Visit The Washington Monument While You Still Can

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
But people like FDR and Woodrow Wilson are still worshipped.

The “First Lady of American Cinema” Lillian Gish has had her name removed from a university theater and it’s not sitting well with many movie buffs. More than 50 film industry leaders ranging from Martin Scorsese to Helen Mirren to James Earl Jones are protesting the decision of Ohio’s Bowling Green State University to remove the name of actress Lillian Gish from a campus theater because she appeared in the 1915 film The Birth of a Nation.

The letter accuses the university of making “a scapegoat in a broader political debate.” Lillian Gish is considered a pioneer of film acting. Her career spanned 75 years, beginning in 1912 in silent film shorts. The Whales of August in 1987 was her last film. She was called the First Lady of American Cinema, and for more than 40 years, the theater at Bowling Green has honored Ohio-born actresses Dorothy and Lillian Gish with its name.

Outrage as University Strips Name of Lillian Gish from Campus Theater

Bowling Green is a hoppin' place, for sure.

4e1.jpg

I just couldn't leave that one laying on the floor. But that said,

More screechers who apparently never read or watched the books/movies they are attempting to black list.

Lillian Gish's character Elsie Stoneman was a northerner in the film, a "radical abolitionist." And lest we forget, it was a CHARACTER she was paid to portray. Even actresses have to pay rent. Yes, the film was UGLY and it has been objected to since the day it premiered in 1915. I'm not defending the movie, but I am defending Lillian Gish being able to keep her honor and reputation, at least as far as her acting in one movie goes. This is absolutely insane.

In this half of the film, the northern Stoneman family become radical abolitionists hellbent on putting the noble south under the boot heels of the vengeful black armies flexing their new power after the abolition of slavery.
THE BIRTH OF A NATION: Racist Lies of 1915 Shed Light on Racist Lies of 2018

This crap is getting old
The Left and the Taliban are identical.

Wow..That remark didn't make you sound bat shit crazy at all. Trust me.
Maybe, but do you agree with all this re-writing of history and art?

I didn't really care about Lillian Gish yesterday, and so far I haven't see any reason to start being concerned about her today. Exactly what part of history or art do you think has been rewritten?

Is it in the water or maybe it’s the new weed...
iI hear it’s not the weed of yesteryear.

In 1915 we were a racist country
Birth of a Nation was entertainment for the masses

BGSU graduate here. Lillian Gish was way before my time, perhaps this allows the honor to be passed to BGSU graduate Tim Conway? Regardless, their new football coach had best find a way to beat our nearby rival Toledo.

BGSU graduate here. Lillian Gish was way before my time, perhaps this allows the honor to be passed to BGSU graduate Tim Conway? Regardless, their new football coach had best find a way to beat our nearby rival Toledo.

Went to U at Buffalo another MAC rival

Lillian Gish was in Night of the Hunter in 1955, classic horror flick

Tim would be a good choice, considering he is still well known, if they were to rename it.

But I personally feel they are nitpicking about her appearing in that movie to remove her name.

Tim would be a good choice, considering he is still well known, if they were to rename it.

But I personally feel they are nitpicking about her appearing in that movie to remove her name.

It was the biggest film of its day, an event to go see it
Turning it down would be like turning down Star Wars

of its day

yes

far different world in those days.

What next?

Banning Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn books/movies because of the descriptions of Jim?

Those idiots need to attack REAL racists.

not actors/actresses for appearing in a century old movie.

of its day

yes

far different world in those days.

What next?

Banning Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn books/movies because of the descriptions of Jim?

Those idiots need to attack REAL racists.

not actors/actresses for appearing in a century old movie.
1915 was one of the most racist periods in our history

Forum List

Back