Virginia watermen remove 28,000 ghost crab pots

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
GLOUCESTER, Va. — Virginia watermen have removed more than 28,000 "ghost" crab pots from the Chesapeake Bay watershed over the past three years as part of a federal and state effort to restore the crab population.

The Virginia Institute of Marine Science announced the results Friday, saying the program provided clear economic and environmental benefits.

Virginia received $15 million from the federal government in 2008 to restore the crab population, which had plummeted to record lows due to overharvesting, loss of habitat and pollution. The state set aside another $3.5 million to remove the "ghost" — or abandoned — crab pots that continued to catch and kill crabs.

Virginia watermen remove more than 28,000 'ghost' crab pots from Chesapeake Bay in 3 winters :: The Republic

DAMN!

z-789.jpg

By my calculator it comes out to about $5,000 per pot.

Could you demonstrate your math?

"Virginia received $15 million from the federal government in 2008 to restore the crab population, which had plummeted to record lows due to overharvesting, loss of habitat and pollution. The state set aside another $3.5 million to remove the "ghost" — or abandoned — crab pots that continued to catch and kill crabs."​

15,000,000 + 3,500,000 = 18,500,000

18,500,000 / 28,126 = $656.35 per pot

With fishing/crabbing being a fundamental source of income for many folks along the Chesapeake Bay, ensuring habitat of the fisheries sounds like a good commercial investment.

>>>>

Did you factor this into your republican equations?:
The state outfitted 70 watermen, many of whom were unemployed because the state canceled the winter dredge season. They were paid $300 per day plus fuel costs.

Only $3.5 mil was set aside for removing the pots too.
Virginia received $15 million from the federal government in 2008 to restore the crab population, which had plummeted to record lows due to overharvesting, loss of habitat and pollution.

Last edited:
The state outfitted 70 watermen, many of whom were unemployed because the state canceled the winter dredge season. They were paid $300 per day plus fuel costs.

Virginia received $15 million from the federal government in 2008 to restore the crab population, which had plummeted to record lows due to overharvesting, loss of habitat and pollution.

Hooray for the Waterman but how are you going to restore the crab population without puting the Watermen out of work? It's typical of the enviro radicals who operate on emotion instead of reality to call the salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots a victory because Waterman got a winter's work at $300 per day. The pots do sell on the yuppie souvenir market. I wonder if they had to turn them over to some nameless federal bureaucracy for destruction?

Hooray for the Waterman but how are you going to restore the crab population without puting the Watermen out of work?

Sustainable farming.

It's typical of the enviro radicals who operate on emotion instead of reality to call the salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots a victory because Waterman got a winter's work at $300 per day. The pots do sell on the yuppie souvenir market. I wonder if they had to turn them over to some nameless federal bureaucracy for destruction?

The program goes well beyond "salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots".

70 waterman * $300 per day * 90 days = $1,890,000

Lets call it $3,000,000 once you factor in fuel to be generous.

The full program includes aspects the focus on restoring habitat through ghost pot removal, marsh grass wetland restoration, improved forestation of surrounding dry lands, reducing runoff of pesticides and other pollutants, and improved oxygenation by decgreasing summer algee blooms.

>>>>

Last edited:

Naturally this *DIPSHIT* has to be the partisan FUCK in the equation.

Hooray for the Waterman but how are you going to restore the crab population without puting the Watermen out of work?

Sustainable farming.

It's typical of the enviro radicals who operate on emotion instead of reality to call the salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots a victory because Waterman got a winter's work at $300 per day. The pots do sell on the yuppie souvenir market. I wonder if they had to turn them over to some nameless federal bureaucracy for destruction?

The full program includes aspects the focus on restoring habitat through ghost pot removal, marsh grass wetland restoration, improved forestation of surrounding dry lands, reducing runoff of pesticides and other pollutants, and improved oxygenation by decgreasing summer algee blooms.

>>>>

"Sustainable Farming". Just the kind of enviro-babble that makes the left feel all fuzzy. I was responding to the initial post in which Mr. Bond seemed to think it was an incredible accomplishment to recover 28,000 derelect crab pots. The truth of the matter is that federal programs have been in place for decades to try to improve the Chesapeake. The Feds will actually pay for tree planting as far away from the coast as the West Va. border. Another 15 million fed money matched by 3.5 million state money to recover 28,000 old crab pots still comes out to about $5,000 per pot divided up between the Watermen and the various parasite bureaucracies that live off taxpayer money.

