Bush administration is dolling out without real oversight and try to influence the uses of that $700 billion debacle.

I'm afriad I will have to disagree with you on the Missile Interceptors in Poland and former Soviet Bloc countries. In fact the Russians have indicated a willingness to place short and IRBM's along it's border's with Aim points to Europe unless the United States withdraws these Interceptors. IMHO this will be one of President-Elect Obama's really big tests and a very early one. If for example he backs down on the construction of these, then he sends a message to Russia that the United States can forced into withdrawl on the threat of arms. These interceptors are not strike weapons, they are defense weapons and Russia is using this as way to increase it's influence in the region and keep open it's channels of Natural Gas with Iran as the stated intent of the Interceptors is to defend against rogue states. In fact the United States has even asked Russia to be a part of this defensive shield and they declined. So what is their motive against a defensive weapons systems that is built to protect civilians? Hopefully some sort of compromise can be reached here and not some unilateral withdrawl.

Yes I agree, the democratic party really dropped that ball by politicizing the troops budget for example.....but I think that if there is anyone today that can grab the attention of the politicians, it is Obama. If there is anyone who can get leaders behind him, he is the guy because he clearly has the people of the nation behind him. We just have to see what he will do to reach accross the eisle and bring together those who voted for him and those who did not.

On a side note, what must if feel like to be those 10% of blacks who did not vote for Obama. I mean it must be crushing. Now you have to tell your children that you did not vote for what might be the most iconic hero of the African American population for generations to come. We will find out obviously what he does in office but we know already right now that he will be in the history books and will be looked upon as a hero to the African American community because he really is, and its not just the sadness of having to explain to your kids that you did not vote for thier hero.....its the sadness of having to explain to your kids that the man who's father came from a poor family in Kenya, made it to the highest office in the land....was not a story that was insperational enough for you to vote for him. You can vote for whoever you want, but your children and their children are going to want an explanation. Trust me.

Its kinda like those who voted against Abraham Lincoln, whos campaign was built on freeing the slaves. Imagine explaining for generations to come that an iconic figure like that, was not your choice for president.

Last edited:
As you're aware, I also don't favor one party rule and don't believe democrats are any better at it than republicans. Obama may be different and work hard to avoid partisanship as much as possible .. but those who elected him expect some degree of partisanship for their votes. What he'll have to find is balance.

But I don't believe bipartisanship is all that beneficial to the American people if both parties are dancing to the same drummer .. and both parties indeed are. There was bipartisanship on the bailout .. how did that benefit Americans? I don't necessarily believe in what I call "cumbaya" politics .. which is often nothing more than finding the easy way out. Some issues require rancor and standing firm on a position, and if it requires battles to effectively deal with it, then everybody draw swords.

Healthcare can't look for the easy way out, nor can the issues of war or justice in America. Centrists look for the easy .. that's why democrats have been so ineffective over the Bush years. My concern is that Obama is just another centrist looking for the easy. I hope I'm wrong .. but I've studied his history. He's a very calculated man .. perhaps to a fault.

We'll see .. but for now, I'm giving him and the democrats the benefit of doubt. They've earned their chance to pass or fail.

I will simply put it this way, that sometimes and more often than not in Congress rancor and hatred tend overshadow logic when it comes to the passage of good legislation and in some cases results in bad legislation. Respectfully, My point is what when civility and logic are brought back into the debate , then the ability to construct legislation that better resembles the wishes for everyone and that includes all Americans, from New York to Texas will be the result.

I think you are absolutely right. In addition I think that he won't live up to every promist he made during his campaign. But what politician EVER has? I think, being that he will be operating under such scrutiny, he will either be very cautious so as not to hurt the progress he's made in simply being the first black man and minority in the Oval Office, or he will try to be very effective to try and live up to the expectations he's raised during his campaign. Either way, he will be walking a tight rope.

I think the first thing he has to do is get his hands on the $700 billion the Bush administration is dolling out without real oversight and try to influence the uses of that $700 billion debacle.

I agree with you .. but he'll also be constrained by an unseen element that I've felt all my life. As overly simplistic and obvious as it sounds .. he's black. His every decision, every move will be tempered by the fact that he's black and he has to judge how he will be seen as a black man.

Can he make Eric Holder the AG .. maybe not, because he's black too and questions of tribalism will arise. Exactly how many blacks can he put in his administration without raising fears of tribalism?

How much can he say and do about Africa?

How much can he do for the African-American community.

Can he be seen publicly eating chicken? .. Sounds stupid doesn't it .. but it's real.

I've lived with that unseen element/weight/encumberance everyday of my life .. in fact, we teach it to our children. I live with it even on this site since I've identified myself as black. I lived with it everyday in the corporate world .. which was my inspiration to create my own business so I can use when and how I choose to use it.

A bit off-topic but one of my best inspirations was JayJay on Good Times. I was determined that the world would not see me as that motherfucker. I think all inner city kids should be forced to watch reruns of Good Times.

I will simply put it this way, that sometimes and more often than not in Congress rancor and hatred tend overshadow logic when it comes to the passage of good legislation and in some cases results in bad legislation. Respectfully, My point is what when civility and logic are brought back into the debate , then the ability to construct legislation that better resembles the wishes for everyone and that includes all Americans, from New York to Texas will be the result.

I don't disgaree with you at all brother. Your point is well taken.

I believe that sometimes a line in the sand must be drawn and I'm not sure OBama has lines in the sand in his calculated plans.

I agree with you .. but he'll also be constrained by an unseen element that I've felt all my life. As overly simplistic and obvious as it sounds .. he's black. His every decision, every move will be tempered by the fact that he's black and he has to judge how he will be seen as a black man.

Can he make Eric Holder the AG .. maybe not, because he's black too and questions of tribalism will arise. Exactly how many blacks can he put in his administration without raising fears of tribalism?

How much can he say and do about Africa?

How much can he do for the African-American community.

Can he be seen publicly eating chicken? .. Sounds stupid doesn't it .. but it's real.

I've lived with that unseen element/weight/encumberance everyday of my life .. in fact, we teach it to our children. I live with it even on this site since I've identified myself as black. I lived with it everyday in the corporate world .. which was my inspiration to create my own business so I can use when and how I choose to use it.

A bit off-topic but one of my best inspirations was JayJay on Good Times. I was determined that the world would not see me as that motherfucker. I think all inner city kids should be forced to watch reruns of Good Times.

Which is what I meant when I spoke of scrutiny and of his being cautious simply because of what it means that he was elected at all.

Forum List

Back