Virtual reality, drones and 3-D printing drive terrorist innovation

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
This is precisely why it is imperative that we strengthen and maintain our fighting capabilities and intelligence sources. We are not engaged in conventional warfare. The battlefields are generally not defined until the terrorists initiate a strike.

Virtual reality, drones and 3-D printing drive terrorist innovation

Marines and soldiers will have to fight terrorist organizations in the near future who have used virtual reality to practice attacks, have low-cost sensors to monitor the battlefield and possess the ability to create and modify weapons with 3-D printing from distant locations, disseminating those innovations anywhere instantly.

the ability to create and modify weapons with 3-D printing from distant locations, disseminating those innovations anywhere instantly.

You really don't understand how 3D printing works. It is hands down the worst technology on the planet for making firearms.

An AK, STEN gun, or RPG can be made from scrap metal in a village workshop (and they frequently are)

403479_4.jpg

And the resulting weapons are actually battle-ready as opposed to a plastic gun that is more likely to blow up in your hands than kill an enemy.

This bed-wetting over 3D printing and terrorism is over the top silly.

Last edited:
the ability to create and modify weapons with 3-D printing from distant locations, disseminating those innovations anywhere instantly.

You really don't understand how 3D printing works. It is hands down the worst technology on the planet for making firearms.

An AK, STEN gun, or RPG can be made from scrap metal in a village workshop (and they frequently are)

403479_4.jpg

And the resulting weapons are actually battle-ready as opposed to a plastic gun that is more likely to blow up in your hands than kill an enemy.

I understand fully how it works. You certainly do not understand that it is not limited to plastics.

List of 3D printed weapons and parts - Wikipedia

403479_4.jpg

I understand fully how it works. You certainly do not understand that it is not limited to plastics.

3D Printers readily available to the public cannot produce structural metal parts. They can produce plastic parts with metal powder and plastic mix that RESEMBLE metal parts, but have the structural integrity of plastic.

There are prototype full metal printers in development stages that cost well above $120,000 and require large curing ovens that use gas and microwave to set the metal alloy powder.

That technology is never going to be as widely available as FDM 3D Printing, which is very simple technology using cheap stepper motors, controller cards, and simple heat extruders (as well as widely available free software). My largest printer was made for under $400 with parts ordered directly from Chinese suppliers --- 40 x 40 x 40cm build platform.

Your extensive list of 3D weapons is mostly non-structural parts, magazines, suppresors, and other components. All the actual 'guns' listed failed quite quickly in actual use. Any one of those parts could be made cheaper and faster by a semi-skilled worker in a village blacksmith shop.

If you believe there's a lab out there where terrorist are pumping out hundreds of cheap, undetectable, plastic weapons by the dozens each day, you're dreaming of something that will never come about.

403479_4.jpg

3D Printers readily available to the public cannot produce structural metal parts. They can produce plastic parts with metal powder and plastic mix that RESEMBLE metal parts, but have the structural integrity of plastic.

There are prototype full metal printers in development stages that cost well above $120,000 and require large curing ovens that use gas and microwave to set the metal alloy powder.

That technology is never going to be as widely available as FDM 3D Printing, which is very simple technology using cheap stepper motors, controller cards, and simple heat extruders (as well as widely available free software). My largest printer was made for under $400 with parts ordered directly from Chinese suppliers --- 40 x 40 x 40cm build platform.

Your extensive list of 3D weapons is mostly non-structural parts, magazines, suppresors, and other components. All the actual 'guns' listed failed quite quickly in actual use. Any one of those parts could be made cheaper and faster by a semi-skilled worker in a village blacksmith shop.

If you believe there's a lab out there where terrorist are pumping out hundreds of cheap, undetectable, plastic weapons by the dozens each day, you're dreaming of something that will never come about.
The sophisticated, state of the art 3D metal printers cost upwards of $500,000 to $1,000,000 each. So what? Obama gave BILLIONS of dollars to Iran. They can easily afford these things.

403479_4.jpg

The sophisticated, state of the art 3D metal printers cost upwards of $500,000 to $1,000,000 each. So what? Obama gave BILLIONS of dollars to Iran. They can easily afford these things.

And they do frak all to help terrorists. 3D printers speed up the prototype phase are much slower than any commonly used production methods.

There is literally nothing that can be made with a 3D printer that can't be made cheaper and faster in quantity with traditional manufacturing methods.

403479_4.jpg

And they do frak all to help terrorists. 3D printers speed up the prototype phase are much slower than any commonly used production methods.

There is literally nothing that can be made with a 3D printer that can't be made cheaper and faster in quantity with traditional manufacturing methods.
Crucial information regarding a unique 3D-printed part can be transmitted by email to any place on earth in just a few seconds. Even a person that knows absolutely nothing about making a part by hand can be given the wherewithal to make the part by pushing some buttons.

Even a person that knows absolutely nothing about making a part by hand can be given the wherewithal to make the part by pushing some buttons.

Not true. You have to understand the machine to use it. The file is only a cad drawing ... it has to be sliced into G-code specific to each printer. You have to set speed of print, density, layer temp. and generate support material for each part. You have to know what you're doing.

I've made parts from hand for years and there was still a steep learning curve when I switched to 3D printing.

Even a person that knows absolutely nothing about making a part by hand can be given the wherewithal to make the part by pushing some buttons.

Not true. You have to understand the machine to use it. The file is only a cad drawing ... it has to be sliced into G-code specific to each printer. You have to set speed of print, density, layer temp. and generate support material for each part. You have to know what you're doing.

I've made parts from hand for years and there was still a steep learning curve when I switched to 3D printing.
Oh, I'm so sorry. I mistakenly assumed the recipient would have sense enough to read instructions. My bad. I guess you associate with dumb asses on a regular basis. It doesn't take much training to operate a fucking computer.

The level of sophistication within the terrorist organizations is relatively high compared to yours.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I mistakenly assumed the recipient would have sense enough to read instructions. My bad. I guess you associate with dumb asses on a regular basis. It doesn't take much training to operate a fucking computer.

The level of sophistication within the terrorist organizations is relatively high compared to yours.

I didn't think it would take this long before you started calling me stupid for pointing out you don't know what you're talking about. If you imagine that anyone can 'push a button' and fully functional AK or a RPG comes out the other end of a machine then you should rightly be terrified. But, it's not terrorist about which you should be terrified.

All this technology and we can't deal with the single rogue country in the world and about fifty U.S. sailors are killed in collisions with merchant ships. Something ain't right.

Forum List

Back