Sustainable farming.

>>>>

"Sustainable Farming". Just the kind of enviro-babble that makes the left feel all fuzzy. I was responding to the initial post in which Mr. Bond seemed to think it was an incredible accomplishment to recover 28,000 derelect crab pots. The truth of the matter is that federal programs have been in place for decades to try to improve the Chesapeake. The Feds will actually pay for tree planting as far away from the coast as the West Va. border. Another 15 million fed money matched by 3.5 million state money to recover 28,000 old crab pots still comes out to about $5,000 per pot divided up between the Watermen and the various parasite bureaucracies that live off taxpayer money.

Believe as you wish, but your math is still wrong.

>>>>

It says they received $15 million to restore the crab population not to collect crab pots. Restoring the crab population includes habitat, enforcing crabbing laws, creating estuaries....

It says that $3.5 million was used to collect discarded pots

$3.5 mil/ 28,000 pots = $124 per pot

When I first read the thread title, I thought "Why would anyone use pots to catch ghost crabs?"

ghost%20crab%2050904%20ocracoke.jpg

I'm informed that the overfishing of predatory fish has caused a boom on lobster harvests.

Apparently with so many predatory fish on the decline, more lobster larvae and young bugs get to live long enough to end in the traps.

I am also informed, that back when the nation was first being populated a big storm would leave walls of lobsters piled on the beaches, too, so apparently our ocean has been lsing its biomass for quite some time.

Lobster used to be food that only poor people ate.

It was though pig food by the early colonialists.

I'm informed that the overfishing of predatory fish has caused a boom on lobster harvests.

Apparently with so many predatory fish on the decline, more lobster larvae and young bugs get to live long enough to end in the traps.

I am also informed, that back when the nation was first being populated a big storm would leave walls of lobsters piled on the beaches, too, so apparently our ocean has been lsing its biomass for quite some time.

BIG change in who eats lobster!! Many people around the Bay are poor - the only wealth down there are the "come heres" who buy up all the waterfront property they can get. The locals don't really like the "come heres," but they greatly depend on the money they spend in the summer while they're there. It's a poor economy for most of the "been heres." Those who work in the fishing industry have to work their asses off to supply seafood to an evermore demanding public.

I know this because I lived there for a couple years. When we wanted crab we went down to a marina, sat on a pier and dropped chicken wings/necks tied on a string. We got our bucket of crabs in a short time and went home to make our feast.

I have issues with "storm trooper" environmentalists.

BIG change in who eats lobster!! Many people around the Bay are poor - the only wealth down there are the "come heres" who buy up all the waterfront property they can get. The locals don't really like the "come heres," but they greatly depend on the money they spend in the summer while they're there. It's a poor economy for most of the "been heres." Those who work in the fishing industry have to work their asses off to supply seafood to an evermore demanding public.

I know this because I lived there for a couple years. When we wanted crab we went down to a marina, sat on a pier and dropped chicken wings/necks tied on a string. We got our bucket of crabs in a short time and went home to make our feast.

I have issues with "storm trooper" environmentalists.

Everyone seems to whine about something even when it's good news. The fishing industry works their asses off because there is a demand for their product and they ....gasp....make money doing it. If they are incorporated they are on Obama's hit list of people who make obscene profits and they have to work that much harder to overcome high gas prices and the confiscation of a percentage of their salaries to fund gigantic do-nothing federal bureaucracies.

Hooray for the Waterman but how are you going to restore the crab population without puting the Watermen out of work? It's typical of the enviro radicals who operate on emotion instead of reality to call the salvage of 28,000 broken down crab pots a victory because Waterman got a winter's work at $300 per day. The pots do sell on the yuppie souvenir market. I wonder if they had to turn them over to some nameless federal bureaucracy for destruction?

You missed the point. It's not just the $300 a day, but all the crabs that won't die in ghost pots, are now available for those same watermen to harvest. As far as losing work, that's been happening for decades as the crab population declined. This could only help to put them back to work. :clap2:

What an epic waste of my money.

Why didn't her state cough up the money if they cared so damn much?

and the libs are bragging this is a good thing. No wonder they don't want to cut spending.

Forum List

Back