Virginia Offers Tech Shooting Victims' Families $100,000 Each in Settlement

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
RICHMOND, Va — A relative of a Virginia Tech shooting victim says the families of those killed would receive $100,000 each under a settlement designed to prevent lawsuits.

The family member received a copy of the settlement and asked Monday to remain anonymous because those involved were told not to discuss it.

The person says medical and counseling expenses would be provided to the families and surviving victims. They also would have the opportunity to question the governor and university officials about the shootings.

Families were asked to say by Monday whether they were comfortable with the proposal. If they agree, they cannot sue the state government, including Virginia Tech.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341230,00.html

It is absolutely ridiculous that suing the state or the University is even an option here. Hopefully, one day common sense will catch up to us.

i tend to agree.

although...there are some questions of negligence in regards to this obviously very disturbed individual. and there was the delay in letting campus know about the events.

It is absolutely ridiculous that suing the state or the University is even an option here. Hopefully, one day common sense will catch up to us.

Why? UVA is the school that didn't tell the students there was a gunman loose for something like 2 hours. They also knew the kid had huge problems. I think they're definitely at risk for a findings of liability.

Why don't you?

I also disagree with a settlement. the school could not predict this event. do we sue landlords because crime happens on their property? do we prosecute wal mart for allowing shoplifting?

I also disagree with a settlement. the school could not predict this event. do we sue landlords because crime happens on their property? do we prosecute wal mart for allowing shoplifting?

Answer: Yes...if they undertake a duty to protect and perform that duty negligently or otherwise have a statutory duty to protect and fail to do so.

shoplifting doesn't hurt another human being.

But we do sue wal-mart if their security guard doesn't stop someone from beating the bejesus out of you in the parking lot.

Answer: Yes...if they undertake a duty to protect and perform that duty negligently or otherwise have a statutory duty to protect and fail to do so.

shoplifting doesn't hurt another human being.

But we do sue wal-mart if their security guard doesn't stop someone from beating the bejesus out of you in the parking lot.

do you have a source for that? I've never heard of wal mart being sued because their securty gurad didn't keep someone from getting their ass beat in the parking lot.

nix shoplifting then; do BANKS get sued for being robbed?

It's unreasonable to expect a University to predict this kind of event just like it's a little silly to assume that every criminal action on their property is their duty to prevent. Crime happens on campus all the time and we don't sue the universities.

Do univs. get sued if someone gets raped too? I don't recall hearing as much ever. drunk driving accident? mugged?

Why? UVA is the school that didn't tell the students there was a gunman loose for something like 2 hours. They also knew the kid had huge problems. I think they're definitely at risk for a findings of liability.

Why don't you?

The University had zero control over the individuals actions. The reason it wasn't released to the public was for fear of public panic. After the first crime, their was no way of knowing what was to come. When NYPD finds a dead body, do they shut down the city until the killer is found? No.

The University had zero control over the individuals actions. The reason it wasn't released to the public was for fear of public panic. After the first crime, their was no way of knowing what was to come. When NYPD finds a dead body, do they shut down the city until the killer is found? No.
when it is at a school YOU DO....lock down.

the killer was loose on campus....they knew it, they told no one? that appears to be negligent? if that had not happened, i would agree with you, that the school can't stop all crime...

care

why would the families of the 9/11 victims be able to sue the usa government for the tragic deaths of their relatives....the usa gvt did not commit the crime? some Saudi's did?:eusa_think:

do you have a source for that? I've never heard of wal mart being sued because their securty gurad didn't keep someone from getting their ass beat in the parking lot.

Really? I was involved in a case where Home Depot had to fork out an awful lot of money to someone who got dropped on his head in their parking lot. If you undertake a duty, you have an obligation to do it properly.

nix shoplifting then; do BANKS get sued for being robbed?

You're missing the whole negligence plus injury thing.

It's unreasonable to expect a University to predict this kind of event just like it's a little silly to assume that every criminal action on their property is their duty to prevent. Crime happens on campus all the time and we don't sue the universities.

Do univs. get sued if someone gets raped too? I don't recall hearing as much ever. drunk driving accident? mugged?

They weren't negligent for not being able to predict the kid would shoot up the campus. They were arguablly negligent for failing to lock down the school and warn the kids.

the killer was loose on campus....they knew it, they told no one? that appears to be negligent? if that had not happened, i would agree with you, that the school can't stop all crime...

care

How do you "lock down" a campus. Universities are uncontrolled environments, not prisons. That dog don't hunt.

care

You would use more officers trying to lock down a university then would be worth the gain. Those officers should be out looking for the shooting, not trying to ensure all the little kiddies are safe and snug in their beds.

Forum List

Back