Virus Alert

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
This rather old virus has apparently resurfaced, and I almost got sucked in yesterday afternoon. I was searching for an animated turkey, and although I can't remember which link I was perusing, I got two RED ALERTS popups, complete with Windows logo, instructing me to download NOW the Windows anti-virus program because my system had been infected with Malware.

Since I already have virus/worm detectors, firewall, etc., in my Fair Point Security Package, I thought this was suspicious, since in the past I have had Fair Point pop up with an alert that they had placed a suspicious site in quarantine. So it was doing its job.

I didn't open the [bogus] Windows alert, but logged off and ran a complete virus scan on Fair Point, which took about 3 hours. No viruses reported (except for the 5 they had quarantined).

Anyway, the alert appears as a startling popup, only when in that link of animations, so if anyone is still looking for something cute to post for Thanksgiving, try just typing the words. Who knows what else lurks out there.

This is probably posted in the wrong place, so I'll leave it to the mods to move it wherever it belongs. But in case people aren't aware already, I thought I'd pass it on.

This is the old virus warning issued by Microsoft, which is the same as the one that tried to hit me yesterday:

02/10/2009 - Microsft Anti-Virus Alert - BE AWARE !

There are numerous fake versions of the new Microsoft anti-virus software circulating internet download sites. These masquerading imitations are in fact malware that deliver a viral payload to your computer when installed. The fake versions, on first impressions, appear to be genuine and install the same as the real thing.

Only download Microsoft Security Essentials from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

In before KK! :D

Just kidding. Good move MM. These "you've got a worm/virus/trojan/whatever - you need to buy our software to get rid of it" are thorough bastards. They are the only reason I'd consider supporting the bastards being hung up by their nuts until the crows pick them to pieces. Just as an aside, we could sell mp3s of them screaming.

Okay, I went too far that time.

In before KK! :D

Just kidding. Good move MM. These "you've got a worm/virus/trojan/whatever - you need to buy our software to get rid of it" are thorough bastards. They are the only reason I'd consider supporting the bastards being hung up by their nuts until the crows pick them to pieces. Just as an aside, we could sell mp3s of them screaming.

Okay, I went too far that time.

I rather like the idea, actually. I never could figure out what's in it for them. How do they KNOW who got destroyed as a result of their vicious actions? Maybe even close friends. Is creating malware just one of those things that people do just because they can?

Forum List

Back