Virginia GOP to require loyalty oath from primary voters

I guess the GOP figured that since they stayed loyal to the pledge they signed for Grover Norquist, they could ask the same of the voters.

This is proof that the GOP is nervous about their current candidates going up against Obama.

Not any more nervous than Eric Holder and Obama hearing about states pushing for the use of voter IDs, to prove you are the registered individual you "claim" to be. That would solve the issue beyond any need for an "oath pledge", and rumours of Democrats infiltrating GOP primary elections. Let them prove who they are through a photo ID like they do with cigarettes and liquor, no problems in obtaining purchases for either with respect to minorities and the poor . . . . interesting.

Last edited:
Virginia GOP requires loyalty oath from primary voters | The Raw Story

The Virginia Republican Party is planning to force voters who wish to participate in the March 6 primary to sign a loyalty oath.

The Virginia State Board of Elections has given the party permission to go ahead with their plans to make primary voters pledge their support to the eventual nominee no matter who it is.

“The code of Virginia allows for political parties to require individuals who wish to participate in presidential primaries to sign a pledge that he or she will support the party’s candidate in the general election,” Board of Elections Deputy Director Justin Riemer told NBC Washington.

According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch, voters will be required to sign a document that reads: “I, the undersigned, pledge that I intend to support the nominee of the Republican Party for president.”

Thoughts USMB?

I cannot imagine this would be legally binding.

Gimme eat!

SparkNotes: Catch-22: Chapters 11

Apparently there is now. And it has to do with the State GOP screwing up their primary. Basically stating since they have only 2 candidates on their ballot--should someone else win the nomination--then their primary voters PLEDGE to vote for the GOP nominee.

» VA GOP Changed Ballot Access Rules Last Month - Big Government

Same thing as Rush trying to subvert the democratic process with his urging of dishonest crossover voting in the 2008 primaries and conventions.
...which is what the VA GOP's oath is trying to prevent.

The way to prevent it is to not have open primaries. They just beg for mischief and it works both ways, if the other party has an unopposed candidate.

How exactly would this be enforced?

A primary vote is just that. A vote as to who is the preferred candidate for that party. A lot can happen in the 6-10 months between a primary and the general election

Not any more nervous than Eric Holder and Obama hearing about states pushing for the use of voter IDs, to prove you are the registered individual you "claim" to be. That would solve the issue beyond any need for an "oath pledge", and rumours of Democrats infiltrating GOP primary elections. Let them prove who they are through a photo ID like they do with cigarettes and liquor, no problems in obtaining purchases for either with respect to minorities and the poor . . . . interesting.

What the Hell are you talking about? This has nothing to do with voter ID laws.

Same thing as Rush trying to subvert the democratic process with his urging of dishonest crossover voting in the 2008 primaries and conventions.
...which is what the VA GOP's oath is trying to prevent.

The way to prevent it is to not have open primaries. They just beg for mischief and it works both ways, if the other party has an unopposed candidate.

Open primaries are the best and most democratic of procedures.

The effect is to create consensus candidates instead of loons from the far left or the far right.

It's an attempt to prevent Dem shenanigans in VA's open primary. Of course, it won't work. People who are willing to lie and claim they're Republicans are willing to break an oath.
The same as Rush's conservatives who were unable to pervert their opponents' conventions and primaries in 2008. Glad to see you thinking straight on this, even though as a reactionary you don't think straight normally.
, Rush isn't the only who has ever suggested this.. I read just the other day where the Democrats are calling for their voters to do the same thing Rush suggested. can't remember where I read it, I'll try and find it.
Both sides are wrong. Of course, Stephanie would do in a heartbeat that which he condemns the democracts for doing. I have no use for Rush or Stephanie or Democrats or Republicans who subvert the other party in such a fashion.

The Virginia Republican Party is planning to force voters who wish to participate in the March 6 primary to sign a loyalty oath.

The Virginia State Board of Elections has given the party permission to go ahead with their plans to make primary voters pledge their support to the eventual nominee no matter who it is.

“The code of Virginia allows for political parties to require individuals who wish to participate in presidential primaries to sign a pledge that he or she will support the party’s candidate in the general election,” Board of Elections Deputy Director Justin Riemer told NBC Washington.

According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch, voters will be required to sign a document that reads: “I, the undersigned, pledge that I intend to support the nominee of the Republican Party for president.”

Thoughts USMB?

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles....

The far righties have run from this statement: "Both sides are wrong. Of course, Stephanie would do in a heartbeat that which he condemns the democracts for doing. I have no use for Rush or Stephanie or Democrats or Republicans who subvert the other party in such a fashion."

Why? Because the rushbots support it when they do it, and condemn the other side when it does it.

Presidential primaries; prohibits use of pledge or loyalty oath as a qualification for voter participation. Amending § 24.2-545. (Patron-Potts, SB 229)

ELECTIONS

Virginia.gov - Search Results
type in: loyalty oath

Or search for the senate bill.
From my reading of it, looks like the bill regarding the Loyalty Oaths you cited was presented in 2000, and died in committee.

So, I'm not sure what your point was...

There is no such requirement in the Commonwealth, assbreath. Don't believe everything you read on the Internets, you ignorant inbred.

Hey, assbreath, swallow this. There will indeed be such a requirement.

Ah, no there isn't - assclown.

And I don't participate in the primaries anyhow.

I will vote for the nominee - Romney - in the general election.

Tighten up that tinfoil hat boy

No conspiracy theory here.
Every time I read one of your posts, I think that guy must smoking some pretty strong shit.

Thoughts USMB?

It's pretty stupid.

Forum List

Back