Virginia women protest "state mandated rape"

Rick Santorum opposes insurance-paid screenings for birth defects, saying they'll lead to abortions
February 22, 2012, 10:09 AM

WASHINGTON — First birth control, now prenatal testing? Once again a fact of life for many American women has become a jarring issue in the presidential race.

Republican candidate and former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum is making free screenings for birth defects part of his attack on President Barack Obama’s health care law. Santorum charges that the law requiring insurers to cover the tests is a way to encourage more women to have abortions that will “cull the ranks of the disabled in our society.”

Obama re-election campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith called Santorum’s remarks “misinformed and dangerous.” She said the tests help bring about safer deliveries for mothers and babies.
In what should be a decision between a woman and her doctor, Rick Santorum wishes to impose himself as the 3rd party in this relationship!

Heaven forbid that women in America become too knowledgable about the health of their fetus and make decisions that might contradict his personal convictions.

Last edited:
Hmmm...you mean like seeing pictures of their babies before they opt to kill it?

In THAT case most of the baby killers are definitely ANTI-knowledge.

Also there is nothing in HB 462 that mandates the use of transvaginal ultrasound rather than abdominal ultrasound.
read it yourself.....LIS > Bill Tracking > HB462 > 2012 session

Yes, that is the revised version of the Bill...

The Virginia House of Delegates passed on Wednesday a revised version of a GOP-sponsored informed consent bill that would require women to undergo an ultrasound at least 24 hours before having an abortion. The new bill, which requires women to receive an external, transabdominal ultrasound rather than a more invasive transvaginal ultrasound, passed by a vote of 65-32.

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) revoked his support for the original bill just minutes before the House began debate on it, saying that the government did not have the power to require the transvaginal procedure.

"Mandating an invasive procedure in order to give informed consent is not a proper role for the state," McDonnell said in a statement. "No person should be directed to undergo an invasive procedure by the state, without their consent, as a precondition to another medical procedure."

"For this reason ... I am requesting that the General Assembly amend this bill to explicitly state that no woman in Virginia will have to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound involuntarily. I am asking the General Assembly to state in this legislation that only a transabdominal, or external, ultrasound will be required to satisfy the requirements to determine gestational age. Should a doctor determine that another form of ultrasound may be necessary to provide the necessary images and information that will be an issue for the doctor and the patient. The government will have no role in that medical decision," he said.

Virginia House Speaker William Howell (R) said during floor debates on the measure that McDonnell had helped GOP House members amend the bill based on the recommendations in his statement.

Virginia Ultrasound Bill Passes In House [UPDATE]

I'm so sure Snarktimonious Si will be along any moment now to tell the Virginia Legislature to "wake up" and "pay attention" cuz she is "not so sure {they} can figure out" that issue is merely doctors practicing "defensive medicine". :lol:
Then I was absolutely correct when I earlier posted that I suspected that you haven't the capacity to figure it out. Now, we await your whine.

:thup:

Also there is nothing in HB 462 that mandates the use of transvaginal ultrasound rather than abdominal ultrasound.

The Virginia House of Delegates passed on Wednesday a revised version of a GOP-sponsored informed consent bill that would require women to undergo an ultrasound at least 24 hours before having an abortion. The new bill, which requires women to receive an external, transabdominal ultrasound rather than a more invasive transvaginal ultrasound, passed by a vote of 65-32.

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) revoked his support for the original bill just minutes before the House began debate on it, saying that the government did not have the power to require the transvaginal procedure.

"Mandating an invasive procedure in order to give informed consent is not a proper role for the state," McDonnell said in a statement. "No person should be directed to undergo an invasive procedure by the state, without their consent, as a precondition to another medical procedure."

"For this reason ... I am requesting that the General Assembly amend this bill to explicitly state that no woman in Virginia will have to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound involuntarily. I am asking the General Assembly to state in this legislation that only a transabdominal, or external, ultrasound will be required to satisfy the requirements to determine gestational age. Should a doctor determine that another form of ultrasound may be necessary to provide the necessary images and information that will be an issue for the doctor and the patient. The government will have no role in that medical decision," he said.

Virginia House Speaker William Howell (R) said during floor debates on the measure that McDonnell had helped GOP House members amend the bill based on the recommendations in his statement.

I'm so sure Snarktimonious Si will be along any moment now to tell the Virginia Legislature to "wake up" and "pay attention" cuz she is "not so sure {they} can figure out" that issue is merely doctors practicing "defensive medicine". :lol:

OOooKkkaayyy...

Si modo said:
Hi, you have received -715 reputation points from Si modo.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Whine about the eng, now. ;)

Regards,
Si modo

Note: This is an automated message.

Sorry, Sanctimonious Si just fits her better. Sanrktimonious implies some intelligence. Just fyi.

Sorry, Sanctimonious Si just fits her better. Sankrintintintonkamus implies some intelligence. Just fyi.

:lol: Yes, but in this case, Si was more snarky than sanctimonious so...........

Last edited:
mommydearest.jpg

LOL! I see my typo made her Sankamonious Si. Maybe she really does need to cut down on caffeine. :lol:

She'll always be sanctimonious though, it's inbred.

(and yeah, she'll report me for saying inbred like it's an attack on her family)

LOL! I see my typo made her Sankamonious Si. Maybe she really does need to cut down on caffeine. :lol:

She'll always be sanctimonious though, it's inbred.

(and yeah, she'll report me for saying inbred like it's an attack on her family)
Your typo is a result of any caffeine I may or may not have had?

Wow, you can't be responsible for any of your mistakes.

How's you day going, by the way?

Forum List

Back