Virginia!

Woodlawn Plantation on Rt 1 in Alexandria, just south of Ft Belvoir is also home to the Pope-Leighey House, a Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian house that was saved from being demolished when they were putting in I66.

Woodlawn Plantation on Rt 1 in Alexandria, just south of Ft Belvoir is also home to the Pope-Leighey House, a Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian house that was saved from being demolished when they were putting in I66.
So, it had to be moved to its current location, no?

Also a Virginian (by choice) here. Northern Virginia, though, which is practically a different state than the rest of the Commonwealth.

I hope I don't turn this thread into a stormfrontfest, but I've always wondered why, after haveing been freed, so many African Americans remained in VA?

:confused:

Then again, I also blush whenever anyone says, "Norfolk."

:redface:

I hope I don't turn this thread into a stormfrontfest, but I've always wondered why, after haveing been freed, so many African Americans remained in VA?

Norfolk High cheer squad:

"We don't smoke!
We don't drink!
Nor-folk! Nor-folk!"

They're good girls, ya know.

Norfolk High cheer squad:

"We don't smoke!
We don't drink!
Nor-folk! Nor-folk!"

They're good girls, ya know.

:lalala::lalala::lalala:

****Montecello.....Montecello......Montecello****

That would be Naw-Fuk.

True story, so I'm told.

The United States Embassy in London is situated in the borough of Westminster (Grosvenor Square). This borough is unique in that it's all privately owned land, as opposed to belonging to the local authority. Everyone (and I mean everyone) pays a lease to the landowner, the Duke of Westminster. A few years ago the Americans got sick and tired of having to pay such exorbitante rates, so they offered to buy the freehold from the Duke. His immediate - not to mention appropriately flippant - reply was that he'd only consider selling them the freehold if they handed over the land his family had confiscated from them in Virginia after the War of Independence.

Although I am from Kansas and live in Oklahoma, as any American I see Virginia as a very special place.

George Washington, Yorktown, Williamsburg. Not to mention the men and places of the civil war. Robert E. Lee was a Virginian.

I have been lucky enough to have been to Virginia several times. You have to take good care of it, because Virginia has meaning for all Americans.
Achmed blew himself and others up and George Washington met him at the entrance to paradise. George slapped him across the face and yelled, "How dare you try to destroy the nation I helped conceive!"

Then Patrick Henry approached and punched him in the nose and broke it: "You wanted to end our liberties but you failed!"

James Madison then came by. He head butted him then kicked him in the nuts: "This is why I allowed our government to provide for the common defense!"

Thomas Jefferson was next; he beat Achmed with several knee kicks to his diaphragm and topped it off with a great elbow slam to the back of Achmed's head: "It was evil men like you who inspired me to write the Declaration of Independence."

The beatings and thrashings continued as George Mason, James Monroe and other early Americans unleashed their anger on the terrorist.

As Achmed lay at the entrance, bleeding, bruised, swollen and in pain, Achmed cried out, "Allah, where is the paradise you promised? Where are my 72 virgins?"

God spoke: "Virgins? I said Virginians. Looks like a simple typo - a human thing, you know."

True story, so I'm told.

The United States Embassy in London is situated in the borough of Westminster (Grosvenor Square). This borough is unique in that it's all privately owned land, as opposed to belonging to the local authority. Everyone (and I mean everyone) pays a lease to the landowner, the Duke of Westminster. A few years ago the Americans got sick and tired of having to pay such exorbitante rates, so they offered to buy the freehold from the Duke. His immediate - not to mention appropriately flippant - reply was that he'd only consider selling them the freehold if they handed over the land his family had confiscated from them in Virginia after the War of Independence.

I like staying in Grosvenor Square because I can avoid being thrown into debtor's prison and being sentenced to Botnay Bay.

True story, so I'm told.

Lord Fairfax was a heavy hitter @ these parts too. General Braddock was busy here as well.

220px-Seal_of_Virginia.svg.png

I've noticed for some time that there seems to be a statistically significant higher number of posters from the Commonwealth of Virginia at USMB.

Off the top of my head there is

Si modo (yours truly)
Ringel
Old Navy
DotCom
Warrior102
Navy1960
Emma
ThreeofSeven
pinqy

Now, I'm not a native Virginian, rather a Virginian by choice.

I know I've forgotten several others, but it's interesting that so many Virginians are on this site. I find that pretty cool.

(The next highest represented state is another commonwealth, it seems - Mass. But this is all about Virginia, here. Get your own thread for some wicked bad affiliations.)

You add me to the list.

Forum List

Back