visiting Italy

The ClayTaurus said:
Don't mind me, I'm just stereotyping people.

Well, it's understandable, since you have been a victim of stereotyping yourself. :D

Wearing%20baseball%20hat%20backwards.jpg

Trigg said:
I'm going to Italy next week, flying into Rome.

Has anyone been there and do you have any suggestions on what to avoid or what I shouldn't miss while I'm there??????

I'm leaving the kiddies home with the husband and going with friends. :cheers2:
i have never been there but my aunt has a few years ago. i asked her about it, and she said you'll have a great time no matter where you go. Make sure to visit all the major landmarks, but take notice to the little hole-in-the-wall shops and cafes. They make for a real Italian experience.

the one thing though, is if you and your friends are even semi-decent looking, watch your ass---literally. The older men there like to play grab-ass with cute women they don't know. the locals are used to it, but us Americans... :shocked:

and carry a travel size roll of toilet paper, as you sometimes have to PAY for your paper in some public restrooms at popular tourist spots.

Abbey Normal said:
I'm jealous, Trigg!

Have a great time, and stay safe. And if you find one of these, get him to join the board. ;)

italian-man.jpg

yummy!!!

I"ll keep my eyes open for ya.

fuzzykitten99 said:
i have never been there but my aunt has a few years ago. i asked her about it, and she said you'll have a great time no matter where you go. Make sure to visit all the major landmarks, but take notice to the little hole-in-the-wall shops and cafes. They make for a real Italian experience.

the one thing though, is if you and your friends are even semi-decent looking, watch your ass---literally. The older men there like to play grab-ass with cute women they don't know. the locals are used to it, but us Americans... :shocked:

and carry a travel size roll of toilet paper, as you sometimes have to PAY for your paper in some public restrooms at popular tourist spots.

We've signed up for one guided tour in Rome and one in Florence (if we can figure out how to get there from Rome on public transport). Other than that we're going it alone. My friend is out-going so we'll try out the local spots for sure. I'm not worried about finding english speakers in the cities and I doubt if we get into the country much since we're not staying that long only a week.

Thanks for the warning on the men, that would have been a shocker :eek2:

I ran into having to pay to get into toilets in Sweden but the paper was free, since that's something I don't want to find myself without I'll make a note to pick some up. Thanks!!

:thewave: only 6 more days till I leave!!!

Trigg said:
We've signed up for one guided tour in Rome and one in Florence (if we can figure out how to get there from Rome on public transport). Other than that we're going it alone. My friend is out-going so we'll try out the local spots for sure. I'm not worried about finding english speakers in the cities and I doubt if we get into the country much since we're not staying that long only a week.

Thanks for the warning on the men, that would have been a shocker :eek2:

I ran into having to pay to get into toilets in Sweden but the paper was free, since that's something I don't want to find myself without I'll make a note to pick some up. Thanks!!

:thewave: only 6 more days till I leave!!!

sounds like lots of fun, i wish i was going!

my aunt was surprised about the ass-grabbers too. she couldn't figure it out until someone else who was there, and who had been there before, told her that it is just what they do there...kind of like their version of shaking hands. I guess it is supposed to be a sort of compliment (like the cat-calls/whistles guys use here), but where they get that idea...?

I have seen Charmin travel rolls which are good for maybe 3-4 'visits', depending on the amount you use each time. They are like $1 each, depending where you get them. I have seen them mostly at walmart.

fuzzykitten99 said:
sounds like lots of fun, i wish i was going!

my aunt was surprised about the ass-grabbers too. she couldn't figure it out until someone else who was there, and who had been there before, told her that it is just what they do there...kind of like their version of shaking hands. I guess it is supposed to be a sort of compliment (like the cat-calls/whistles guys use here), but where they get that idea...?

I have seen Charmin travel rolls which are good for maybe 3-4 'visits', depending on the amount you use each time. They are like $1 each, depending where you get them. I have seen them mostly at walmart.

My sister ran into some of those grabbers down in the Dominican, she also got some eye-opening comments from a few. Latin men arn't shy.

I'm back!!!! Never thought I'd make it though since my plane was late leaving and I missed my connection. Loooooong night!

We were able to visit Florence, but only for the day. That is an amazingly beautiful city I wish we could have stayed longer.

Rome was great the only thing that took some getting used to was the traffic and complete lack of traffic rules, at least as far as I could see. Those scooters were all over the place where ever a space opened up, even the sidewalk a couple of times.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever had my rear checked out so obviously in my life. One time we walked past a group of men and they stopped their conversation to check us out. By the end I was thinking, geez take a picture it lasts longer.

My kids survived the week with my husband. Although they did tell on him, for taking them out to dinner most of the time and not cooking. He took them camping so they had a good week off also. He's a great husband :kiss2:

New Topics

Forum List

Back