Virginia!

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
220px-Seal_of_Virginia.svg.png

I've noticed for some time that there seems to be a statistically significant higher number of posters from the Commonwealth of Virginia at USMB.

Off the top of my head the list is

Si modo (yours truly)
Ringel
Old Navy
DotCom
Warrior102
Navy1960
Emma
ThreeofSeven
pinqy
PratchettFan

Now, I'm not a native Virginian, rather a Virginian by choice.

I know I've forgotten several others, but it's interesting that so many Virginians are on this site. I find that pretty cool.

(The next highest represented state is another commonwealth, it seems - Mass. But this is all about Virginia, here. Get your own thread for some wicked bad affiliations.)

Last edited:
A great state to tote a gun in, I might add!
Very protective of 2nd Amendment rights. Damn, Maryland is crazy on that stuff.

Virginia has a lot going for it, geographically and for day trips: Ocean, great bay for sportsmen, mountains, agriculturally rich flatlands,

We have wonderful US history: Colonization, American Revolution, Civil War.

Politically, we are diverse and not easily pigeon-holed.

We have great rednecks and great cultural snobs.

Yeah, I think I'll stay. :)

Last edited:
I lived in Richmond Virginia for 2 years after I got out of the service, the company I worked for shut down and I had to move. I loved it there and I would still be there if the company didn't close down.

I lived in Richmond Virginia for 2 years after I got out of the service, the company I worked for shut down and I had to move. I loved it there and I would still be there if the company didn't close down.
I've been here a bit over two years (was in Mary-stalin-land before here) - not long, either. So, you can be Virginian by choice as I am!

Yeah, I was spending more time in Richmond earlier this year. Great town.

I've been here a bit over two years (was in Mary-stalin-land before here) - not long, either. So, you can be Virginian by choice as I am!

Alot of history there, hard to believe it was the capital of the confederacy.

Rode the Motorcycle down to Cold Harbor a couple weeks ago - did the self-tour of the battlefield there. Last weekend, down in Virginia Beach. WONDERFUL state. The Navy brought me here (Norfolk) 30 years ago and I never left!

Rode the Motorcycle down to Cold Harbor a couple weeks ago - did the self-tour of the battlefield there. Last weekend, down in Virginia Beach. WONDERFUL state. The Navy brought me here (Norfolk) 30 years ago and I never left!
See, I have a LOT more exploring of this state to do.

As you know, I FINALLY took your advice to drive 211 - Lee Highway - from Luray back home. Beautiful towns, beautiful scenery, and wonderfully maintained roads to drive.

(Luckily, my car is fabulous on mileage, so drives aren't all that hard on my pocket.)

My father was posted at Ft. Lee, and we lived near Petersburg from 1974-1976. We had a ski boat and we'd bring it down to the James River. Also canoed the Rappahoanok (sp?). I've wanted to return with my kids to see Williamsburg and Yorktown, Montecello (sp?) and Appomatox (sp?).

Why are so many places in Vagina hard to spell?:confused:

My father was posted at Ft. Lee, and we lived near Petersburg from 1974-1976. We had a ski boat and we'd bring it down to the James River. Also canoed the Rappahoanok (sp?). I've wanted to return with my kids to see Williamsburg and Yorktown, Montecello (sp?) and Appomatox (sp?).

:lol:

When in doubt, double a consonant.

Although I am from Kansas and live in Oklahoma, as any American I see Virginia as a very special place.

George Washington, Yorktown, Williamsburg. Not to mention the men and places of the civil war. Robert E. Lee was a Virginian.

I have been lucky enough to have been to Virginia several times. You have to take good care of it, because Virginia has meaning for all Americans.

Injun names.

As you know, I FINALLY took your advice to drive 211 - Lee Highway - from Luray back home. Beautiful towns, beautiful scenery, and wonderfully maintained roads to drive.

(Luckily, my car is fabulous on mileage, so drives aren't all that hard on my pocket.)

There's so much OFF the tourist map - you have to do some research to find these places - like to old POW camp at Belle Plains where they brought J.W. Booth's body Camp of Confederate prisoners at Belle Plain | American Civil War -
the monument in the middle of the median where they shot him! (At Fort A. P. Hill, the site of Garrett's Barn is in the median strip of US 301. It is marked by a sign in the northbound lanes. This is the site where John Wilkes Booth was killed in 1865. Booth had met Confederate soldiers at Port Royal, Virginia, also on US 301, foremost among them Captain William S. Jett, who was later captured at Bowling Green, Virginia.)

Or Lincoln's visit to this place - way off the beaten path.... Perseus:image:2001.05.0110.fig00272

Just to name a few......:eusa_whistle:

There's so much OFF the tourist map - you have to do some research to find these places - like to old POW camp at Belle Plains where they brought J.W. Booth's body Camp of Confederate prisoners at Belle Plain | American Civil War -
the monument in the middle of the median where they shot him! (At Fort A. P. Hill, the site of Garrett's Barn is in the median strip of US 301. It is marked by a sign in the northbound lanes. This is the site where John Wilkes Booth was killed in 1865. Booth had met Confederate soldiers at Port Royal, Virginia, also on US 301, foremost among them Captain William S. Jett, who was later captured at Bowling Green, Virginia.)

Or Lincoln's visit to this place - way off the beaten path.... Perseus:image:2001.05.0110.fig00272

Just to name a few......:eusa_whistle:
That is EXACTLY the type of info I need.

Thanks!

That is EXACTLY the type of info I need.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I have tons of it. That's what I do. Hop on the motorcycle and find places like this.

I been to Norfolk a few times, I actually spent the night there on the way to my last deployment in the sandbox, it is an awesome city.

Although I am from Kansas and live in Oklahoma, as any American I see Virginia as a very special place.

George Washington, Yorktown, Williamsburg. Not to mention the men and places of the civil war. Robert E. Lee was a Virginian.

I have been lucky enough to have been to Virginia several times. You have to take good care of it, because Virginia has meaning for all Americans.
Some folks complain about living in designated historic places because of restrictions on what they can and cannot do with their property.

But, I find Virginia's Historical Society is one of the best there is. (PA also has a good one.)

So, I am not too worried about that because they do a great job, IMO.

Forum List

Back