Virginia police issue $100 ticket to driver smoking with child in car: 'We are watching'

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
As a ex cigarette smoker and still smoke my cigars on the fence about this. Cops have better things to do buy smoking with children in the car , I always felt was wrong, I never did it when my daughter was little

Virginia police issue $100 ticket to driver smoking with child in car: 'We are watching'

Virginia police can issue the $100 fine to anyone smoking in a car with a child under 8 years of age, according to WAVY-TV. However, it constitutes as a secondary offense, meaning the driver has to be pulled over for a separate traffic violation first.

The law went into effect in July of 2016. Since then, the Virginia Beach Police Department has issued roughly 23 tickets of this kind, WAVY-TV reported.

As a ex cigarette smoker and still smoke my cigars on the fence about this. Cops have better things to do buy smoking with children in the car , I always felt was wrong, I never did it when my daughter was little

Virginia police can issue the $100 fine to anyone smoking in a car with a child under 8 years of age, according to WAVY-TV. However, it constitutes as a secondary offense, meaning the driver has to be pulled over for a separate traffic violation first.

The law went into effect in July of 2016. Since then, the Virginia Beach Police Department has issued roughly 23 tickets of this kind, WAVY-TV reported.

No...see, this didn't actually happen. The anti smoking crowd told us they just wanted a separate area in restaurants for smokers...that's all......right? This couldn't actually have happened since this isn't a restaurant...

No...see, this didn't actually happen. The anti smoking crowd told us they just wanted a separate area in restaurants for smokers...that's all......right? This couldn't actually have happened since this isn't a restaurant...

Yea I see your angle with it begins at restaurants and went to bars and now in cars.. but these are your little ones we are talking about.. you shouldn't smoke around them.

You know, that was one of the things I hated when I was a kid. Both my Grandmother and my Aunt Laurie smoked, and whenever we went on long trips, both would smoke with us kids in the car.

Main reason I didn't like it is because it made me carsick. On one hand, I can see where this could benefit children, but on the other hand, it seems like an over reach of the law.

Personally? I think it's a dumb law.

I can take you further back than that. I remember when they first made movie theaters non-smoking. When I was a kid, they had a smoking section and a non-smoking section. Then the smoking Nazi's got their way and had smoking banned in all cinemas. At the time, they said that's all they wanted.

You were still allowed to smoke in the waiting area and bathrooms, but not in the theater itself.

It's one thing I often bring up when talking about gun control. They say they only want X, but when X becomes the law, they keep advancing and advancing until they get what they ultimately want. It's better to stop them at first demand than to suffer dozens of demand later on down the road.

Back to the topic: yes, it's wrong for people to smoke in the car with any non-smoker in it. But it's also not governments business either.

What kind of monsters smoke wh kids in the car?

The story says it’s a secondary fine. Read tween the lines . They pull over the person for speeding but cut them a break wh the smoking fine so it doesn’t mess up their insurance . Same happens wh seatbelt fines .

I can take you further back than that. I remember when they first made movie theaters non-smoking. When I was a kid, they had a smoking section and a non-smoking section. Then the smoking Nazi's got their way and had smoking banned in all cinemas. At the time, they said that's all they wanted.

You were still allowed to smoke in the waiting area and bathrooms, but not in the theater itself.

It's one thing I often bring up when talking about gun control. They say they only want X, but when X becomes the law, they keep advancing and advancing until they get what they ultimately want. It's better to stop them at first demand than to suffer dozens of demand later on down the road.

Back to the topic: yes, it's wrong for people to smoke in the car with any non-smoker in it. But it's also not governments business either.

The giant hole in your argument is that there is no amendment for smoking rights .

I smoked with kids in the car, sure, I don't care if yous likes it or not, they're my kids..

Saftey my ass, why do kids in school buses have zero fucking seat belts?

Why can people on motorcycles not have to wear fucking helmets??

Safety my ass, just another reason to pull you over so they can stick their big fat noses in yer business...Fuck 'em...

So many peoples lives are devoid of meaning they seek it in do gooderism laws and tell themselves they are saving lives......if I was a cop I'd get fired for not writing enough of this BS

Oops meant to put this in current events.
You're fired!
i think i got pulled over 4 or 5 times for smoking while driving with my pet orangutang in the back seat
They don't ever stop me when I'm burning a doobie...
but what if the Pet is driving and smoking with the owner in the passanger seat? is the law the same?
Only if the dog has been boozing it up at the teet bar.

Oops meant to put this in current events.
You're fired!
i think i got pulled over 4 or 5 times for smoking while driving with my pet orangutang in the back seat
They don't ever stop me when I'm burning a doobie...
but what if the Pet is driving and smoking with the owner in the passanger seat? is the law the same?
Only if the dog has been boozing it up at the teet bar.
what about toonces the cat?...I hear she smokes pot while driving all the time

The giant hole in your argument is that there is no amendment for smoking rights .

No, the giant hole is the point went right over your head.

What kind of monsters smoke wh kids in the car?

The story says it’s a secondary fine. Read tween the lines . They pull over the person for speeding but cut them a break wh the smoking fine so it doesn’t mess up their insurance . Same happens wh seatbelt fines .

Secondary fine my ass. I've seen people speed by cops 15 mph over the limit, and they don't do anything until they see somebody without a seatbelt going 5 mph over the limit.

The bottom line of course is that this is none of governments business. If I want government to raise my kid, I'll give my kids up for adoption.

Forum List

Back